What's new

RT-AC68U problems with configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hypedlt

Occasional Visitor
EDIT: found a fix https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-problems-with-configuration.88490/post-886296

Hi,

Recently I have swaped my TP-Link gigabit router to a AC68U due to VPN Client (VPN Director via Asuswrt-Merlin) functionality.
However, after initial setup I have some strange anomalies that are showing up on my different devices: iPhone, Android tablets, Windows PC and my Samsung TV.
  • On iPhone connected to the 5G Wifi is that it does not update some pictures in apps. For example my linkedin profile picture is not loading as if it is being blocked. On celular it does load up.
  • On Android tablet, I see that it says connected to wifi but no internet. But internet wokrs fine, strange.
  • On Windows PC, I cannot open any http website, and some HTTPS. For example linkedin feed does not load. It just spins all the time without any errors and in the end shows black logo.
  • On Samsung TV I cannot connect to the WIFI at all, it just refuses to get internet connection. The only way how it accepts a connection is after enabling VPN tunnel for the Samsung TV local IP via VPN Director.
Additional configurations:
  • Configured OpenVPN tunnel with VPN director.
  • I have disabled Router Firewall, AI Protection.
  • In WAN, LAN I have setup Google DNS address.
All other setting are left to be stock.
Original Asus firmware yields the same results.

Maybe could someone help me diagnose the issue? I have googled through the internet and, sadly, havent found any answers.

Attachments

• 411524383_1355019478466447_8818440079418496331_n.jpg
    411524383_1355019478466447_8818440079418496331_n.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-01-15 222957.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-15 222957.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-01-15 223952.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-15 223952.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240116_133656643~2.jpg
    PXL_20240116_133656643~2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Do not disable the router's firewall!

Do these problems occur with the VPN client disabled or only when it's enabled?
Do not set any DNS in the LAN settings. Leave it at the default (blank).

Do not disable the router's firewall!

Do these problems occur with the VPN client disabled or only when it's enabled?
Do not set any DNS in the LAN settings. Leave it at the default (blank).
Firewall enabled, got it.
Disabled VPN client has no effect. Only Samsung TV then loses internet access.

Recently I have swaped my TP-Link gigabit router to a AC68U due to VPN Client (VPN Director via Asuswrt-Merlin) functionality.
However, after initial setup I have some strange anomalies that are showing up on my different devices: iPhone, Android tablets, Windows PC and my Samsung TV.
  • I have disabled Router Firewall, AI Protection.
<snip>
DO NOT disable the firewall!!!

Unless I missed it, what firmware are you running?
Have you done a hard factory reset (without importing a saved router cfg file), then done a basic configuration to get internet and WiFi up, then test without enabling VPN?
To confirm, the WiFi devices are not connecting through the WiFi Guest Network, correct?

DO NOT disable the firewall!!!

Unless I missed it, what firmware are you running?
Have you done a hard factory reset (without importing a saved router cfg file), then done a basic configuration to get internet and WiFi up, then test without enabling VPN?
To confirm, the WiFi devices are not connecting through the WiFi Guest Network, correct?
Current firmware Merlin 386.12_4

I did try factory reset on three different firmwares: Merlin 386, Stock 386 and stock 381.
Never imported cfg, I dont have it saved.

Guest wifi network is disabled.

Hi Hypedlt,
I am not an expert, but can you please flash 386.11 to your router and see if this fix your problem.
This is more to test my theory with similar devices on a 2.4Ghz network after flashing 386.12 firmware on the same router. :)
Thank you.

Hi Hypedlt,
I am not an expert, but can you please flash 386.11 to your router and see if this fix your problem.
This is more to test my theory with similar devices on a 2.4Ghz network after flashing 386.12 firmware on the same router. :)
Thank you.
Did not help, thanks for the effort though.

Maybe this is an ISP issue. Perhaps your ISP account is linked to the MAC address of your old TP-Link router.

Who is your ISP?

There might be geo-political reasons some sites are not accessible.

Maybe this is an ISP issue. Perhaps your ISP account is linked to the MAC address of your old TP-Link router.

Who is your ISP?

There might be geo-political reasons some sites are not accessible.
I have copied MAC from tplink to asus router. Still no luck. Thing is if I plug my tplink everything works, on asus it simply doesnt.
And I guess if there would be a ISP MAC link I would not get internet at all?

My ISP is Lithuanian: penki.lt

But I suspect that geopolitical reasons are not the case, as my tplink works just fine.

I recall there was a similar issue when I flashed OpenWRT on my tplink archer c20. Then I got the same problems. Was forced to flash back to stock firmware.

I recall there was a similar issue when I flashed OpenWRT on my tplink archer c20. Then I got the same problems. Was forced to flash back to stock firmware.
That's very strange if the same router running OpenWRT can't connect but can when using stock firmware.

What type of WAN connection do you use? PPPoE?

Do penki.lt have their own support forum? Maybe they can help.

What type of WAN connection do you use? PPPoE?
WAN is set to Automatic IP.

Do penki.lt have their own support forum? Maybe they can help.
No they don't. Maybe I will try to contact ISP for support, but I have low hopes. They will probably just say to plug in their provided lame router and deal with it.

What are the chances that I have a faulty AC68U?

Last edited:
I suggest to start from scratch, without VPN as follows:
  1. If there are, disconnect all USB devices.
  2. Install the latest available firmware version.
  3. Reset to factory defaults.
  4. Do not load an old configuration backup file, manual configure the router as outlined in the next step.
    • While making configuration changes: write them down so you do have a list of changes you made from factory defaults.
    • Restoring a configuration backup might bring back old issues, that is why the manual configuration is advised.
    • Whenever you restore a configuration backup: only restore the backup to exactly the same firmware branch and version as it was made with.
  5. Manual configure the router with the bare minimum, as:
    • Router Login Name.
    • Router Login Password.
    • WAN Connection Type, and what is required to connect to the Internet.
    • Wireless SSID's and WPA Pre-Shared Key's.
    • Leave everything else default.
  6. Test the router behavior:
    • Test with a wired connection first.
    • Test with a wireless connection.
  7. After the above works all well you can consider more manual router configuration changes.

Last edited:
I suggest to start from scratch, without VPN as follows:
  1. If there are, disconnect all USB devices.
  2. Install the latest available firmware version.
  3. Reset to factory defaults.
  4. Do not load an old configuration backup file, manual configure the router as outlined in the next step.
    • While making configuration changes: write them down so you do have a list of changes you made from factory defaults.
    • Restoring a configuration backup might bring back old issues, that is why the manual configuration is advised.
    • Whenever you restore a configuration backup: only restore the backup to exactly the same firmware branch and version as it was made with.
  5. Manual configure the router with the bare minimum, as:
    • Router Login Name.
    • Router Login Password.
    • WAN Connection Type, and what is required to connect to the Internet.
    • Wireless SSID's and WPA Pre-Shared Key's.
    • Leave everything else default.
  6. Test the router behavior:
    • Test with a wired connection first.
    • Test with a wireless connection.
  7. After the above works all well you can consider more manual router configuration changes.
  • Flashed original Asus firmware: RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_386_51668;
  • Performed a button reset;
  • Pluged WAN as wizard asked;
  • WAN automatically detected;
  • Configured SSID's and WPA PSK's;
Test:
  • Wired LAN4 runs at 980mb/s at speedtest website.
  • Wireless
    • Wireless 5G, well ... it runs on my tablet, but see how in the attached pic...
    • Samsung TV gets IP from router DHCP, but cannot go further and connect to internet.

Attachments

• 1705426088604.png
    1705426088604.png
    413.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240116_191737.jpg
    IMG_20240116_191737.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 16
Test:
  • Wired LAN4 runs at 980mb/s at speedtest website.
  • Wireless
    • Wireless 5G, well ... it runs on my tablet, but see how in the attached pic...
    • Samsung TV gets IP from router DHCP, but cannot go further and connect to internet.
Have you changed the router's DNS settings?

No after reset its "Default status : Get the DNS IP from your ISP automatically."
Your device is showing Google for its DNS when it ought to be the router's IP. Try rebooting the device or check its network settings. Although some Android devices have Google's DNS addresses hard coded.

Your device is showing Google for its DNS when it ought to be the router's IP. Try rebooting the device or check its network settings. Although some Android devices have Google's DNS addresses hard coded.
sorry for misleading info, here is a pic where I've reset Samsung TV (Tizen OS) network settings.
Also a pic from android tablet where it is seen SSID and DNS.

Attachments

• 1705427023178.png
    1705427023178.png
    280.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2024-01-16-19-45-32-205_com.appsteka.ipconfig.png
    Screenshot_2024-01-16-19-45-32-205_com.appsteka.ipconfig.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 9
So if you log into the router what does it say for your WAN IP address on the Network Map page?

Untitled.png

Well I'm out of ideas. It looks like it ought to be working.

What kind of internet connection do you have, cable, VDSL, etc? It's not a mobile (LTE) connection is it?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!