What's new

AP Mode- 3.0.0.4.220.18 (Merlin build) - Client Staus List

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dbott

Occasional Visitor
Hello All...

First time poster as I am new to this RT-N66U router after trying several looking for a nice dual band solution. (2.4 for wireless cameras and other items and 5ghz for the MacBook Pros to use.)

In any case, I have installed 3.0.0.4.220.18 (Merlin build) and I am running the RT-N66U in AP mode only with a CradlePoint MBR1400 doing acting as the main router and DHCP with a 4G failover.

The issue I am seeing is that in the CLIENT STATUS area that shows all the clients running hitting the N66U for one reason or another, is just messed up information.

Example...My MacBook Pro named Macky is connected via 5Ghz and I can see it in the Wireless Log listed correctly with the right MAC address and IP it currently has. Same goes for my wife's MacBook pro machine.

However...If I look in the CLIENT STATUS list, not only is my MAC Address not right, it is also not the right IP address. And again, same for my wife's machine.

I can see the IP address in the client status screen, but it is NOT my host name but is my MAC Address. It is showing the IP with the wrong host name and sometimes then wrong Mac Address as the host name. (The you hover over it and get the real Mac Address.)

Then I can REFRESH and I will see a totally different information or it might show some correct.

5Ghz...This is weird...I see another 5Ghz connection and if I look up MAC address it shows it is registered to APPLE. Thus an Apple device. However, the weird part is it is just me and my wife with the MacBooks. We have an original iPad but it is not on and even I think the battery is not changed and thus dead. Other than that...No idea about any other 5Ghz device in the home. I can not ping the IP that it shows is assigned to it nor does it respond to any port probes. (Oh, we site on 4 acres with then next closet home 400 feet away. They would not know the password as I just added it and they would not be the type of people that would do that anyway or know how.)

I did clear the NVRAM before and after the install and as mentioned, this is a new RT-N66U.

Guest Network...Can't run a guest network at all for all it does is make an OPEN network and hands out the same IP and Subnet thus guests have full access to my entire internal network. How can they sell this as having a guest network when all it does is make an OPEN network? (so that is off of course but I really wanted to use it.)

Side note...for such a greatly respected router, it really does seem to do a poor job in logs and wireless connection information. Was kind of taken back by that. Even more so when you consider the above with the wrong information being shown in the client list.

Thank you kindly for any insite you may have.

David

The Network Client list on the front page is actually a list of computers your router knows about, not a list of active clients. That list will not be accurate until every device on the network as either been rebooted, or has seen its DHCP lease expire and get renewed. Computers whose lease have expired and has not been renewed might still be listed there, as the network map program doesn't seem to be purging inactive entries. It has no way of knowing when a wired entry is actually expired, so it's tricky to manage.

The difference with the Wireless Log page where I have added additional information is that page lists the active wireless devices based on their association with the radio. This is easier to have an up-to-date list there because wireless devices need to communicate back with the router constantly, so that way that list will always be up-to-date (up to a few minutes that is).

The IP and name are also more accurate than on the Network Map because I am actually looking these up based on the registered MAC (those fields were added by me), rather than based on a non up-to-date list like the Network Map page might be using.

I agree that the Network Map list isn't very useful considering how inaccurate it might be (showing long gone clients and all). That list is harder to maintain because it needs to also report wired clients, and there is no real way for the router to know if a wired client is still there or not (as opposed to a wireless client that needs to contact the router constantly).

As for the Guest Network, there is an option called "Access Intranet" that will allow you to prevent guest clients from accessing your network devices.

Hi...

Thank you for the kind and detailed response.

Permit me to please follow up.

CLIENT STATUS...

Understood on the Client Status info (Network Map). However, one would think that after 48 hours, that list should be correct. :) I understand that the wired clients do not need to "check in" sot to speek. However, they would hit it once in awhile and thus it should know and see what is active on the network. (At least thats my logic which has not always been known to be right. :)) It is just very strange to see MAC Address not correct with HOST Names or even IP's and even worse...see them change! That is one poor item to say the least when it comes to the router or maybe it is something else. You mentioned you added them, but they surely are not correct at least in my case. Maybe it is more of an issue running it in AP mode?

WiFi Clients...

In regards to your WiFi clients report. Not sure if this is just me or not, but the item headers do not line up. See attached. Also, I do not get host names and only sometimes get IP's. (I mention this as you mentioned you give host names.) In the attached, the 2.4 shows no IP's. And in the 5Gz one, you can see my MacBook and that then phantom Mac address. Still can not find that.

And last...GUEST MODE....

I can not seem to find what you called "Access Intranet". I do see in the wireless area under PROFESSIONAL "Set AP Isolated". But I do not think that is what as that would mess up my access.

I do not find any such settings under the GUEST NETWORK area. Can you please kindly advise.

