What's new

[AC68R] setting DNS question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ronan_zj

I have a quick question about setting up DNS.
I currently have 10 devices, and I want to know if it is possible to setup the router which can assign different DNS to each device?
for example, I want to assign one specific DNS to 4 devices, while the rest devices use the default DNS. I understand that I can manually assign DNS on each device, but I would love to know if it is possible to set it up on the AC68R directly?

Not with the stock firmware, you will need to go with a custom firmware to do that.

There are many ways to do so. You could configure dnsmasq to hand out a different DNS based on the device's MAC, for example. If you search on the forum I think this has been discussed in the recent weeks.

One other method would be to configure your router to force all DNS queries from a specific IP to go to a specific DNS server - that way even if the user were to manually change the DNS on its client (for example, if you want to enforce OpenDNS on a kid's PC), he would still be forced through the specified DNS.

The following iptable rule will force all DNS queries from 192.168.1.100 to be redirected to OpenDNS's DNS server:

Code:
iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.100 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 208.67.222.222

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!