What's new

AiMesh node causing latency spikes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kevin Moore

New Around Here
Trying to wrap my head around this one.

AiMesh router: AC-5300
AiMesh node: AC-68U
Firmware current on both: 3.0.0.4.384_45149

I've been seeing latency spikes (300-900ms) every 10 seconds or so on the 2.4GHz network. If I switch to one of the 5GHz networks it goes away. So, like a good (or dumb) doobie, I upgraded my AiMesh router (AC-5300) and AiMesh node (AC-68U) to the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.384_45149). Of course, it hosed my AiMesh network but I got the node back up after resetting it.

Ran some 2.4GHz WiFi ping tests to a local Windows PC that is wired to the AiMesh Router and still saw spikes. I connected a Windows laptop (wired) to the AiMesh node and ran ping tests to the PC wired to the router and still saw spikes. The router and node are about 6 feet apart while testing. I changed the 2.4GHz channel from auto to 1,6 and 11 and none of them did any better. I also had an iPhone running ping on the 2.4GHz network and it was spiking while the AiMesh network was up.

I decided to move the AiMesh node back upstairs while I did some troubleshooting. Once I unplugged the power from the node I noticed that the ping spikes on the iPhone and Windows PC (now using WiFi 2.4GHz) went away! I had my son test his Xbox connectivity no with the AiMesh node off and he said there were no more latency issues.

It seems like this just popped up about a week ago. The 2.4GHz was down when I got home one night and I had to do a router reboot which was weird. I haven't reset it as that will be painful but I may be headed down that path though I don't know if the problem is with the router or the node (since I no longer have latency spikes).

Anyway, just looking for some feedback. Thanks!

Here is my list for possible causes:
  • Interference from another WiFi network or other electric device
  • One of the devices on the 2.4GHz network
  • Excessive traffic on 2.4GHz network
  • ASUS router and/or node
I would make a list of all the devices on the 2.4GHz network and check each one; logs, updates, usage, etc. Use an app to view other WiFi networks and associated channels. Upon detection of issue, power off each of the devices on the list until issue is gone.

Not sure if it will end up relevant, but I was chasing a similar periodic latency spike for ages until I realised the act of having the Wi-fi settings page open that gives the list of available network on my laptop was the cause. Every time the laptop scanned (about every 10 seconds) it would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!