What's new

Affordable 24 port gigabit switch w/ link aggregation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

5mall5nail5

Regular Contributor
Hey guys - setting up a small office/home office for someone and will be running VMWare ESXi 5.5 off of a 16TB NAS. One host initially with dual gigabit NICs and the NAS itself has 4 gigabit NICs both will be teamed for throughput not load balancing or fail-over.

I think I had a Dell 2824 that was gigabit on all ports and supported LAG. However, unless my brain isn't working today, I check out the current version, the Dell 3524, and now its only 10/100?!

Can anyone recommend me a ~$300 24 port switch that supports link aggregation?

I'd actually go for the SG2424. It is around $170 and has a lot of the same features as the SG3424, including LAG, VLAN and so on. I have the SG2216, the 16 port version of the SG2424, a very solid switch.

I'd actually go for the SG2424. It is around $170 and has a lot of the same features as the SG3424, including LAG, VLAN and so on. I have the SG2216, the 16 port version of the SG2424, a very solid switch.

Aside from price, what's the difference between SG2424 and the others?

SG3424 has 4k VLAN groups versus 512, supports Voice VLAN (though I think the SG2424 might in the lastest firmware. I'd have to double check), a few extra ACL based widgets, DHCP/BOOTP client, DHCP snooping, has 8 LAG groups up to 8 ports per group compared to 6 LAG groups with up to 4 ports per group.

Could be a couple of other things I missed, but most of the other options are the same or very close. Oh and the SG3424 has a dedicated network console port, which the SG2424 does not have.

I throw in another one:

The HP ProCurve 1810 and/or the somewhat older 1800. They are very cheap (payed 180EUR for mine), they have all the features like LAG, VLAN tagging, trunking, Spanning Tree and what have you, and the best thing about them is that even at 24 ports, they have no fan. They are completely silent, which is always welcome in small home offices.

Oh, and they are rock solid and stable. Never had them crash on me once (own the 1800-24 severa years now). Set it and forget it.

The TP-Link SG2424 is fanless as well and I think the 3424 is too, but I wouldn't swear on that. I don't know the power consumption figures on the 3424 or exactly on the 2424, but my 2216 runs at about 10w with 8-10 ports active. The HP Procurve 1800 is listed at 27 watts, though that might be for all ports loaded. I think the SG2424 is somewhat below that with all ports occupied (18W?).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!