What's new

Networking Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lucky

New Around Here
Hey Everyone,
I am new to computer networking, which is why I am here. This is my first post and I hope I'm in the correct group.
I am trying to set up a bird cam system and I keep running into issues that I didn't anticipate and I'm hoping I might get a little help.

I have a couple of miniture cameras I am installing inside of some bird boxes. They are PoE cameras, and I bought a PoE NVR that was supposed to be able to support 3rd party cameras. After I got the NVR, I found out that in order to support these cameras, I must plug them into a PoE switch and plug that into a router and then plug the router into the NVR, rather than plugging the cameras directly into the NVR. There is only 1 ethernet port on the NVR, so I won't be able to use it to connect a Wi-Fi Bridge so that I could access this system on my home internet. I want to keep the cameras and NVR on a seperate network so they won't be using bandwith on my home network, and will always be working regardless of my internet connection, but I would like to be able to access my NVR remotely so I can share videos and live shots with others.
For a switch, I am looking at the ANNKE 8FE PoE+2FE UP.
For a router, I am looking at the TP-Link AC1900.

I have attached a picture of what I was hoping to do, and a picture of what I have right now and would like to get some feedback on my plan before I invest another $160 on network equipment that I don’t know much about.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to share.

Attachments

• NVR Diagram.pdf
    456.3 KB · Views: 16
After I got the NVR, I found out that in order to support these cameras, I must plug them into a PoE switch

Why is this needed? Non-standard PoE on the NVR?

I don't know why this is the case. The NVR is an ANNKE and has 8 (supposedly) standard PoE ports. However, they say that a 3rd party camera won't work if its plugged directly into the PoE ports. I have attached the instructions from ANNKE for using 3rd party cameras and I've verified that the camera specs meet the requirements of the NVR, and I've also tested the camera to see if it works on any of the ports, and it doesn't. I've indicated the model NVR I have on the attached instructions.

Attachments

• ANNKE - Add IP Camera to PoE NVR.pdf
    853 KB · Views: 10