What's new

AdGuardHome AdGuardHome New Release's 2023

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shows v1.6.2 on amtm and the terminal. I just made it fullscreen.
Github page shows AdGuard Home v0.107.34 as the latest. I don't want to install the wrong version that does not have the fixes if its not available via amtm yet.
Amtm checks the version of the "installer script" not the version of AGH. You can see the version of AdGuardHome you are running using the installer script it self. The v1.6.2 is the installer script version number and not the version number of the upstream adguardhome version. If you want a quick way to see your adguardhome version, just type
AdGuardHome --version Into the ssh terminal. Version numbering will vary if you are on edge, beta, or stable as of right now, stable follows v0.107.xx format. Where as beta is the "pre-release', and edge is just a build straight from the github master. Beta will include the latest "fixes" being tested, whereas edge may contain changes that either "fix" or "break". A.k.a the future fix.

Last edited:
Amtm checks the version of the "installer script" not the version of AGH. You can see the version of AdGuardHome you are running using the installer script it self. The v1.6.2 is the installer script version number and not the version number of the upstream adguardhome version. If you want a quick way to see your adguardhome version, just type
AdGuardHome --version Into the ssh terminal. Version numbering will vary if you are on edge, beta, or stable as of right now, stable follows v0.107.xx format. Where as beta is the "pre-release', and edge is just a build straight from the github master. Beta will include the latest "fixes" being tested, whereas edge may contain changes that either "fix" or "break". A.k.a the future fix.
I only have 3 options

1. Release
2. Beta
3. Edge

there is no option for Stable which has the CPU and RAM fixes which was posted earlier. I'm guessing 3. Edge is the one I should select judging by your description as that will be the Github master build which is AdGuard Home v0.107.34 ?

I only have 3 options

1. Release
2. Beta
3. Edge

there is no option for Stable which has the CPU and RAM fixes which was posted earlier. I'm guessing 3. Edge is the one I should select judging by your description as that will be the Github master build which is AdGuard Home v0.107.34 ?

I think release is stable. Everyone after that is newer so should also have the fixes.

I only have 3 options

1. Release
2. Beta
3. Edge

The github master build is not v0.107.34. v0.107.34 is a snapshot release of the latest stable or "release" build.

Screenshot_20230716_144031_Samsung Internet.jpg

This image shows the stable version and the beta version. The beta version includes everything the stable has, and some of the fixes that are finally being approved for testing from the edge version. The "edge" version is a bleeding edge build straight from the master, which has the newest fixes, some of which are not necessarily complete and ready for testing.

Screenshot_20230716_144715_Samsung Internet.jpg

The image above shows the difference between release v0.107.34 and the master build.
Here is the link of the comparison:

This link compares the latest beta with master:

If you want the latest stable release then choose "release" which is v0.107.34.

If you want the beta which has the complete fixes approved for testing originally from the master build, then choose beta which is v0.108.0b.41.(This would be considered a safer option than edge,but may not include all the latest desired fixes yet, you would have to review the change logs.)

If you want the edge (or bleeding edge version), you will be using a edge build that gets built from the master on a nightly basis. This may or may not include incomplete "fixes" or fixes not yet ready for beta testing.

Right now there is about only a 4 commit difference between edge and beta. I would say it is a safer bet to go with beta since you wouldn't necessarily be needing the 4 latest edge commits.

Last edited:
Thanks. Tried Beta it doesn't install for me.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    333.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    47.5 KB · Views: 45

Sounds like a good choice to me. Beta and edge are more before it is released as stable. I have been using stable for several months without major problems. 4-5 months on router, and 6 months on an SBC before. If you have problems, you can always change then. Unless you want to test around of course!

However, I think you have too little memory in the router to work well on it.

Yea your router apparently is suffering from limited RAM and memory resources. So the router, or the GO process is killing itself to prevent your router from suffering from an OOM situation.

Ways to mitigate include incorporating a reasonable size swap such as a 2gb swap (10gb is the max with AMTM). This might also require using a less resource hungry storage device, or using less resource hungry applications on the router. Ultimately, you would probably have to disable or uninstall anything that is resource hungry that you have installed VIA the addons.

What are these entries, haven't seen them before? Average processing time went from 17ms to 180ms so thought of checking query log and noticed these. Client is router.
1689902742584.png

What are these entries, haven't seen them before? Average processing time went from 17ms to 180ms so thought of checking query log and noticed these. Client is router.
View attachment 51848
looks like a bad arpa request. I hope AdGuardHome devs didn't break something in a recent change. Request to fe80 should be travelling via arpa6, not regular ipv4 arpa. fe00::0 represents link local. Sometimes it is placed in /etc/host(s) as a link local address for localnet. In the scenario of running RMerlin firmware, I can confirm it is there.

Code:
192.168.1.1 asusswitch.com
192.168.1.1 router.asus.com
192.168.1.1 repeater.asus.com
192.168.1.1 ap.asus.com
192.168.1.1 www.asusnetwork.net
192.168.1.1 asusswitch.net
192.168.1.1 asusrepeater.net
192.168.1.1 asusap.net
192.168.1.1 zenwifi.net
192.168.1.1 expertwifi.net
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

What this tells me is AdGuardHome either doesn't like the way it is represented there in /etc/host(s), or AdGuardHome Devs broke something in how AdGuardHome reads /etc/hosts. My recommendation is report this anomaly to the AdGuardHome devs to have it diagnose and fixed. It appears they have broke something in the continuous efforts to modify and improve AdGuardHome.

