What's new

AiMesh - RT-AC86U with RT-AC1900P node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tim Kaczun

New Around Here
I have an RT-AC86U as my main router in my house with a RT-AC1900P as a mesh node (wireless).

I have the latest firmware updates (according to the android app).

Lately the AC1900 is having trouble staying connected. Upon review, I noticed that all my devices that are on 2.4GHz are connected to this node, and only the 5GHz are connecting to the aC86U. When the 1900 goes offline, all 2.4GHz go offline and will not connect to the AC86U.

I have 3 devices running on 5GHz (2 TV's and a computer) and a bunch of devices on 2.4 (Nest system, cell phones, tablets etc). If I change the devices (like a cell phone) to 5GHz they connect to AC86U right away.

Is this a setting I have somewhere?

Obviously the 1900 disconnecting all the time is a problem, but I'm not expecting the devices to connect to a specific node based on the frequency. I just find this odd.

Thanks for any feedback!

When the node is up, what are the wireless backhaul RSSI, Tx, and Rx rates? These are in the Wireless Log under 2.4 and 5.0 for the MACs that are similar to the router's WLAN MACS listed under Network Map\System Status.

OE

When the node is up, what are the wireless backhaul RSSI, Tx, and Rx rates? These are in the Wireless Log under 2.4 and 5.0 for the MACs that are similar to the router's WLAN MACS listed under Network Map\System Status.

OE

Not sure how to tell which MAC's are similar (they look completely different).

This is from the table under the System Log > Wireless Log (I just restarted the router since it was offline; seems like a daily thing):
Code:
Associated Authorized    RSSI PSM SGI STBC MUBF Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
Yes        Yes         -73dBm No  Yes Yes  No      650M  263.2M 00:03:25
Yes        Yes         -64dBm No  Yes Yes  Yes     780M    650M 00:24:14
Yes        Yes         -59dBm Yes Yes No   No      650M     24M 18:25:56
Yes        Yes         -41dBm Yes Yes No   No    866.7M     24M 88:55:24

I might switch to older firmware. I don't recall this being a thing before the latest update.

The first four fields of the Logged backhaul MACs should be the same as for your router WLAN MACs... only the last two fields vary. That's how it is here anyway.

I suspect these are your 5.0 GHz wireless backhaul numbers:
-64dBm No Yes Yes Yes 780M 650M

They seem 'good enough'. From my experience... if they get too marginal, the node drops offline.

Also look at your 2.4 GHz numbers... I'm not sure how AiMesh responds if, say, the 2.4 GHz backhaul numbers are marginal due to 2.4 GHz interference... something to watch.

Before downgrading firmware, I would reset/initialize both nodes and reconfigure from scratch, if you did not do that for the last upgrade.

OE

Last edited:
I have an RT-AC86U as my main router in my house with a RT-AC1900P as a mesh node (wireless).

I have the latest firmware updates (according to the android app).

Lately the AC1900 is having trouble staying connected. Upon review, I noticed that all my devices that are on 2.4GHz are connected to this node, and only the 5GHz are connecting to the aC86U. When the 1900 goes offline, all 2.4GHz go offline and will not connect to the AC86U.

I have 3 devices running on 5GHz (2 TV's and a computer) and a bunch of devices on 2.4 (Nest system, cell phones, tablets etc). If I change the devices (like a cell phone) to 5GHz they connect to AC86U right away.

Is this a setting I have somewhere?

Obviously the 1900 disconnecting all the time is a problem, but I'm not expecting the devices to connect to a specific node based on the frequency. I just find this odd.

Thanks for any feedback!

Could you send feedback with system log, wifi log by administrator->feedback function ?

So I reflashed the firmware to both routers using google chrome and everything seems to be back to normal.

I'm guessing the problem was I updated the firmware before using the Android App? I'm just happy all is working as expected!!! Now to see if the AC1900P will stay online.

Thanks for your feedback!

Submitted but I get this error:

The system failed to connect to the mail server(possibly caused by your ISP blocked SMTP port 25).

I forwarded it to router_feedback@asus.com as instructed.

The AC1900 went offline again so all my 2.4GHz devices are not able to connect :(

This is your current FW 3.0.0.4.384_21140-ge07a2dd, Could you update to newest with both devices?

So I reflashed the firmware to both routers using google chrome and everything seems to be back to normal.

I'm guessing the problem was I updated the firmware before using the Android App? I'm just happy all is working as expected!!! Now to see if the AC1900P will stay online.

Thanks for your feedback!

Good to know your current status. :)

Good to know your current status. :)
Thanks for the help! I have both routers on the latest version now:

AC86U: Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_21140-ge07a2dd
AC1900P: Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_32738-gc9a116a

Both are working as expected. 5 and 2.4 are connected to both and when I power down the node, all connect to the main router!! :)