What's new

Advice on new NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hercules71035

New Around Here
Hi there,
I'm looking for a NAS for my SOHO. I'm looking for a 2 bay NAS and 1 gigabit ethernet, they are enough for me.
My constrains are simple: auto backup from my windows 8.1 PC and NAS backup to some cloud service (dropbox, drive, amazon) I don't know what it will, so I would choose it in another time.
I think that these models are right for me:
Synology DS215j, Qnap TS-231, Netgear ReadyNAS 102,Buffalo LinkStation 421.

Any suggestion is welcome, even for unlisted models.
I have no preference on brands, although I know that Synology and Qnap are famous.

Thanks!!

I'm sure you know that your Windows 8.1 can do backups automatically with the File History feature. Simply point it to a folder on the NAS.

I would recommend that you consider a 4 Bay NAS, even if you only currently use two of those bays.

I would also recommend that you take into consideration a local method to backup your NAS. One that is preferably kept offsite and used weekly, for example.

QNAP is what I would recommend. The TS-231 being better hardware than the DS215j, imo.

The others you list are to be avoided if long term usability and dependability are required. Of course, this depends on the usage you demand. Reliability is a concern for all the models. But Synology and QNAP are heavily invested in giving best of class service for a reason; if their products fail, so will they.

This is the difference between Synology, QNAP vs others. The other manufacturers can drop the quasi-NAS offerings and it won't even be a footnote on their financials.

This is the difference between Synology, QNAP vs others. The other manufacturers can drop the quasi-NAS offerings and it won't even be a footnote on their financials.

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
I'm agree with you, but if I use the NAS in this way (windows backup and NAS backup), it seems that I pay for extra features that I will never use!! So, for this reason, I'm looking also for other brands that haven't all features like synology and qnap.

Another question about this:
The TS-231 being better hardware than the DS215j, imo..
How much relevant are HW specifications??

As time moves forward, we demand more from our devices (whether we know or not). Better hardware postpones the need to buy something newer sooner vs. later.

The features is not what you pay for. You're paying for an OS + Hardware combination that are validated to work, period. The features are free and not what I base my buying decisions on.

The core features of a NAS are security, dependability and reliability. That is what you get with Synology or QNAP. Features is what the others are offering, possibly in lieu of.