What's new

USB drive delayed access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

swbrains

Occasional Visitor
I have the Asus GT-AX11000 router with an SSD drive plugged into the USB port (3.0 mode). I use it to store videos and photos to share them to anyone connected locally (internet access is disabled). I have noticed consistently when I use Windows Explorer to access the drive after not having accessed it for a while, it times out. Also, my Windows backup software that runs on my PC overnight tries to copy files to that USB drive, but reports an error accessing the drive as well.

If I try to access a shared folder on the drive, it times out in Windows Explorer. If I then wait about 30 seconds after that attempt, I can normally access that folder. If I then manually run the backup task at this point, it too runs fine. It's as if the drive is "sleeping" and needs to be awakened after no access for a while. The router's "HDD Hibernation" setting is set to "No".

It's not a huge problem for me as a human to retry, but my backup software can't try to access it, then wait, then try again before sending files to that drive. Is there a setting somewhere that will keep the USB-connected drive in a "ready" state at all times?

Thanks!

Spinning iron-oxide-coated glass last I understood, hahaha

Yeah a minute sure ought to cover re-establishment.

What's the nature of the SSD-USB device? A prepackaged external drive, or maybe an enclosure from Alibaba? Any control over how /it/ goes to sleep?

I have the Asus GT-AX11000 router with an SSD drive plugged into the USB port (3.0 mode). I use it to store videos and photos to share them to anyone connected locally (internet access is disabled). I have noticed consistently when I use Windows Explorer to access the drive after not having accessed it for a while, it times out. Also, my Windows backup software that runs on my PC overnight tries to copy files to that USB drive, but reports an error accessing the drive as well.

If I try to access a shared folder on the drive, it times out in Windows Explorer. If I then wait about 30 seconds after that attempt, I can normally access that folder. If I then manually run the backup task at this point, it too runs fine. It's as if the drive is "sleeping" and needs to be awakened after no access for a while. The router's "HDD Hibernation" setting is set to "No".

It's not a huge problem for me as a human to retry, but my backup software can't try to access it, then wait, then try again before sending files to that drive. Is there a setting somewhere that will keep the USB-connected drive in a "ready" state at all times?

Thanks!
What is your enclosure? ASUS USB issue is well known. It's not fixed for years.

Disable "Enable HDD Hibernation" under Administration>System.
Asus has removed the hibernation option with the latest updates. Now USB always hibernates. SSD drives behind the router USB are useless now, because you cannot access it instantly. You have to wait for a ling time and, in some cases, the connection crashes. Why did they do this?

Last edited:
This isn't an issue solely on Asus' side. The enclosure and specific drive play a bigger role in this behavior.

Even with a true NAS, you don't get instant access when the resource hasn't been accessed in a while. Of course, this can be changed in most NAS. However, that doesn't mean it should be.

You may try different external enclosures/drives to see if you find a combination that suits you better.

This isn't an issue solely on Asus' side. The enclosure and specific drive play a bigger role in this behavior.

Even with a true NAS, you don't get instant access when the resource hasn't been accessed in a while. Of course, this can be changed in most NAS. However, that doesn't mean it should be.

You may try different external enclosures/drives to see if you find a combination that suits you better.
Ugreen has told me that they don't use any power timers in their ssd m2 enclosures. They said it is your router, PC job. So that is completely ASUS fault.

No, you're just assuming it is.

The drive has its own parameters too.

Does UGreen make the SSD too?

That official answer only covers one part of the equation here. And that is assuming it is a true statement too.

Well, perhaps it's something that escaped Asus' notice for that (whichever) firmware build; perhaps they must do what they can to conserve power usage (some new "green" regulation has come into play?).

For whatever it's worth, I've got a different enclosure I can plug into a different router and see what happens.

Well, perhaps it's something that escaped Asus' notice for that (whichever) firmware build; perhaps they must do what they can to conserve power usage (some new "green" regulation has come into play?).

For whatever it's worth, I've got a different enclosure I can plug into a different router and see what happens.
Let us know!

Just a thought - maybe the drive is pulling more current than the port can deliver...

If you have a powered USB hub, even if it's USB2, give that a try.

I'm puzzled. The HDD had a led, whuch turned itself off after some time (around 5 minutes). The SSD enclosure led is powered all the time. The SDD nvme is taken from the laptop.

I'm puzzled. The HDD had a led, whuch turned itself off after some time (around 5 minutes). The SSD enclosure led is powered all the time. The SDD nvme is taken from the laptop.

NVME SSD's can pull a fair amount of power...

Goes back to what I was saying a bit earlier in this thread - between the drive, the drive controller, and the USB3 to NVME chipset - you might be running out of juice...

Reactions: Igs