What's new

Acer easyStore Home Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AaronD

Occasional Visitor
Just seen this on Engadget here

It is priced at $400, which seems pretty good value, I reckon.

I have experience of Windows Server, but not Windows Home Server.

I know that WHS does not use Raid, but say the device breaks, how can you get back to the data on the disks (without buying another identical device) ? Does anyone know if you can access them from a PC ? Or is there some wierd and wonderful way of getting at the data ? Can you buy ANY WHS based device and plug the disks in and off you go ? (I suspect not)

Anyone got any experience of WHS, and can recommend it, before I go for one of these Easystores, over a Readynas Duo ?

many thanks
Aaron

WHS uses folder duplication to backup data to multiple locations within its storage array. WHS handles all this behind the scenes, i.e. you can't control where duplicated data is physically located. You just get to control which folders are duplicated.

WHS drives are NTFS formatted, so can be mounted in any Windows system that supports NTFS. You would, however, have to hunt down duplicated data in hidden shared folders (DE/Shares).

I would first, however, try running the Server Recovery DVD that comes with any WHS-based system. This can be run from any Windows PC on the same network as the WHS system.

However, if you have purchased WHS and built your own server, I don't know how the recovery process works, since WHS doesn't come with a server restore DVD.

Tim

Thanks for the response. Not sure if it has helped me make a decision ! Is the Microsoft WHS solution any better than a based Raid solution ?

Any chance of a review any time soon, as I am sure that would help ? :)

cheers
Aaron

Tim

I have read the reviews and that has helped. I think the underpowered Netgear gets my vote.

Which I am surprised by, as on paper it looks completely outclassed by the Acer.

cheers
Aaron