What's new

After power blackout lost access to internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geko53

Regular Contributor
After having had a power blackout that led to a reboot of my device (RT-N66U with 376.45 Merlin) I'm not any longer able to get access to internet although the USB modem is connected and connection to internet is established on side of the router - the status light in Web-UI tells me: Internet status: connected...

When I try a ping from any device (no matter if connected to the router per LAN or per WLAN) I do not succeed. Pinging the same address via network tools of the router succeeds...

It seems like being locked out by some strange firewall rule (but I didn't change anything in my configuration)...

In the log I have to read a message like that:

Oct 21 01:45:17 kernel: DROP <4>DROP IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= <1>SRC=218.77.79.43 DST=178.113.22.105 <1>LEN=44 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x20 TTL=238 ID=54321 PROTO=TCP <1>SPT=40907 DPT=25 SEQ=1226985845 ACK=0 WINDOW=65535 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 OPT (02040550)

Does anyone have a hint how to regain internet access? Could the strange behavior be caused by a hardware failure triggered by a start-up peak after the power blackout?

Ciao
Gerald

Last edited:
Certainly a possibility that your equipment was damaged, but before replacing anything try power cycling everything.

Unplug the power to your PC, modem and router.

Wait a couple of minutes and plug your modem back in. Wait until it has reconnected to your ISP, then plug your router back in and once it is linked up try connecting your PC to the router.

If that doesn't work try connecting your PC directly to modem using and Ethernet cable and see what happens.

After trying these steps you should have a good idea where the problem lies.

Going forward invest in an UPC to connect your modem and router to.

@CaptainSTX:

Tx for your advices, but none of the suggestions led to success...

Does anyone know the meaning of the earlier posted log entry?

Ciao
Gerald

@CaptainSTX:

Tx for your advices, but none of the suggestions led to success...

Does anyone know the meaning of the earlier posted log entry?

Ciao
Gerald

Someone on the Internet tried to connect to port 25 of your router, checking to see if you ran a (non-secured) SMTP server.

The usual random port scanning.

This does indicate Internet connectivity tho, so I would check your clients and your DNS settings for the cause of your issues.

Someone on the Internet tried to connect to port 25 of your router, checking to see if you ran a (non-secured) SMTP server.

Could it be possibel then that my router has been compromised by an attack that locks me out (or better "in") and prevents me from connecting to internet?

This does indicate Internet connectivity tho, so I would check your clients and your DNS settings for the cause of your issues.

Internet connectivity is given only for the router - here I can ping every address successfully via network tool page on WEBUI. But: Either device that is connected to the router regardless of whether is is connected via LAN or VIA WLAN is prohibited to connect to internet - I'm not able to ping any address from any of my devices any longer for example...

NVRAm reset or or factory reset on the router doesn't help - same behavior afterwards...

When I connect my USB modem directly to my devices I succeed immediately to connect to internet therefore I don't believe it is a matter of (DNS-)settings on the side of the clients...

Ciao
Gerald

PS: I appreciate your helping hand very much indeed...

If you can connect when directly connected to your modem and not when connected to your router the problem is probably a damaged router.

One last thing to check is that your modem wasn't reset and is no longer in the bridge mode that could be your problem. If both your modem and your router are both trying to act as DHCP servers you may not be able to connect to the Internet behind your router.

Could it be possibel then that my router has been compromised by an attack that locks me out (or better "in") and prevents me from connecting to internet?

Highly unlikely. It would actually be counter-productive, as hackers would rather prefer to control your computers to run spam sending bots than lock you out. Beside, a factory default reset would have resolved this.

Internet connectivity is given only for the router - here I can ping every address successfully via network tool page on WEBUI. But: Either device that is connected to the router regardless of whether is is connected via LAN or VIA WLAN is prohibited to connect to internet - I'm not able to ping any address from any of my devices any longer for example...

Try pinging an IP instead of a hostname to definitely rule out any DNS issue. Ping 8.8.8.8 from a computer, for example.

Make sure you don't have another device on your network that runs a DHCP server, and which would have been re-enabled by the power outage. For instance, some VoIP ATA also come with a built-in router. Check with "ipconfig /all" on a Windows PC to make sure that the default gateway does point to your router's IP.

I guess I will surrender now - seems to be a problem that cannot be solved...

Tx @Merlin & @CaptainSTX for your hints...

I will assume that it's due to a hardware failure caused by start-up peak after power blackout...

But: no tears without smile: I'm looking forward to RT-AC68U wich will be my next device replacing RT-N66U :D

Ciao
Gerald

I will assume that it's due to a hardware failure caused by start-up peak after power blackout...

But: no tears without smile: I'm looking forward to RT-AC68U wich will be my next device replacing RT-N66U :D

Ciao
Gerald

Some failures are blessings in disguise. I had been wanting to replace my Pioneer receiver for quite some time as it didn't have enough HDMI inputs for all my devices, and the audio quality was also quite average. Also, my BD player hated it (I had to power cycle the receiver whenever switching to the Netflix client on the BD, otherwise I'd get this continual loud buzzing sound).

So when the HDMI ports died on me a few months ago, I was actually happy to have the excuse to upgrade to a new Yamaha, with more inputs, better audio quality, and even a built-in Internet radio client (I listen a lot to Shoutcast streams while at home) :)

Ciao
Gerald

Hi,
Did you try to reflash f/w?

Hi,
Really, my old Denon AV receiver had only 3 HDMI i/p ports. When it burnt out due to old age? I was kinda happy. It was fixable when I take a look but moved up to Anthem RX and new set of 7.1 Paradigm speakers.

Some failures are blessings in disguise. I had been wanting to replace my Pioneer receiver for quite some time as it didn't have enough HDMI inputs for all my devices,

You're still going to run out. I bought a new receiver and still ran out (xbox 360 xbox one ps3 ps4 cable box roku) . . I know, I have a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049SCB2Y/?tag=snbforums-20

This works like magic. Heartily recommend. In fact it's wonderful not having to fuss with changing inputs.

You're still going to run out. I bought a new receiver and still ran out (xbox 360 xbox one ps3 ps4 cable box roku) . . I know, I have a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049SCB2Y/?tag=snbforums-20

This works like magic. Heartily recommend. In fact it's wonderful not having to fuss with changing inputs.

I considered adding an HDMI port switcher, but I didn't want to add yet another wall wart to my power bar. There's already too much stuff plugged there, as both my HTPC setup and my networking gear (both Internet + VoIP) is installed in the same location.

So when the HDMI ports died on me a few months ago, I was actually happy to have the excuse to upgrade to a new Yamaha, with more inputs, better audio quality, and even a built-in Internet radio client (I listen a lot to Shoutcast streams while at home) :)

Waaaay off topic, but I just took my 8 month old Pioneer into the service center because the HDMI ports died--one minute there, the next dead--and the techies said, "yes, we get a lot of this with Pioneers".

Waaaay off topic, but I just took my 8 month old Pioneer into the service center because the HDMI ports died--one minute there, the next dead--and the techies said, "yes, we get a lot of this with Pioneers".

Interesting. Mine was about 2 or 3 years old at most.

Problem solved :)

So finally I was able to solve my problem successfully: no more troubles to connect to internet, much more speed, better range - just a miracle?

Not at all: bought a RT-AC68U, worked immediately as it should (almost at least - troubles with the external 500 GB USB3-HDD, hope I can solve them using e2fsck).

Ciao
Gerald

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!