Just a reminder...I run in AP mode as I use a MBR1400 as my main router based on the 4G failover.

Thank you kindly for your help and your work.

Attachments

• screenshot_304.png
    screenshot_304.png
    56 KB · Views: 548
  • screenshot_305.png
    screenshot_305.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Howdy,
The Asus RT-N66U is a good router. All the items work when it acts as a router. When you use it in Access Point mode, you defeat a lot of the options. You can not have a guest network option when its in access point mode. It needs to be the router for this function to work. The network map will never be exactly right when in access point mode, since it really is not handing out the ip's. Your cradle point should have this information.

Guest Network...Can't run a guest network at all for all it does is make an OPEN network and hands out the same IP and Subnet thus guests have full access to my entire internal network. How can they sell this as having a guest network when all it does is make an OPEN network? (so that is off of course but I really wanted to use it.)

After you "Enable" Guest, you are correct that it is an Open system. However, that just means that anyone can connect to the router and the Internet. But access to your internal network (Intranet/LAN) is prevented by default. (Top of the Guest Network screen: "The Guest Network provides Internet connection for guests but restricts access to your Intranet.")

Go back to your Guest Network screen and click on "Modify" then "Authentication Method" and select WPA2-Personal (or whatever) to secure the Wi-Fi access so only your authorized guests can use the system. When in AP mode, there is no "Access Intranet" option to choose from; there's simply no access to the Intranet as I described above. However, when in router mode, the "Access Intranet" option is disabled (default) or enabled as the last choice when the Modify screen is displayed.

WiFi Clients...

In regards to your WiFi clients report. Not sure if this is just me or not, but the item headers do not line up. See attached. Also, I do not get host names and only sometimes get IP's. (I mention this as you mentioned you give host names.) In the attached, the 2.4 shows no IP's. And in the 5Gz one, you can see my MacBook and that then phantom Mac address. Still can not find that.

AP mode is different from regular mode because in that mode, the DHCP server doesn't reside on the RT-N66U but on your main router. That's why it's unable to resolve hostnames then - there is no local leases to associate with MAC addresses.

Due to how it works, AP mode is more limited than regular router mode.

And last...GUEST MODE....

I can not seem to find what you called "Access Intranet". I do see in the wireless area under PROFESSIONAL "Set AP Isolated". But I do not think that is what as that would mess up my access.

I do not find any such settings under the GUEST NETWORK area. Can you please kindly advise.

After enabling Guest Mode there should be a Modify button on the Guest page. When you click on it you will be able to configure the Guest network settings.
guest2.png

guest1.png

Thanks all for your responses.

I know that AP mode would be different then full router mode. But seeing I use the MBR1400, and it is rock solid and not to mentioned downstairs in my rack so I needed an AP upstairs in the main part of the home.

Ok, I get the report part being so wrong and why. But to me it does not mean it should be wrong. The Buffalo AG300H I was using in AP mode and it had all correct information. So, well, if it can, they should be able to.

In regards to the GUEST MODE. It simply does not work at least in AP mode.

1) Enable GUEST NETWORK. Just keeping it as an OPEN network with no password.

2) See the network and try to connect. It will not connect.

3) Modify the network to give it a password for WPA2 Personal just to see if it needs the encryption to match the main network.

4) Try to connect...it asks for your password. You put it in. It will not connect.

Note that it does not give you a failed password...it takes the password, just does not connect. (Using MacBook Pro) Thus no access to anything.

So, just wondering, has anyone actually tried a Guest Network in AP mode? I am asking for it is does work as talked about above...then I surely have something wrong. For one, as mentioned, I do not have the option as shown above. And even when it is ON, no connection at all.

If the AP does does not work, or is not suppose to work in AP mode...then that itself is an issue that it even then shows up as an option. So, well, something clearly is not right.

I purchased it based on the great reviews and the great following. In regards to wireless, it does preform better than the Buffalo as I have better connection distance and speed. So I like that. However, it seems to have a lot of issues for something that has been out this long. Even more so when you have people like Merlin making it better for them. I considered trying it as a full router, however after reading some of the issues it has, I could not trust this to be my main router to the net as it seems to have a crashing issue. :) Such a shame really. But again, I did not buy it for that reason and I do need failover protection.

Attachments

• screenshot_306.png
    screenshot_306.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 518
  • screenshot_307.png
    screenshot_307.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 484
Looking at this, now I figure out that Guest Mode does not allow you to limit connections to other Intranet clients because the AP has no control over your Intranet traffic. The AP merely forwards traffic to your main router, at which point that main router would forward traffic to any other Intranet client. So it's simply not possible for the AP to prevent that.

It is possible as I was doing it with the Buffalo. :) What is does is it hands out a different IP subnet. 192.168.2.X to guests connections via DHCP that is only being used for guests. The main WiFi connections just are not using DHCP. Then it directs all the 192.168.2.X connection right to the router to go out. Meaning all traffic on the guest network can only be sent to 192.168.1.1 (main router) that then sends it to the internet.

