What's new

Ac68u VPN Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nemesis122

Occasional Visitor
Hi All

I have a Problem with my AC68u with the VPN.
All is working connecting with the Phone etc. the Problem is can not connect to my network storages as example Qnap or Mybook.So it means there is a problem with the samba and broadcast support both futures are enabled
Dhcp range 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.199 and the vpn range from 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.209.
Tested with the new Firmeware from merlin and Asus Today.3.0.0.4.374.39 (31-Jan-2014)
I have also the Router ASUS RTn66u with the same VPN setting and all is working fine with the VPN .( this router has en other Problem always when i copie files on to the router plugged harddisk the router reboots ( tested with 2,5 hd and 3,5 hdds)

today morning i have search again for a solution why the samba service with vpn is not working on the AC68u.
So all is working with the VPN i can open as example 192.168.1.150 qnap server open with browser as example chrome only the Samba service is not working)have no access to the networkdrives on the AC68U (the future is activated on both routers)on the RTN66u all is working with the same settings.
I found a different the external Ip is with the RTN66u 46.0000000 ect and with the new AC68u218.00000000

Any help is very welcome.
thank you for your help

Michael

Last edited:
Bump

Hi All
Shortinfo
i can access my Qnap over the google chrome when i search in the browser 192.168.1.150 i found the login page from my qnap the problem is can not access my networkdrives over IP or networkname this means the samba service over vpn is not working with the rtn66u all is working with the same VPN settings.

is there some remote ports or open ports only for the ac68u needed that the samba over vpn is working ?

thank you for your help

Michael

Last edited:
I can access my NAS just fine from outside via VPN, but I do use a complete separate net on the TUN interface.
- home: 192.168.1.0/24
- vpn: 192.168.200.0/24

...and activated "push LAn to clients", of course.

Hi thank you for your notes

so i try try with the PPTP and i can not open samba on this devices( is it possbile that i must redirect a port 1723 to the router IP 192.168.1.1?) Anyway i had ready that PPTP is not secure so i will switch to open vpn .
Could you provide me where i can found a setup guide to setup Open VPN on my AC68u?
thank you very much and have a nice day .

Best Regards

Michael

Hi All

I have a Problem with my AC68u with the VPN.
All is working connecting with the Phone etc. the Problem is can not connect to my network storages as example Qnap or Mybook.So it means there is a problem with the samba and broadcast support both futures are enabled
Dhcp range 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.199 and the vpn range from 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.209.
Tested with the new Firmeware from merlin and Asus Today.3.0.0.4.374.39 (31-Jan-2014)
I have also the Router ASUS RTn66u with the same VPN setting and all is working fine with the VPN .( this router has en other Problem always when i copie files on to the router plugged harddisk the router reboots ( tested with 2,5 hd and 3,5 hdds)

today morning i have search again for a solution why the samba service with vpn is not working on the AC68u.
So all is working with the VPN i can open as example 192.168.1.150 qnap server open with browser as example chrome only the Samba service is not working)have no access to the networkdrives on the AC68U (the future is activated on both routers)on the RTN66u all is working with the same settings.
I found a different the external Ip is with the RTN66u 46.0000000 ect and with the new AC68u218.00000000

Any help is very welcome.
thank you for your help

Michael

Do you have any errors in the System Log?

Hi

Hi

thank you for your answer .
No i have no error logs and i have compared the logs with logs from the rtn66u no different.
Please note the same settings on the rtn66u works perfect.
Best Regards

Michael

Could you provide me where i can found a setup guide to setup Open VPN on my AC68u?
thank you very much and have a nice day .

...there is a openVPN section in the Merlin-FW Wiki, here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki
Since I simply copied over my certs from my old router, when moving to the ASUS,
I did not follow these guides specifically.
My experience is, that openVPN is pretty standardized and
the basic principal should be the same, independent of the
device openVPN is running on.

I strongly recommend to use certs and TLS-auth for best security.

Last edited:
Hi

thank you for your answer .
No i have no error logs and i have compared the logs with logs from the rtn66u no different.
Please note the same settings on the rtn66u works perfect.
Best Regards

Michael

I am not sure your having the same issue as mine but I also can't access my samba shares until I fix the smb.conf file ... here's a paste of my post...

<....
max connections = 5
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
obey pam restrictions = no
use spne go = no
client use spnego = no
disable spoolss = yes
host msdfs = no
strict allocate = No
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = lo br0
....>

The line in bold is "invalid" which is causing issue... Once removed and samba restarted my issue are gone... But when rebooting, the line is back by default ... I think it's a bug or something put this in the config file by default... (typo?)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!