What's new

Apple Remote App Won't Pair with iTunes (via WLAN w/ AP)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The built-in firewall on the Mac doesn't impact local mDNS/Bonjour traffic...
So, should I disable the router firewall? I don't see it in the interface.

Wait over on MR forums you indicated that when you tried it with both devices connected to the main router it worked, yes? So the issue is when the devices are connected to separate routers (main and AP) correct? Which is what that Apple KB said may not work correctly. Sorry the KB didnt help, there was a lot on info in there to try.
It worked when they were connected to the main router, in that there was a single WLAN configured and no AP.

Also, I have read that iTunes does not like IPv6 being enabled/in use by the host machine in some cases. I haven't personally experienced that though.
I also tried disabling IPv6.

Are you having the same problem with your AppleTV? Does it work with latest software?
I don't have an Apple TV.

Firewall on the Mac, not on the router...

You mentioned earlier that you have a Modem/Gateway, which is a router, and the asus device - make sure either the GW is bridge mode, or that the Asus device is in AP mode, not router mode

IPv6 shouldn't matter on the LAN/WLAN

Firewall on the Mac, not on the router...

You mentioned earlier that you have a Modem/Gateway, which is a router, and the asus device - make sure either the GW is bridge mode, or that the Asus device is in AP mode, not router mode

IPv6 shouldn't matter on the LAN/WLAN
Yes, I confirmed earlier that the Asus is in AP mode--it's not routing.

Well.. then perhaps take the Optimum provided router/AP out of the loop, and hook up the Asus box and use it as the router/AP... if things start working, then you will know where the problem is...

Otherwise, time to call Optimum and ask for assistance, as it's their custom config.. the collective here has done about as much as we can...

I came across some info on another site studying Bonjour. Dlink has a feature called AP isolation which will break Bonjour. Breaking Bonjour will cause your ITunes problem. You need to turn off AP isolation and I think your problem will be fixed. I had it backwards you are not running your DLink as the AP.
Make sure multicast streams are on in the DLink in routing mode.

Last edited: