What's new

AC68P security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gobtron

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

So I want to hook a USB drive to my router to share the whole drive in the network. I also want to access it remotely. I would like to make backups of my laptop's hdd on it too, so it would contain personal information that I don't want to share. But it would be nice to have access to it remotely too.

So what should I do to have excellent security on my system? I guess could setup a password for the folders I don't want to share. Should I also encrypt what I don' want to share? So if the system is compromised, nobody can do anything with the files.

I heard that Asuswrt has a few security flaws concerning FTP and AiCloud.

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...e-been-pwned-thanks-to-easily-exploited-flaw/

So what should I think about to make the network safe?

You should look at the date on that report first, quite old. You will find alot others FW security issues back in time, they are obviously fixed already.

Cheers

Just enable sharing with user accounts, and define user/password accounts with access to those shares. For a LAN that will be safe enough.

If you need remote access, then look into either using a VPN or an SSH tunnel (the latter can be convenient for remote backups, using scp to copy files to the router).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!