What's new

[AC68U] Download master does not download torrents

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

same here, not everyone has a PC running 24/7;
with Download Master you can set downloading from work or from mobile device not being forced to switch the PC on;

I 've 10Mbit/s, using torrent once per day and it's really enough for me

I get it now. 10Mbit is no problem for any device. When you get into the hundreds of Mbits, then downloading torrents on a router becomes a bad idea. I personally have an rTorrent with ruTorrent setup on a dual-core /w HT intel based NAS that works non-stop and saves them on the local RAID 5 array. It handles a few hundred Mbps with no problem .

For sure but for me Download Master is one of the key reasons I actually use Asus routers in the first place.

Me too! Great feature. No more wasting energy leaving my PC on just for downloads, and the files are put directly onto media storage attached directly to the router ready to go to every device in the house.

What version of Download Master are you using? I'm running 3.1.0.84 and Download Master has worked solid for me from day one on RT-AC66U.

Me too! Great feature. No more wasting energy leaving my PC on just for downloads, and the files are put directly onto media storage attached directly to the router ready to go to every device in the house.

What version of Download Master are you using? I'm running 3.1.0.84 and Download Master has worked solid for me from day one on RT-AC66U.

I have a same version installed. Yes, DM works without any problems in AC66U but not in AC68U. Maybe I change back to AC66U again...

Hey there! I got a workaround.

First I installed DM (to get ipkg working)

then I followed this tutorial:
http://insinuations.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/guide-install-transmission/

I didn't need to format my hdd to ext2/3.. I just updated the file /opt/etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json with the right path that I want to download and worked like a charm :D

even magnet links are being read!! now i'm really happy with my order.. but its a shame these Asus crap firmwares

Magnet links have always worked for me on my AC68U, both with the original firmware and with the new .339 firmware. I don't know why, and can't offer any help, but wanted to let you know that for some people it just works.

That said it's not perfect... There are visual issues where completed torrents don't dissappear despite trying to remove them a few times, and sometimes using magnet links doesn't work the first time and you just need to try again if you don't get a confirmation that it was added properly.

Cheers,
|Mg|

I've got a question for you guys. Why would you even try downloading torrents on a router? Don't you have a PC that can actually handle the load?

I have never had anything good to say about router based torrent clients. I use uTorrent on a sff computer....so much better. Yes, i leave it on all the time...it runs Server 2012....only takes about 100 watts...and i can sleep it when not in use...so it save power.

A good alternative to router based or pc based torrenting ..is go get a raspberry pi...install a linux distro and use utorrent (or what ever client)...those things take very little power and perform far better than any router based torrent client i have used.

I have never had anything good to say about router based torrent clients. I use uTorrent on a sff computer....so much better. Yes, i leave it on all the time...it runs Server 2012....only takes about 100 watts...and i can sleep it when not in use...so it save power.

A good alternative to router based or pc based torrenting ..is go get a raspberry pi...install a linux distro and use utorrent (or what ever client)...those things take very little power and perform far better than any router based torrent client i have used.

I'm running utorrent+rutorrent on a QNAP NAS that takes only ~30W and has to work non-stop anyway :)

I'm running utorrent+rutorrent on a QNAP NAS that takes only ~30W and has to work non-stop anyway :)

Nice...but expensive...the average person probably wouldn't have such a device.

Task list is ok with hfs+ but Samba is not

I had somewhat similar issue: task list was empty

My 2TB usb hdd was in NTFS. Download actually worked but task list view got actually empty (after around 10 1.5gb movies were downloaded). I could add new task and see (through the Samba) how the file first appears first in InComplete and than in Complete folder.

Seen the suggestion to format in HFS+ and done it.
My fw version is 3.0.0.4.374_371

Now looks like the issue is gone (i can see the task list) but seems like Samba server is not working with HFS+

More details:
First i thought the download is not working since I saw this error in System Log:
Dec 15 23:02:31 transmission-daemon[1889]: Couldn't bind port 51413 on ::: Invalid request code (Is another copy of Transmission already running?) (net.c:406)

But I looks like it doesn't matter - the binding just occurs twice and the first is successful.

Will try newest firmware to get Samba up.

Read

3.0.0.4.374_454: Samba is semi-OK on HFS+, LAN issue

Recently I wrote that samba is not working on 371 FW

installed 3.0.0.4.374_454 and made factory reset, reconfigured everything (don't forget to setup workgroup name under USB Application->Servers Center->Miscelaneous setting)

BUT:
1. Weird but i CAN write files to usb hdd through Samba, but CAN'T read. Does anybody enconter this behavior?

2. My AV receiver have some issue with the network - it recieves an IP from the router and it's diagnostics says everything ok with internet connection but radio stations are not playing. It actually played for a minute but then the connection got lost and now I cant connect to any of them.