To me, this is a failure of software from ASUS. It also should be CLEARLY stated that Guest Mode does not work when in AP mode. Even them having it show up when in AP mode does not seem right.

Maybe I can do it with DD-WRT on it. I just can not get why companies like ASUS which can make some good hardware can not get the software to work with such hardware.

BTW...

Dug this up on the Buffalo programming...

They used Bridging and do DNSMasq for the wireless side...

# Enables DHCP on br1
interface=br1
# Set the default gateway for br1 clients
dhcp-option=br1,3,192.168.2.1
# Set the DHCP range and default lease time of 24 hours for br1 clients
dhcp-range=br1,192.168.2.100,192.168.2.150,255.255.255.0,24h

So, just saying. :)

But I really so far like the reach and speed of the 66U. Just am beside myself on the software or lack their of.

It is possible as I was doing it with the Buffalo. :) What is does is it hands out a different IP subnet. 192.168.2.X to guests connections via DHCP that is only being used for guests.

The router was not working as a real AP then. A different IP subnet = routing required. An AP should have zero routing functionality enabled. So either your Buffalo was not configured as an AP, or they are mixing AP and Router functionality, which can create other issues.

BTW...

# Enables DHCP on br1
interface=br1

So, just saying. :)

But I really so far like the reach and speed of the 66U. Just am beside myself on the software or lack their of.

The fact it has a DHCP server (dnsmasq) confirms what I am saying. That router is not working as an AP (which should do nothing but bridge between its wireless clients and the main router) but as a Router.

I don't disagree for sure. The issue I have now is that it was one of the reasons I purchased it. And for them not to state it does not work in AP mode is just poor. Not to mention, even still having it able to be setup when in AP mode is just overly poor and almost shows a lack of knowledge of their own product.

It seems companies are more and more just rolling out beta firmware so people like yourself can debug it and also tell them how to improve it. Such a shame really, but the way of the world.

Just thankful for people like yourself. I just wish they paid you for it.

(I also understand their is no perfect router or AP per say. More or less for the same reason above. ;)) Rush it to market and we will fix it later. It is not just the wireless router world...but happens just way to much.

Thank you again for the time and effort not only in improving their firmware for them, as well as us, but for the time you give to the members of this community and a newbie like me.

Take care, keep safe.

BTW...

# Enables DHCP on br1
interface=br1
Howdy,
If you want to be creative, you can make it all work. Take away router control from the cradlepoint. Have both as DHCP routers, set the ASUS dhcp server to let the flow in the same subnet as the cradlepoint so the asus then has the ability to hand out dhcp ip to the guest network, then pass it onto your internet connection. Like anything, you can setup so many rules and devices, it will make your head swim. True access point have different modes. They have a WDS, client router, cpe, pass-thru, repeater. You could also use a smart switch and keep subnets seperate that way, with a access point on its out subnet by the unit itself handing ip's.

Your wanting a do it all type device, but then cut its legs off and ask why it can't run.:eek:

Howdy,
If you want to be creative, you can make it all work. Take away router control from the cradlepoint. Have both as DHCP routers, set the ASUS dhcp server to let the flow in the same subnet as the cradlepoint so the asus then has the ability to hand out dhcp ip to the guest network, then pass it onto your internet connection. Like anything, you can setup so many rules and devices, it will make your head swim. True access point have different modes. They have a WDS, client router, cpe, pass-thru, repeater. You could also use a smart switch and keep subnets seperate that way, with a access point on its out subnet by the unit itself handing ip's.

Your wanting a do it all type device, but then cut its legs off and ask why it can't run.:eek:

Thanks for the reply but I think you missed the point.

That being, it clearly says and is marketed as having a Guest Network in AP mode or it should not even show up as an option. Even in the docs it shows it. It just clearly does not work and if it does, it just gives you an open network which is just bad as you know.

I would not set it like you mentioned as that could clearly make for routing issues. The CradlePoint, which is just a total work horse, is being used just as the router, not even WiFi, and it handled all the DHCP, IP reservations, about 23 port forwards, DDNS, VPN, and Failover to 4G when/if the cable modem goes down. It gives me alerts and what have you as needed. Sure I can add another router...but that can just make for issues as you may know.

As such, the MBR1400 really should keep "control" vs another device also handing items out and doing things. Thus is why I wanted to use this as just an AP.

the 66U runs well with Merlins firmware, but even with that, it all seems to be beta firmware running on good hardware. (I do not mean his firmware, but ASUS has he can only help what they release.)

Thanks again for the thought.

Last edited:
@dbott: I am also very disappointed with the weak guest network implementation.

The least I expected was a DHCP server to force the guests to use another IP class.

Can someone can confirm that the Tomato FW would be the better solution to solve this more elegant?

Thx