What's new

Asus XT12 / XT8 and new RT-xxxx wifi 7 devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

agarabaghi

New Around Here
Looking for some general info. I have a xt8 paired with another xt8 in aimesh and a plug in aimesh dual band node. This setup works just fine for me, with the typical issues of band steering etc.

I recommended my friend who was having all kinds of issues with his network to the xt12. Hes got a decent number more nodes, and about 200 devices that connect vs my like 80-100. After some tweaking to get sonos workings everythign was fine. Then all of a sudden a few months later the speed dropped a lot. Every node was only getting like 25mbps when doing speed tests. Hardwired it was pulling the full 1gbit down.

He read that adding as RT as the router would improve his situation so he bought one. Plugged it in and speeds are back being just as fast as they originally were.

Does this make sense, do we think it was a software issue with the XT12s, does adding an RT besides the few extra features make aimesh better? I know the software is a little different between rog / rt and the XT series. Just trying to understand, im now eyeing a wifi 7 router once the new iphones are announced with wifi 7 chips.

I know the software is a little different between rog / rt and the XT series

They run the same Asuswrt firmware with the same AiMesh. Different skin on top for GT/TUF series to match different marketing. All newer models based on BCM4912 or better are scheduled to get Asuswrt 5.0 version (some already have it), all older and non-Pro marketed models will stay on Asuswrt 4.0 version. This is what we know so far.

Is there a way to find out

Currently all new BE-series, all new ExpertWiFi series, plus existing models:

RT-AX86U Pro
RT-AX88U Pro
GT-AX6000
GT-AX11000 Pro
GT-AXE16000
ZenWiFi Pro ET12
ZenWiFi Pro XT12

No idea. All the models above including ZenWiFi are basically variants of the same hardware with different number of radios and different marketing.