What's new

Administration > System > Only Allow Specific IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Arsenal

Occasional Visitor
This setting appears to restrict access to the IPs specified in the section below Specified IP (Max Limit : 4) on both the LAN and WAN side?

From past experience with similar settings on other routers i anticipated this only restricting access from the WAN side, particularly with a 4 IP (and not hostname so any LAN clients on DHCP can't really be specified) max?

Unfortunately as i've only just come to setup Remote Management i have no idea if this is a bug or feature, or whether it is specific to the 3.0.0.4.354.29 Merlin firmware i am running on my RT-N66U.

According to my knowledge, The "Only allow specific IP" affect only the WebUI access, it has nothing to do with WAN nor LAN. So for the average home usage, 4 IPs to allow to access the WebUI is more than enough. That is to say, allow everyone to access WebUI, or allow at most 4 IPs to access WebUI.

But why would anyone want to restrict access to the Web UI from the LAN side, particularly your average home user who is almost certainly using DHCP to assign IP addresses to clients?

If it were a normal port forward to any thing else on the LAN side i could restrict access to it to specific WAN addresses without having to worry about restricting LAN addresses, but i apparently can't with this?

"Only allow specified IP address" not working as intended

Found this thread, having the same problem. When I enable "Only allow specified IP address", it applies on both the WAN and LAN side.

This is in contradiction to Asus' own documentation:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/438881/Asus-Rt-Ac66u.html?page=84

Only allow specific IP: Click Yes if you want to specify the IP addresses of devices that are allowed access to the wireless router GUI settings from WAN

What I want is
- Web UI only accessible from a specific IP address from the WAN
- Web UI accessible from any IP on the LAN

Having to specify IP addresses within the LAN doesn't make sense, because those IP addresses are assigned by DHCP and change. Perhaps if I could specify a range of IP addresses (192.168.1.1 - .255).

What I want is
- Web UI only accessible from a specific IP address from the WAN
- Web UI accessible from any IP on the LAN

Having to specify IP addresses within the LAN doesn't make sense, because those IP addresses are assigned by DHCP and change. Perhaps if I could specify a range of IP addresses (192.168.1.1 - .255).

Agreed, i work with a lot of routers and i've never seen one that limits access from both WAN and LAN until now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!