What's new

ASUS XT(8 2 node mesh: troubleshoot IP camera dosconnection issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thegios

Occasional Visitor
I have two XT8 nodes: node 1 is connectred to the modem via WAN, node two is connected to node 1 via dedicated wifi backhaul.
Modem has no wifi capabilities, it's only an FTTH modem, all wifi capabilities are provided by the XT8 system, one single SSID for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

So far, after more than a year, I have never had any disconnetction problems: two smartphones, one tablet, one notebook, one Google Nest thermostat, one Google Nest Speaker and one Xiaomi camera.
Recently I have replaced the Xiaomi camera with a Google Nest camera running on battery. This camera, randonly (cannot find any pattern) is "going offline": I leave home, I turn on the camera (from Google Home app) and at a certain point I get a notification from Google Home app that the camera is offline, and as matter of fact I cannot see the liove stream from Google Home app. This offline status may last from 5 to 60 minutes.
Unfortunately this happens always when I am outside, so I cannot check the camera's led status and I cannot access the ATX admin web console to verify the nodes status and which devices are connected to it.
The two nodes are 6 meters apart and the camera is mid way between both nodes.
I have also tried binding the camera to either node, to no avail: camera still goes offline.

Is there a way, once home, to verify connection/disconnections history on web console?
Is there a way to understand if camera goes offline because of the node(s) kicking out the device?

Any other idea to troubleshoot where the problem is?

thx

Does your ISP provide you with 2 IPs?

Your description indicates that you are plugging two things into the modem (Main router and Node 1).

Your description indicates that you are plugging two things into the modem (Main router and Node 1).
Where do you deduct tgis from, so that I can correct?

Anyhow, I have an FTTH modem (provided by my ISP) connected to the FTTH plug into the wall, this modem is connected to node 1 WAN port. The modem is the one providing me the public IP and has a DHCP limited to 192.168.1.2 assigned to node 1.

Alll wifi capabilities are provided by node1/2, where node 1 has firewall on and DHCP in the range 192.168.50.2 - .20

Nest camera is the only device going offline: all I need to understand is if it's the XT8 mesh system kicking out the camera (which reconnects after 2-50 minutes) or if it's the camera going offline by itself.

Is tehre a connection history on the web console, where I can see the history of which devices have bee attached to wifi and for how long and mainly what's the reason?

It cpould even be that the camera does remain attached to the wifi network but a Google Nest server error makes the camera inaccessible.

Recently I have replaced the Xiaomi camera with a Google Nest camera running on battery.
"And this is when trouble started." Right?

The two nodes are 6 meters apart and the camera is mid way between both nodes.
This may be an issue if the camera can't reach a decision about which AP to attach itself after it awakes from sleep (which "awakening" is undoubtedly what's happening). "Bind" it to one or the other broadcasters and see how that pans out, as a first step.

"And this is when trouble started." Right?
Yes
This may be an issue if the camera can't reach a decision about which AP to attach itself after it awakes from sleep (which "awakening" is undoubtedly what's happening). "Bind" it to one or the other broadcasters and see how that pans out, as a first step.
I have tried binding to node 1 and node 2, camera keeps.going offline.

What I am trying to understand is if there's a log where I can see when a device connects and disconnects.

The system log, available as a "web page" on the router (Administration / System Logs, or some such), or peruse-able as a plain text file by SSH-ing into the router (if not in /tmp then surely in /jffs [syslog.log]), will usually note such association attempts / changes.