What's new

Antenna upgrade/new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MysteriousGuy

Occasional Visitor
I have a TP link WDR4300.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT...s=Wifi+antenna

Will adding 3 of the above antenna improve my range.?

The router is placed in the center of the house.
I'm mostly interested in stretching the 5Ghz range since the 2.4ghz band is pretty crowded here (I live in an apartment).

Edit : I have 5 smartphones, 1 tablet & 1 laptop.

I'm open to other *Cheaper* suggestions ;)

Last edited:
I have a TP link WDR4300.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT...s=Wifi+antenna

Will adding 3 of the above antenna improve my range.?

The router is placed in the center of the house.
I'm mostly interested in stretching the 5Ghz range since the 2.4ghz band is pretty crowded here (I live in an apartment).

I'm open to other *Cheaper* suggestions ;)

Those 8dBi antennas are really more like 5dBi.
So they might improve the bi-directional signals by that much, e.g., make the received signal at each end about 5dB better.

The question is: do you really need 10 or 20dB more signal to get the reliability and speed you want?
5dB is really not much, compared to the end typical attenuation due to distance, walls, floors, masonry, etc.
And with those types of antennas, you sacrifice vertical-plane signal strength - important if you're trying to cover 2 floors with one router.

So, the answer is "probably not".
Router location is #1 priority. If an ideal location still leaves bad coverage areas, you need access point(s). Or less desirably, a WiFi repeater/range extender.

If the shortfall is large - meaning you have a quite weak signal at the client, OR the signal FROM the client is quite weak at the router, then you probably have more than 10dB of shortfall and the antenna's 5 or even 8dBi as claimed won't make much difference.
Some client devices have far less transmitted power than does a router or access point. WiFi is two-way. It's not a one-way broadcast.

The antenna you mention isn't going to help much, as it's matched for 2.4GHz, and 5GHz could actually suffer as a result - as SteveCH mentioned above, bigger antennas have limited benefit as it doesn't change the client side at all...

Depends on the layout of the apartment - but most routers should be able to light up 1000 sq ft without much problem...

The antenna you mention isn't going to help much, as it's matched for 2.4GHz, and 5GHz could actually suffer as a result - as SteveCH mentioned above, bigger antennas have limited benefit as it doesn't change the client side at all...

Depends on the layout of the apartment - but most routers should be able to light up 1000 sq ft without much problem...

Those 8dBi antennas are really more like 5dBi.
So they might improve the bi-directional signals by that much, e.g., make the received signal at each end about 5dB better.

The question is: do you really need 10 or 20dB more signal to get the reliability and speed you want?
5dB is really not much, compared to the end typical attenuation due to distance, walls, floors, masonry, etc.
And with those types of antennas, you sacrifice vertical-plane signal strength - important if you're trying to cover 2 floors with one router.

So, the answer is "probably not".
Router location is #1 priority. If an ideal location still leaves bad coverage areas, you need access point(s). Or less desirably, a WiFi repeater/range extender.

If the shortfall is large - meaning you have a quite weak signal at the client, OR the signal FROM the client is quite weak at the router, then you probably have more than 10dB of shortfall and the antenna's 5 or even 8dBi as claimed won't make much difference.
Some client devices have far less transmitted power than does a router or access point. WiFi is two-way. It's not a one-way broadcast.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/product-review-tp-link-tl-wdr4300.8476/#post-56136

The antennae won't make much difference. It is the base hardware and firmware that limits the range, it seems.

I would suggest buying a newer router.

The RT-AC56U or higher would be a huge step up, especially for the 5GHz band for around $100 or less (on sale).

The mobile devices suffer the most. On the laptop I can still watch youtube with few hiccups.

I don't need vertical range at all. I live in an apartment.
The walls here are thick & full concrete. No drywall or wood walls. I think that reduces the range.

I need the devices to be able to play youtube there as I sleep in that room. So what is the solution?
I'm really a noob when it comes to wireless.

A new router? I don't mind shelling out $100 if it really FIXES my problem.
The AC56U has internal antennas. Does that affect range?
Also a google search shows overheating issues for AC56u. Is that relevant?

Or what other router/solution would you guys recommend?

Last edited:
The mobile devices suffer the most. On the laptop I can still watch youtube with few hiccups.

I don't need vertical range at all. I live in an apartment.
The walls here are thick & full concrete. No drywall or wood walls. I think that reduces the range.

I need the devices to be able to play youtube there as I sleep in that room. So what is the solution?
I'm really a noob when it comes to wireless.

