What's new

Apple Remote App Won't Pair with iTunes (via WLAN w/ AP)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ourcore

Occasional Visitor
Hey, guys,

I'm having various issues pairing my iPhone and iPad Remote apps with iTunes on my MacBook.

I never used to experience any issues, but I recently moved and had to set up a second router as an AP because the main router is upstairs and out of reach, which appears to be causing issues. I've done a lot of Googling, but nothing I've found (connecting via USB cable, disabling IPv6/multicasting/IGMP Proxy, and swapping WPA + WPA2 for just WPA2) has worked so far. I've also confirmed that the AP WLAN is not isolated—I'm tearing my hair out here. The app just doesn't find my MacBook, or doesn't appear in iTunes if I'm trying to re-pair it. I'm assuming it's some sort of interference with Bonjour, since I experience the same issue with Wi-Fi Sync, Alfred's Remote, and VLC Remote.

Is there anything else I could try toggling? I'm sure it's just a matter of configuring something in my WLAN. My AP router is an Asus RT-N56U and (unfortunately) the main router is an Optimum D-Link DIR-868L. I'm running the latest versions of iOS, Yosemite, iTunes, and the Remote app. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Everything needs to be on the same IP subnet... otherwise it won't work.

Make sure that your RT-N56U is configured as an AP, not as a router if the DLink provided by Optimum is doing routing duty...

For multicasting, toggle the setting, some routers the selection is inverse of what one would think - give that a try...

And one last thing - with newer versions of iTunes and the Apple Remote Apps for iPad/iPhone, they use Home Sharing, the older stuff is still there, but since depreciated.

Make sure that your RT-N56U is configured as an AP, not as a router if the DLink provided by Optimum is doing routing duty...

For multicasting, toggle the setting, some routers the selection is inverse of what one would think - give that a try...

And one last thing - with newer versions of iTunes and the Apple Remote Apps for iPad/iPhone, they use Home Sharing, the older stuff is still there, but since depreciated.

With home sharing is there any way to relay Apple's protocols across networks? I think Apple uses Bonjour but I am not sure. I kind of have the same problem as I would like to make iTunes available across networks.

With home sharing is there any way to relay Apple's protocols across networks? I think Apple uses Bonjour but I am not sure. I kind of have the same problem as I would like to make iTunes available across networks.

Apple is using Bonjour to facilitate and advertise the services...

Like I mentioned above - it has to be on the same subnet - so LAN/WLAN should work, as long as you're in the same subnet scope, and perhaps, even though I've never tried this, VPN if you're extending your LAN to remote client logging into your VPN...

All of my devices (MacBook and iOS devices) have 192.168.1.x addresses (the router's gateway is 192.168.1.1, AP is .4)--does this mean they're on the same subnet? It's definitely configured as an AP--I don't have a double NAT. I'll try that when I'm home. I've also checked that Home Sharing is enabled in iTunes.

What I meant as a different network is like using 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.5.0/24 and sharing across both networks by relaying Apple protocols.

All of my devices (MacBook and iOS devices) have 192.168.1.x addresses (the router's gateway is 192.168.1.1, AP is .4)--does this mean they're on the same subnet? It's definitely configured as an AP--I don't have a double NAT. I'll try that when I'm home. I've also checked that Home Sharing is enabled in iTunes.

I misunderstood your question. 192.168.1.x is the same network as IP address 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.4

So, in terms of being on the same subnet and not breaking the communication, there shouldn't be any issues?

You are all in the same network so it should be fine.

I assume your mask is 255.255.255.0. If you did something weird with your mask you could produce multiple networks.

Last edited:
Also try rebooting the Macbook as well as your ipad/iphone. My iPhone periodically doesn't want to work with the remote app for my Apple TV, or Airplay won't work to my Airport Express or my iPhone won't work to iTunes on my server.

90% of the time, rebooting my phone and it works again. 10% of the time I have to reboot the Apple TV/Express/Server.

Also ensure that Network discovery is on, on your Macbook (if anything like Windows). iTunes might be setup with homesharing on, but if network discovery is toggled off, it might not be reachable.

Also try rebooting the Macbook as well as your ipad/iphone. My iPhone periodically doesn't want to work with the remote app for my Apple TV, or Airplay won't work to my Airport Express or my iPhone won't work to iTunes on my server.

90% of the time, rebooting my phone and it works again. 10% of the time I have to reboot the Apple TV/Express/Server.

Also ensure that Network discovery is on, on your Macbook (if anything like Windows). iTunes might be setup with homesharing on, but if network discovery is toggled off, it might not be reachable.
I rebooted everything, but unfortunately, iTunes still doesn't detect either Remote.

Can you ping the other devices from MacBook or iPad? I have also seen where my AppleTV would not work with the remote until I updated the software on the AppleTV.

Hi Ourcore Welcome to SNB. Just had a thought, have you tried turning off firewalls just as a test? If you can ping your devices then perhaps the firewall is blocking the app.

[Edit] Here is a KB from Apple support that may help. It also mentioned the firewall and tells what ports to allow (if turning it off and it works you can allow these as exceptions). Also unfortunately it also recommends devices be on same router and stated "Using multiple routers may prevent discovery between these devices."

Last edited:
Hi Ourcore Welcome to SNB. Just had a thought, have you tried turning off firewalls just as a test? If you can ping your devices then perhaps the firewall is blocking the app.

[Edit] Here is a KB from Apple support that may help. It also mentioned the firewall and tells what ports to allow (if turning it off and it works you can allow these as exceptions). Also unfortunately it also recommends devices be on same router and stated "Using multiple routers may prevent discovery between these devices."
Yeah, my MacBook firewall is always off. I tried forwarding the ports, but then I realised that it didn't make sense since they're being accessed internally. All of my devices are on the same WLAN/router, though.

What I meant as a different network is like using 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.5.0/24 and sharing across both networks by relaying Apple protocols.

That likely would not work for Bonjour/Rendezvous... like I said earlier - same subnet...

192.168.0.0/24
192.168.5.0/24 <-- this is a different subnet

Yeah, my MacBook firewall is always off. I tried forwarding the ports, but then I realised that it didn't make sense since they're being accessed internally. All of my devices are on the same WLAN/router, though.

The built-in firewall on the Mac doesn't impact local mDNS/Bonjour traffic...

Wait over on MR forums you indicated that when you tried it with both devices connected to the main router it worked, yes? So the issue is when the devices are connected to separate routers (main and AP) correct? Which is what that Apple KB said may not work correctly. Sorry the KB didnt help, there was a lot on info in there to try.

Also, I have read that iTunes does not like IPv6 being enabled/in use by the host machine in some cases. I haven't personally experienced that though.