What's new

Accessing USB HDD times out on RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyboy320

New Around Here
I have a 2TB HDD plugged into the USB of the router, and I can access it to see files, transfer, and delete, etc. When I run a backup program (Second Copy), it will transfer some files, and after some time, the backup fails saying;

Error writing \\Wd mybook\My_Book\My Documents\My Music\The Edge of Glory.mp3 The specified network name is no longer available

When I try and open the drive Windows gives an error saying;

"the local device name is already in use. The connection has not been restored"

The router is still connected to the internet, but I can no longer access the router with the address 192.168.1.1. The page just sits there and never loads. I have to turn the router off and on again to get everything to work again.

This happens with the stock Asus firmware, as well as Merlin's.

I have a 2TB HDD plugged into the USB of the router, and I can access it to see files, transfer, and delete, etc. When I run a backup program (Second Copy), it will transfer some files, and after some time, the backup fails saying;

Error writing \\Wd mybook\My_Book\My Documents\My Music\The Edge of Glory.mp3 The specified network name is no longer available

When I try and open the drive Windows gives an error saying;

"the local device name is already in use. The connection has not been restored"

That's because it's not trying to access it through your router, but through \\Wd mybook . I doubt that's the name of your router.

Sorry for the dumb question, but if the HDD is hooked up through the USB of the router, how would I use a program to access the HDD through the router so it can read/write/delete to it?

Sorry for the dumb question, but if the HDD is hooked up through the USB of the router, how would I use a program to access the HDD through the router so it can read/write/delete to it?

Once you have enabled sharing through AiDisk, the router should appear in your Network neighborhood, named as the router model (RT-N66, RT-AC66U, etc...).

Once you have enabled sharing through AiDisk, the router should appear in your Network neighborhood, named as the router model (RT-N66, RT-AC66U, etc...).

I have done that, and mapped the network drive. I then run my backup program, and it copies about 4% (about 400 files) of a total of 30Gb files, and then errors out when trying to write saying;

"Access is denied"

And the last error in the log file is;

"Error writing Y:\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications\~SCTEMP.TMP The specified network name is no longer available"

I set up AiDisk with "limitless access" but did not setup DDNS.

I have tried two HDD, one USB powered, and the other powered through a wall plug. I have also tried this about 10 times, and it always ends with the same errors. The HDD has errors on it afterwards and I have to usually format it, although some files are copied over correctly and I can access them.

Last edited:
Well as it turns out I can copy and delete files directly with Windows. So I guess it has something to do with the backup program I was using to create the backup. To bad it doesn't work since it would compare the files and only copy over what was changed or new, so I'll have to find an alternative way of doing that.

Thanks for your help (and firmware) RMerlin... :)

I use SecondCopy (have for years) - to shares from my Synology NAS and from other PCs' shares. Runs backups to the NAS every few minutes. Haven't seen issue like you're describing.

I'd Try using SecondCopy to a destination share on a real NAS or on the share from some other PC. Using SMB shares software inside WiFi router - I'd not want to trust that. (assuming there's never an issue with that same USB drive plugged into the PC itself).

Last edited:
Personally I use FreeFileSync to synchronize various files from my desktop with an eSata disk. Not sure how well it would work over the network however.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!