What's new

Any command to force a client to use both wan?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

N/A

Occasional Visitor
I'm using dualwan with load balancing and policy routing. Let's say I have device A, B and others. I would like to have A to use WAN1, B to use WAN1 and WAN2, and others to use WAN2. Currently I set A's IP to use WAN1 and the whole LAN IP range to use WAN2. Since the first rule has higher priority, everything works according to the plan except device B. There isn't a "use both WAN" option in the webui so is there any command available to do that? Thanks.

Hmm, isn't the fact you have it configured for "load balancing" effectively using both WANs?

Hmm, isn't the fact you have it configured for "load balancing" effectively using both WANs?
Well by default it is but my second rule sets everything beside device A to use WAN2. And then there isn't an option in the webui to make an ip to use both wan.

I think what eibgrad is saying is that all clients should default to both WAN unless there's a rule to use one or the other.

I think what eibgrad is saying is that all clients should default to both WAN unless there's a rule to use one or the other.
That's true. The problem is that I need everything beside A and B to use WAN2 because asus's load balancing will break HTTPS connections.
Currently I'm using
Rule 1: "from device A to all use WAN1"
Rule 2: "from 192.168.1.0/24 to all use WAN2"
which works perfectly fine except device B can only use one WAN. I know it's probably possible to divide the whole /24 into several segments and writing rules to cover each one of them but I'm just trying to find an elegant way to fix this.

How about if you set your DHCP range to end at something like .199 for example and make a reservation outside of this range for any device you want to use both WAN connections?
Then change the WAN 2 rule to match whatever your DHCP scope start and end is.

/edit
That's presuming that the WAN rules allow you to set ranges, otherwise you'd need to use /25 and lower DHCP range to end at .126

How about if you set your DHCP range to end at something like .199 for example and make a reservation outside of this range for any device you want to use both WAN connections?
Then change the WAN 2 rule to match whatever your DHCP scope start and end is.

/edit
That's presuming that the WAN rules allow you to set ranges, otherwise you'd need to use /25 and lower DHCP range to end at .126
Unfortunately rules don't allow ip ranges so I guess using CIDR notations is the only option. Never thought about changing DHCP range before. Am I right that anything outside the range needs to have manual ip assignment?

Unfortunately rules don't allow ip ranges so I guess using CIDR notations is the only option. Never thought about changing DHCP range before. Am I right that anything outside the range needs to have manual ip assignment?
Yep, anything outside of the range needs a reservation or static settings. Not ideal, but I can't see any other way around it.

I think with dnsmasq you can have different DHCP ranges for different interfaces, but not for arbitrary clients.

Well at last I went with dividing the whole LAN into lots of CIDR blocks and writing 20ish rules. Honestly why can't asus just allow writing a rule to use both wan? It would be much simpler than doing the opposite.

I'm surprised it doesn't create a virtual interface or something.

IIRC the dualwan part is closed source so we're stuck with Asus's implementation. At least they increased the max number of rules from 32 to 64 sometime ago.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!