What's new

Modem + Wi-Fi Router Placement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Manvadher

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Recently obtained an Asus GT-AXE11000 + Huawei HG612 to replace my BT Homehub 6A + Fibre 2 package (72down/20up).

Using the resources here things are looking good to switch over in the coming few days, settings all ready to go, Merlin installed and stuff.

The question I have is, can I place the HG612 in the middle of the GT-AXE11000? Would it cause any issues with the WiFi signal or would it be better to distance the modem from the WiFi router.

Thanks all

Hi all,

Recently obtained an Asus GT-AXE11000 + Huawei HG612 to replace my BT Homehub 6A + Fibre 2 package (72down/20up).

Using the resources here things are looking good to switch over in the coming few days, settings all ready to go, Merlin installed and stuff.

The question I have is, can I place the HG612 in the middle of the GT-AXE11000? Would it cause any issues with the WiFi signal or would it be better to distance the modem from the WiFi router.

Thanks all

If they are two APs broadcasting WiFi, you would separate them as far as is suitable for not excessively overlapping their WiFi coverage... say 40-80' apart depending on radio factors.

OE

Hi OE,

Thanks for the response. The HG612 is a DSL modem only and the other is the AP. In order to save space I just wanted to really place the HG612 modem in the middle of the GT-AXE11000 between the attennas and then ontop of that the Hive device so all things are together with minimal cable mess.
Think of them sandwiched together. Only the Hive has a Zigbee signal.

Thx

Generally you don't want two devices together like that as just being in proximity of each other can lead to interference.

Hi OE,

Thanks for the response. The HG612 is a DSL modem only and the other is the AP. In order to save space I just wanted to really place the HG612 modem in the middle of the GT-AXE11000 between the attennas and then ontop of that the Hive device so all things are together with minimal cable mess.
Think of them sandwiched together. Only the Hive has a Zigbee signal.

Thx

Keep the boxes reasonably apart to minimize EMI and heat buildup. Locate the AP central, high, and in the clear... don't crowd the antennas. Stacking boxes is not a good idea. Burying an AP in the mess behind a media center... is not a good idea.

OE

All makes sense. I'll put the modem and the Hive box together and then further in the garage, the AP.

Let's hope I don't bum into any spiders.

Thanks all

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!