What's new

Are there any 2.5" NASs around?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jb510

New Around Here
I'd like to add some network storage (mostly for time machine), but power consumption is VERY important to me (I live off grid so every watt matters).

Could anyone recommend a 2.5" drive based NAS?

Googling I came across the Buffalo LinkStation Mini, but it looks like maybe it's old and discontinued and I really need 2-4TBs. I'm not confident about that, just it's not listed on Buffalo's site anymore. The new Drobo mini looks amazing, but way too expensive and overkill for what I need.

It looks like Qnap may have made a 2.5" based NAS as well, but not any more....

Finally I found the Synology DS411slim, which I guess at this point I'm leaning towards, but I'd be just as happy if not more happy with a lower power 2 bay solution.

Any advise on anything mentioned above OR anything I'm missing, you be greatly appreciated.

The drive trays on all Synology and QNAP NASes accept either 2.5" or 3.5" drives. Thecus, too, on newer models. Check the specs.

I'd have reservations about the longevity of 2.5" drives when in a NAS.

Tim, what are your thoughts on the above? I am thinking of getting the QNAP 469 Pro and outfitting it with four Momentus XT 750 drives for reasons similar to (but not quite the same) as the OP's.

I have no experience with 2.5" drives in a NAS, sorry.

I have no experience with 2.5" drives in a NAS, sorry.
Thanks for your quick response!

Perhaps a long-term test with one of the popular 4-bay NAS units is in order, then? Surely, we aren't the only ones looking at this option.

2.5" drives in the Enterprise are nothing new, however, consumer-level SATA drives with decent capacity are finally becoming viable with decent MTBF numbers. It's worth looking into.

Thanks for your quick response!

Perhaps a long-term test with one of the popular 4-bay NAS units is in order, then? Surely, we aren't the only ones looking at this option.

2.5" drives in the Enterprise are nothing new, however, consumer-level SATA drives with decent capacity are finally becoming viable with decent MTBF numbers. It's worth looking into.

Whatever you do, be sure to consult QNAP's approved disk list before purchasing. You'll want a disk they've tested and approved.

The Momentus XT 500 is on the approved HDD list though the 750 hasn't made it yet but presumably will. It's interesting to note that the XT is on the 'not recommended' list for Synology for the stated reason that it 'doesn't go into sleep mode'. I find that hard to believe.

I ended up going with TS-469 and 4x2TB WD Reds in Raid 10 from SimplyNAS. Fabulous company, by the way, with the best pricing. More importantly, they are burning in the HDDs for me under their NASBIT methodology before shipping the QNAP to me in the Middle East. Can't wait!

Personally I've just had 3 Momentous XT 750GB drives fail (SMART failure due to excessive bad blocks) over the course of 6 months. So... I wouldn't personally put those in a NAS, but obviously that's just one person (me) and it could be something unique to my setup (2011 MBP) so I wouldn't draw huge conclusions from it, but I don't abuse the drives.... I had a 500GB XT's prior that was fabulous and still doing great handed down to a 2008 MBP.

Personally I'd be hesitant to use Momentous XT drives in a NAS for other reasons though. Seagate's hybrid drive technology is designed identify and cache frequently used data which isn't the sort of thing most people have on their NAS.

The overriding thing for me is having a low power NAS... still not quite seeing what the best option for that is but will keep digging. Thanks for the discussion, it's a helpful start.

EDIT: More digging turned up this great post on how to sort the NAS database by power usage: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=32757&postcount=5 Still a bit hard to page through, but it's a start.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!