3.0.0.4.374_371: Samba is completely OK on HFS+, LAN issue

Update: previously I wrote "1. Weird but i CAN write files to usb hdd through Samba, but CAN'T read. Does anybody enconter this behavior?"

This is an issue with files I copied from my PC directly to usb hdd. Perhaps some weird permissions set. Newly downloaded files both by download master and via Samba read and write OK.

Noticed that sometimes DLNA server fails, I need to disable/enable it through the web GUI in order to make it working again.

Couple times per movie i have lags and need to replay the moments to get the sound and video resync when playing through DLNA over wi-fi (router is close to TV - 2 meters)

Also the signal strength: my old huawei modem-router delivered better signal strength and connectivity for the laptop in neighbour flat (behind the wall)

Magnet links are working again

Good news: Magnet links are working again.

I updated firmware to 3.0.0.4.374_501 and DM to 3.1.0.85 and everything seems to be back to normal again.

Also same problem..

I have an AC68U and had the same problem with a magnet on a EXT3 HDD. Some running download desappeared and trying adding the magnet again it told me it was already in queue.

I uninstalled download master, deleted all folders, restarted router and reinstalled donwload master and by now everything ok also with magnets.. hoping the problem will not raise up again..

I'm with Merlin latest firmware.

I only have a SAMBA problem.. normally it goes at 25MB/s when copying from router to PC, but sometime it start going at 30-80KB/s!! I have to restart samba service.. very sad..

I had the same issue on the AC68U with magnets. So, I went and downloaded the source tarball from: http://download.transmissionbt.com/files/transmission-2.82.tar.xz and complied the latest version e.g. v2.82.

Works fine on my AC68U and magnets work great and in particular using this windows client: http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui/

I can get up to 4Mb/s from a single torrent download using the AC86U.

Regards,

Nairn62
what are the steps involved in installing this application and using it with AC68u router?

I too have a Asus with download master (RT-68U) and after the latest firmware update the download master fails. Mine reports "activity already in queu for this torrent" when I try a second time...
Also it's quite nice to have a torrent downloader I can have working for me both night and day without having a computer running - also that I can access over internet from anywhere an knowing my download will be vaiting for me when I get home or wake up in the morning (having slept good without the noice from my computers...)

Download Master fiasco on RT-AC68U

I'm a highly disappointed ASUS fan with a brand new RT-AC68U router.
H/W Ver: A1
MFG YEAR: 2014
The Firmware Version :3.0.0.4.376_1663 (newest F/W 28,55 (MBytes) 2014.07.18 update )
Download Master Version : 3.1.0.88 (latest available)
HDD : WD Elements 1TB (never used brand new)

After 2 days of the initial setup, I really can say that the horror stories seems to be true
I'm highly disappointed... Can't believe that this router is ASUS branded ?!?

The 1st point of this $215 purchase was using the "Download Master" with a higher spec router. But it seems it is a complete fiasco !

Download Master is a very faulty / buggy program. It "always" stucks, freezes what ever your load is.
Tried to download 4 files as recommended by Asus & it got stuck after a while.
Tried to download more than 4 files & it got stuck after a shorter while...

There are lot's of people complaining on the forums, trying to find a solution.
As most of the users already experienced about this stucking, freezing issue, I really wonder if there is anything to be done to make this sh*t work as it is supposed to be ???

When it get stucks, the HDD activation light stops blinking but the menu is reachable. There is no downloading activity but internet is reachable, I can surf the web. But the download master says it is downloading which is a complete bullsh*t.
Also none of the functions (resume, pause, remove etc at the top menu) work in the download master.

I can even reach the modem by the android app & see them as the files were downloading but it is not. they are all stuck, freeze.

The only cure that I can find is to reboot the router, virtually unplug the HDD by the GUI functions, re-mount the HDD and disable-enable the download master utility. So that it can work for a couple hours more...

And while the download master was working by chance, I can feel that my internet connection was sucked dry, occupying the whole bandwidth, super slow response & pings... I can't even surf the web but the download master is using only %10 speed of my DSL connection although there is no limitations ?!?

I'm an old eMule fan, which I've used for years & I know what I'm saying.
This utility acts like in the early days of eMule & other P2P programs...

- Weird behavior after some time! (the tasks, downloading files appear & disappear on the main screen. It is definitely NOT stable)

- Unstable RAM and CPU usage (RAM usage go between 50-230mb about %90 of 250mb and then suddenly it drops... then slowly, slowly rises again. CPU usage is weird too. 1st core runs more, goes from %10 up to %80 but the 2nd core is between %1 to %20)

- Loves to freeze, get stuck and needs to be rebooted in every 2-3hours again in order to make this damn thing work.

What's going on ASUS?
How did you manufacture a $215 sh*t like this ?
Any ideas of the problem ?

PS: I've posted a thread too... but it seems no one knows any solutions !
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=18494

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!