Code:
# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts.
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

As a short term fix, I remember seeing something inside the AdGuardHome Webui DNS settings section about disable reading /etc/hosts. You should be able to get away with doing this, since AdGuardHome talks back to DNSMASQ and DNSMASQ already reads those same entries in /etc/host(s).

Last edited:
Can't find any setting in GUI, have opened an issue on github.

What minimum version of Merlin is needed for Adguard Home? I am stuck with my N66U at 380.70 and cannot seem to install it.

The RT-N66U doesn't have enough CPU power, or RAM to run anything like Adguard Home. Regardless of the firmware version.

Time (is long past) for a new router.

What minimum version of Merlin is needed for Adguard Home? I am stuck with my N66U at 380.70 and cannot seem to install it.
You need atleast version 384.11 to run AdGuardHome. N66U is not powerful enough to handle AdGuardHome. The RT-AC68U already has difficulty, limitations, and challenges running AdGuardHome. I have updated the adguardhome installer github readme and the original adguardhome thread to support this.

Last edited:
I replied. I also read what they had to say as well. They are correct in their communications with you that it could possibly be a misconfigured client on your network making those requests as well. Although I dont know why a client would be making those requests.
But that client is the router as per query logs.

Won't start after installing. Below is from the terminal after following manual steps to uninstall & reboot.
Followed these steps to uninstall-
Manually remove lines mentioning AdGuardHome from these scripts with a terminal editor such as nano or vi:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/init-start
/jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
/jffs/scripts/services-stop
/jffs/scripts/service-event-end
To uninstall files and directories run the below straight in the ssh terminal command line:
Code:
rm -rf "/opt/etc/AdGuardHome" "/opt/etc/init.d/S99AdGuardHome" "/opt/etc/init.d/rc.func.AdGuardHome" "/opt/sbin/AdGuardHome" "/opt/bin/bcrypt-tool" "/jffs/addons/AdGuardHome.d" "/opt/var/log/AdGuardHome.log"
Code:
 Info:  Detected RT-AC68U router.
 Info:  Detected Linux platform.
 Info:  Detected ARMv7 architecture.
 Info:  JFFS custom scripts and configs are already enabled.
 Info:  DNS Environment is Ready.
 Info:  Choose what you want to do:
  1) Install/Update AdGuardHome
  2) Uninstall
  r) Restore
  q) Quit
 =>  Please enter the number that designates your selection:, [1-2/r/q]: 1
 Info:  This operation will install AdGuardHome and related files (<6MB)
 Info:  to ENTWARE, no other data will be changed.
 Info:  Also some start scripts will be installed/modified as required.
 =>  Do you want to install AdGuardHome to ENTWARE? [y/n]: y
 Info:  Backup is detected.
 =>  Do you want Restore instead? [y/n]: n
 Info:  Continuing without restoring from backup!
 Info:  Downloading installer
 Info:  Choose which build of AdGuardHome to install:
  1) Release
  2) Beta
  3) Edge
 =>  Select your mode, [1-3]: 1
 Info:  Downloading AdGuardHome_linux_armv5.tar.gz
 Info:  Downloading AdGuardHome.sh
 Info:  Downloading S99AdGuardHome
 Info:  Downloading rc.func.AdGuardHome
 Info:  Configure init-start file
 Info:  Configure services-stop file
 Info:  Configure dnsmasq.postconf file
 Info:  Configure service-event-end file
 Info:  Before setting up AdGuardHome, please choose your right timezone!
 Info:  Downloading tzdata-2021e-1-arm.pkg.tar.bz2
 Info:  Available timezones/locations
 =>  Select your timezone/location, [1-595]: 529
 Info:  Auckland selected
 Info:  Configuring AdGuardHome...
 =>  Do you want to redirect all DNS resolutions on your network through to AdGuardHome? [y/n]: y
 Info:  You can choose to keep any custom dnsfilter values by only redirect non-custom traffic or send all traffic through to AdGuardHome.
 =>  Do you want to redirect only NON-CUSTOM DNS resolutions on your network through to AdGuardHome? [y/n]: n
 Info:  DNS is set to redirect All DNS resolutions through to AdGuardHome.
 =>  Do you want to run AdGuardHome as a local caching DNS service which includes router traffic? [y/n]: n
 Info:  Requesting entries for AdGuardHome initial configuration...
 Info:  Set the Username and Password which will be encrypted to the yaml file.
 =>  Please enter AdGuardHome username: quebec
 =>  Please enter AdGuardHome password:
 =>  Please reenter AdGuardHome password:
 Info:  Set the DNS server(s) for initializing AdGuardHome
 Info:  and router services (e.g. ntp) at boot
 =>  Default is 9.9.9.9:
 =>  2nd Default is 8.8.8.8:
 Info:  Writing AdGuardHome configuration...
 Info:  Checking AdGuardHome configuration...
 Info:  Starting AdGuardHome...
 Checking AdGuardHome...              dead.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!