What's new

Asus 3200 repeater Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ianh

New Around Here
Hi folks,

I was advised a 5300 would solve all my wifi problems in my home and whilst its fab and better than my home hub 5 (isn't anything?!?) I'm still left with weak or no wifi in the rooms at the back of the house.

Asus recommended the 3200 in repeater mode and after much tooing and froing have finally admitted repeater mode is only available via old firmware which they no longer supply and therefore the 3200 isnt suitable as a repeater - grr

im left with 2 options find an old asus or merlin firmware that does have the repeater mode (asus say 3.0.0.4.378.2816 had this (but I cant find a copy) or

take it back, get a refund and buy an rp-ac-68u with reduced bandwidth

thoughts and suggestions welcomed

Run Cat6 Ethernet, and turn it into an Access Point..
Sounds promising, thanks but I dont know what or how to run cat 6 ? Just basic router knowledge.

Also as an access point can it still be wifi or does it need to be hard wired via an ethernet to the 5300 ?

Sounds promising, thanks but I dont know what or how to run cat 6 ? Just basic router knowledge.

Also as an access point can it still be wifi or does it need to be hard wired via an ethernet to the 5300 ?

I'm going to assume you need the routers that you bought, and they aren't actually overkill.

Any router in AP mode, which is a layer 2 device, is extending your LAN segment, which will allow you to connect via wifi. (and also be able to use the LAN ports on the Access Point, if required).
Your 5300 will perform router duties (DHCP etc) for your environment.

You would need to run an Ethernet cable (CAT6 ) between the 5300 and 3200, which IMO, is the best way to go, for adding additional wifi coverage, to a home network. Saves all the grief of fooling with extenders, that may, or may not work the way it's intended.

Ok
I'm going to assume you need the routers that you bought, and they aren't actually overkill.

Any router in AP mode, which is a layer 2 device, is extending your LAN segment, which will allow you to connect via wifi. (and also be able to use the LAN ports on the Access Point, if required).
Your 5300 will perform router duties (DHCP etc) for your environment.

You would need to run an Ethernet cable (CAT6 ) between the 5300 and 3200, which IMO, is the best way to go, for adding additional wifi coverage, to a home network. Saves all the grief of fooling with extenders, that may, or may not work the way it's intended.
OK. Thank you. A few final questions:

1/ does the cable then run from the lan port on the 5300 and the main router port on the 3200

2/ do I set the 3200 to apply mode in the administration setting and that's it

3/ which network do I connect too. Will it gave the same I'd then as the 5300 or its own address ?

Thanks again for the help. Using a devolu had been the other suggestion

Ok

OK. Thank you. A few final questions:

1/ does the cable then run from the lan port on the 5300 and the main router port on the 3200

2/ do I set the 3200 to apply mode in the administration setting and that's it

3/ which network do I connect too. Will it gave the same I'd then as the 5300 or its own address ?

Thanks again for the help. Using a devolu had been the other suggestion

Turns out, the 3200 does not support Access Point mode. It supports Wireless Router mode and Bridge mode only. However, according to its Virtual Server page, the 5300 does. You would need to flip them around and configure accordingly.

The modes of operation for the devices are found under Administration Page > Operation Mode.

Here's a link to the 5300 virtual Server you can look at the setup: http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com/index.asp

Oh that's odd, it does appear as an option in the firmware on the administration panel

Turns out, the 3200 does not support Access Point mode. It supports Wireless Router mode and Bridge mode only. However, according to its Virtual Server page, the 5300 does. You would need to flip them around and configure accordingly.

The modes of operation for the devices are found under Administration Page > Operation Mode.

Here's a link to the 5300 virtual Server you can look at the setup: http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com/index.asp

I've got the RT-AC3200 running official firmware, it's capable of AP mode.

Attachments

• 3200.jpg
    3200.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,658
ianh;

I don't know who or when you spoke with anyone from Asus about the AC3200, but if someone from Asus truly advised you to get an AC3200 so you could use it as a repeater, they need to have their heads examined. The AC3200 has never had repeater mode in any firmware, ever.

I have had an AC3200 since they were first released and at no time, ever, has the AC3200 supported Repeater mode. It has three operating modes: 1) Wireless Router mode (Default); 2) Access Point mode; and 3) Media Bridge mode. Period.

If you want to connect it wirelessly to another router, to essentialy "repeat" a wifi channel being broadcast on your 5100, I would certainly advise against using an AC3200, because it can't be done. What you can do, is use it in two different ways:

1) As a Media Bridge: In media bridge mode, you can essentially "repeat" a wireless channel being broadcast by another wireless router (in your case the 5100). But you cannot then repeat the signal using the wireless radios in the AC3200; you can only connect other devices to the LAN ports on the media bridge.

2) As an Access Point: As an access point, you run a Cat5e or 6 cable from one of the LAN ports on your 5100 to the AC3200, thus providing network/internet access to the AC3200, and essentially the AC3200 can then broadcast wireless to other client devices within range of the AC3200. But this mode requires that you can actually run the Cat5/6 cabling physically from one router to the AP (i.e., that you can put the cable in walls, through floors, etc.). If your home is constructed in such a manner that prevents you from running cable, or you just don't want to have a long cable running exposed along the floorway, then this isn't going to be an option for you.

If you really can't run cabling, and you really are looking for a wireless "repeater", I would recommend the RT-AC66, which works great as a repeater. I use two of them in my home with my AC3200: One RT AC66 is used a repeater in a remote office located far from my AC3200, and the other RT AC66 is used in our den as a media bridge to provide network access to our HTPC and other purely entertainment devices. It's close enough that we get great speed and throughput and both of these devices work great. And best of all now that the prices of RT66's have dropped, you can get two or three of them for what you'd pay for one AC3200. Just something to consider.