What's new

AiMish Using 2.4GHZ Band Only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neil62

Is there anybody out there running AiMesh using only the 2.4GHZ band? The reason I ask is that depending on your environment 5GHZ bands are next to useless, i.e. distance, penetrations of signal, etc. But after my testing it would seem that AiMesh cannot run only on a single band (2.4 GHZ)....how impracticable is that? Forced to run multiple bands in different environments (environment dependent of course where they are useful), in my environment, the higher ban/s are slower, connection strength, transit/receive level, are low. But of course devices will still connect to the 5GHZ bands, based on signal strength, but in reality they are slower, than the 2.4GHZ band. So ya, I want to disable the 5ghz band/s and ya, there is warning about that for AiMesh, OK great, but in my environment, I have better speed and connectivity only using the 2.4GHZ band. So for AiMesh, you are forced to use all Bands? Can AiMesh run on any single band only?

It would seem from AiMesh, this does not work (single band, 2.4GHZ only, my environment)...i.e disabling the 5GHZ band/s....it will allow with warning, but nodes are then disconnecting....So same question again, for Aimesh, all bands must be enabled? regardless of their usefulness? Sort of like, an all of nothing then...

While I am in that mood, where are guest accounts on nodes? Still not able to do this....this is a necessity in some environments...

And ya, I know before anyone replies, yes, so don't use AiMesh.....

Last edited:
Don't know if you saw my post on aimesh vs repeater. I got aimesh setup on 5ghz backhaul and 2.4ghz ssid broadcast. AiMesh ends up sharing the exact same channel across all of the nodes. Meaning all of the nodes are sharing the exact same 2.4ghz channel and subsequently sharing throughput.

My current setup is an ac88u which connects to two different ac68u repeaters using the 5ghz band. I then have all three broadcasting their own 2.4ghz ssid which is where i connect most of my devices to saving the 5ghz for mostly controlled traffic backhaul from the repeaters and a few other devices. The repeaters are connecting to the ac88 at 1053 to 1300mb/s so the performance is pretty decent. I also avoid putting most of the slower wireless devices on the 5ghz band so they don't slow down the router/bridge connections.

This way i have pretty much complete coverage without the headache of aimesh.

Don't know if you saw my post on aimesh vs repeater. I got aimesh setup on 5ghz backhaul and 2.4ghz ssid broadcast. AiMesh ends up sharing the exact same channel across all of the nodes. Meaning all of the nodes are sharing the exact same 2.4ghz channel and subsequently sharing throughput.

My current setup is an ac88u which connects to two different ac68u repeaters using the 5ghz band. I then have all three broadcasting their own 2.4ghz ssid which is where i connect most of my devices to saving the 5ghz for mostly controlled traffic backhaul from the repeaters and a few other devices. The repeaters are connecting to the ac88 at 1053 to 1300mb/s so the performance is pretty decent. I also avoid putting most of the slower wireless devices on the 5ghz band so they don't slow down the router/bridge connections.

This way i have pretty much complete coverage without the headache of aimesh.
Thanks for the reply. The main reason I want to try and stick to using AiMesh is for the centralized management across the whole system. And yep its a long way from perfect yet, but each firmware upgrades are at least stabilizing it. The annoying/disappointing part, at least for me, is the lack of new functionality being introduced. As a starting point for me, of improved functionality:
  1. Guest accounts on Nodes
  2. Ability to view band connections of clients connected to nodes via the web GUI
  3. Schedule/manual reboot of nodes via the web GUI

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!