A new router? I don't mind shelling out $100 if it really FIXES my problem.
The AC56U has internal antennas. Does that affect range?
Also a google search shows overheating issues for AC56u. Is that relevant?

Or what other router/solution would you guys recommend?

Yes, mobile, handheld devices have inferior WiFi implementations. Mostly because of power and battery life limitations, in addition to many being a 1x1 solution.

Internal or external antennae don't matter too much. It is the design and implementation of those antennae that affects the effective range. The RT-AC56U has excellent value at $100, even compared to other routers currently. Combine with RMerlin, john9527 or hggomes firmware forks and you have a router solution that is a very big upgrade over your current router.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-3_hgg-final-mod.26524/page-2#post-199549

Overheating issues for that model? I haven't run into any myself (for my customers). Nor have I read on anything significant here, either. Yes, it does run warm, but it is not an issue at all.

For an apartment, anything better than an RT-AC56U with appropriate firmware is 'overkill'. Especially when intended to be used with mobile devices for youtube.

Other members here have found these routers at even the $55 price point too, so a thorough search for sales is recommended.

With regards to positioning, locate the router at least 10' above earth (ground) level, with at least 2' or 3' of free air all around it. Do not place in a closet or bookshelf. And place it in the center of the area you want covered, taking into account the 3D layout, obstacles and most used (or important) rooms.

There is no other router that I would consider or recommend today. Yes, it is that good.

Does TP-Link WDR4300 use dual band antennas? It is cheaper to buy another router or access point (or reperter if not using cable) than buy three over 10 dBi dual band omni antennas. And dual band 3x3 omnis are hard to find.

edit:
another = second

Last edited:
A new router is unlikely to correct weak signal/poor coverage problems. The laws of physics prevail.

A new router is unlikely to correct weak signal/poor coverage problems. The laws of physics prevail.

It will when the current router used was rated 'poor' at launch.

Bad designs can be easily surpassed by better ones.

It will when the current router used was rated 'poor' at launch.

Bad designs can be easily surpassed by better ones.
Thanks for all the help.

Instead of spending $100 on a new router, I'm going to buy a new AP for the room. Running a cable to that room is going to be a nightmare. But this seems the best solution (correct me if I am wrong)

Need recommendation for cheap & durable AP/router. I'd prefer it to be dual band. N would be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help.

Instead of spending $100 on a new router, I'm going to buy a new AP for the room. Running a cable to that room is going to be a nightmare. But this seems the best solution (correct me if I am wrong)

Need recommendation for cheap & durable AP/router. I'd prefer it to be dual band. N would be fine.

If the AP will only be for that single room? I would suggest an RT-N56U if you can get it at a good price.

For something with extra oomph (especially in the 5GHz band)? I would recommend an RT-AC56U at about $100 or less.

Do not recommend a dedicated 'AP'. Buy a router that is usable as you need (now and in the future).

If the AP will only be for that single room? I would suggest an RT-N56U if you can get it at a good price.

For something with extra oomph (especially in the 5GHz band)? I would recommend an RT-AC56U at about $100 or less.

Do not recommend a dedicated 'AP'. Buy a router that is usable as you need (now and in the future).
I don't need the range & horsepower of Ac56u. The second router will only cover that room.

The initial budget for this project was $30

Need a robust dual band router around $50 USD (+-$10). Don't wanna spend more than that. Also, it would be nice to have ddwrt/tomato etc support. Not compulsory though.
Thank you.

Edit : The N56u in my country costs 8k ($130) . AC56u costs 12.5k ($200).

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the help

I've narrowed down my search to the following models. They fit my budget well.

Dlink DIR 816 AC750 - 2k($35)

TP Link Archer C2 AC750 - 2k($35)

Tenda FH1201 AC1200 - 2.2k($38ish)

Netgear WNDR3400 N600 - 2.8k($45)
We already have one in our shop. It's been a year & It rarely drops wifi. But runs toasty. Thinking of avoiding it.

Dlink DIR 850L AC1200 - 4k($80)

Leaning towards the C2. Is the 850L worth the price bump?

Those AC750 routers use only 1x1:1 MIMO at 5 GHz. Dlink DIR 850L AC1200 doubles the speed (2x2:2 MIMO). Max data rate for 802.11n clients 150 -> 300 Mbps and for 802.11ac clients 433 -> 867 Mbps.

Consider ASUS - I use their mid-range. Very reliable.
I would like to buy an Asus router. I've been using their motherboards for years.
There only mid range Asus router that fits the budget is AC51u. It's an AC750 that costs 3.6k($55ish). Not the best value for money.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!