What's new

AdGuardHome Help for beginner with AdGuardHome Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fanasus

Regular Contributor
Hello, I have a basic knowledge of routers, and English is not my native language, My question is:

apparently I would have installed AdGuardHome, it is active. but I dont know how i can enter on the conection/configuration page de AdGuardHome

thank you in advance for your help

Last edited:
2) Today, only use USB 2 mode if USB 3 mode causes interference on the 2.5GHz band.

3) Don't use a USB drive. Instead, use an M.2 SSD (256GB minimum size suggested) in an external USB enclosure.

4) Format the drive via amtm with Ext4 with journalling.

4a) Create the maximum swap file amtm allows.

Finally, only install what is useful to you, don't install everything!

2) Today, only use USB 2 mode if USB 3 mode causes interference on the 2.5GHz band.

3) Don't use a USB drive. Instead, use an M.2 SSD (256GB minimum size suggested) in an external USB enclosure.

for 3) I had a 32GB Sandisk flash drive, so I connected it.. (so many gigas 256GB, why? to be used also for storage?)

ok thanks for the tips!

but i havent my answer about: how enter on the conection/configuration page de AdGuardHome

I don't use that script. Others will answer if you're patient. :)

I had a 32GB Sandisk flash drive, so I connected it..

USB flash drives work only temporary. Not designed for this type of use and fail from excessive writes or heat. When - it depends how lucky you are.

how enter on the conection/configuration page de AdGuardHome

When you run the installation - it will tell you the port. I remember 14711 being the default port, unless changed recently. So router's LAN IP:14711.

USB flash drives work only temporary. Not designed for this type of use and fail from excessive writes or heat. When - it depends how lucky you are.

When you run the installation - it will tell you the port. I remember 14711 being the default port, unless changed recently. So router's LAN IP:14711.
hello @Tech9 ,
- thanks !! super! works "(sorry but as I didn’t know much at the time, I didn’t pay attention to this information port)
- and really you have to choose a minimum 256GB SSD!?
Note: I have a 1TB SSD, I can use it, and then partition it so as not to lose all that space!? or is it better to buy another SSD.

- and really you have to choose a minimum 256GB SSD!?

No, the smallest one is good enough. Example here:

Note: I have a 1TB SSD, I can use it, and then partition it so as not to lose all that space!?

You can, but it's a waste of good SSD for this purpose.

The 256GB SSD I suggest is for maximum reliability and dependability.

Smaller SSDs are of much lower quality and will more than likely fail in my experience.

@fanasus, keep in mind your AdGuard Home installation has only about 0.5GB RAM available for use. If you go crazy with millions of entries blocklists your router will run out of RAM and the swap on USB won't help. This swap is mostly for compatibility purposes and 2GB size is more than enough.

hello,
another question, I’m a little confused, whether the router actually uses Adguard Home.

- in "extended network" -> "DNS WAN configuration" -> "DNS server", do I have to specify something?
- and in "local network" -> "DNS director" do I have to indicate something?
thanks

- in "extended network" -> "DNS WAN configuration" -> "DNS server", do I have to specify something?

What is used there is determined by the answers you give during the installation script.

- and in "local network" -> "DNS director" do I have to indicate something?

Set DNS Director enabled with Global Mode to Router, nothing else.

another question, I’m a little confused, whether the router actually uses Adguard Home.

Check the DNS servers in use and compare to your settings in AdGuard Home.

What is used there is determined by the answers you give during the installation script.
hello @Tech9 , thanks !
- the trouble is, as a beginner, I didn’t pay attention to that information, or I forgot it..
Set DNS Director enabled with Global Mode to Router, nothing else.
- it was well settled as you say !
Check the DNS servers in use and compare to your settings in AdGuard Home.

1) after being able to install via "amtm" "Adguard Home", I had set the DNS to Asuswrt Merlin’s predetermined list: "quad9" (without really knowing what I had to indicate as DNS at that time)
2) now I have changed, and have only indicated the address of the router, correct!?

with your test "DNS Leak test" I get these results, but I don’t know how to interpret them?
which indicate which country I am in
1) this gives: " Found 5 Servers, 3 ISP, 2 Locations"
2) and: "Found 1 Server, 1 ISP, 1 Location"

Note: I don’t understand, with another test now, I still have this: "Found 3 Servers, 2 ISP, 2 Locations" (which indicate which country I am in)

if they are correct now, or the result needs to be improved, and how!?
thanks

Last edited:

I usb an usb stick of 8g and a swap file on 1gb. I to little? I use only fro script

Found 5 Servers, 3 ISP, 2 Locations

I can only recommend reading AdGuard Home Wiki:

You can find the answers to your questions there and learn how to set AdGuard Home properly for the purpose needed.

If that 8GB stick is an older device, you may have good luck with it (the quality was much better on the older USB 'keys'.

What is the 'fro' script?

Ah!

I would guess that a 1GB swap file is too small for AdGuardHome.

I would also guess that an M.2 SSD inside an external USB enclosure would give you much better results.

I would guess that a 1GB swap file is too small for AdGuardHome.

I would also guess that an M.2 SSD inside an external USB enclosure would give you much better results.

^ THIS. Great advice from @L&LD ... I will never go back to a thumbdrive... an external SSD with an enclosure is easy, cheap and SUPER reliable. I decided to go with a 256GB Samsung... didn't mind spending the extra cash for a bit more quality, and one of those cool see-thru enclosures with the pretty blue/red blinky lights that @Tech9 always recommends.

Be prepared if you create a 5GB swap like I did, that it does still take FOREVER... but just let it churn on... it will eventually finish.