What's new

Asus EA-N66 will not connect to 5GHz channels 149 and above

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stimpy

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, I need a little help with this wireless bridge.

I purchased this device, based on the review here, and it arrived yesterday. I got it switched on, and found that it will not see my 5GHz network.

I have started playing with it again, and have found that it will only connect to the old, lower power 5GHz channels. I had the simular problems with my old D-Link DAP-1522 (it did not even support channels 149+), and upgraded to the Asus specifically so that I could use the higher powered 5GHz channels, which are stated as supported in the review. I'm using the latest firmware, 1.0.1.6d.

Does anybody have any idea how I can fix this, as it is no good to me otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

I purchased this, based on the review here, and it arrived yesterday. I got it switched on, and found that it will not see my 5GHz network.

I have started playing with it again, and have found that it will only connect to the old, low power 5GHz channels. I had the same problems with my old D-Link DAP-1522, and upgraded to the Asus specifically so that I could use the higher powered 5GHz channels, which are stated as supported in the review.

Does anybody have any idea how I can fix this, as it is no good to me otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

The channel has nothing to do with power. In fact, the higher the channel, the LOWER your range will be. Higher frequencies don't travel as far as lower frequencies (hence 2.4 GHz having better range than 5 GHz).

The channel has nothing to do with power. In fact, the higher the channel, the LOWER your range will be. Higher frequencies don't travel as far as lower frequencies (hence 2.4 GHz having better range than 5 GHz).
Actually, maximum allowed power does vary by channel in the 5 GHz band.
Channels 34-48: 50 mW
Channels 149-165: 1W

But this generally doesn't help increase range unless both AP and client have equal power, which isn't the case in most uses.

That band is mostly used by commercial WISPs tho. Asus's routers will still cap at 250 mW max on the 5 GHz band, and will output at the same power no matter which channel is being used.

Are you saying they don't properly limit to 50mW on the lower channels? Or that you can crank them up to a max of 250mW by bypassing factory firmware limits?

Are you saying they don't properly limit to 50mW on the lower channels? Or that you can crank them up to a max of 250mW by bypassing factory firmware limits?

With the RT-N66U, you can enter up to 250 mW as output power on the 5 GHz radio, from the webui. I don't have professional equipment to actually measure what the driver outputs out of the antennas, but that's the value that the driver gets passed to by the firmware.

With the RT-N66U, you can enter up to 250 mW as output power on the 5 GHz radio, from the webui. I don't have professional equipment to actually measure what the driver outputs out of the antennas, but that's the value that the driver gets passed to by the firmware.
I will check with ASUS to see if they properly limit power depending on channel, no matter what Tx power value is entered.

Wow, I have some royalty here! Thanks for looking this over guys...

To be honest, I don't know if I have ever seen power output actually change on any of the routers i've ever tried it on, over the years. Even my Apple Airport Extreme does not seem to actually change anything if I set output to it's lowest level, and watch the results on my laptop using InSSIDer.

I just tested, and noticed that the Airport does not increase power on the 5GHz band when using the higher channels. This is not the case with my old Netgear 3700, which outputs about 6-10db higher when set to the upper channels.

But I think one thing seems to be clear, the EA-N66 does not seem to detect the higher (149+) 5GHz channels, which is bad if you don't know how to look in to these things.

This situation is exasperated by the lack of manual settings while in bridge mode. Many other users that purchase the EA-N66 may fall in to this trap, and wonder why it is not seeing their 5GHz network.

I really hope that ASUS puts some serious love in to the firmware, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Thiggins, I am thinking of getting the ASUS RT-N66U, to replace my Airport Extreme. Does the RT-N66U support higher power output on the high 5GHz frequences? (just in case ASUS fix the issue on the EA-N66)

One other point I'd like to make on this issue surrounding WiFI power output... I simply don't understand why it is not a user setting. Legally speaking, it is illegal to sell consumer hardware that by default outputs over the legal limits of the country it is purchased in. However, it is not illegal for the user to change the power output to a higher level him/herself, any power setting in the firmware simply needs a legal disclaimer, warning the user.

Last edited:
Wow, I have some royalty here! Thanks for looking this over guys...

To be honest, I don't know if I have ever seen power output actually change on any of the routers i've ever tried it on, over the years. Even my Apple Airport Extreme does not seem to actually change anything if I set output to it's lowest level, and watch the results on my laptop using InSSIDer.

I just tested, and noticed that the Airport does not increase power on the 5GHz band when using the higher channels. This is not the case with my old Netgear 3700, which outputs about 6-10db higher when set to the upper channels.

But I think one thing seems to be clear, the EA-N66 does not seem to detect the higher (149+) 5GHz channels, which is bad if you don't know how to look in to these things.

This situation is exasperated by the lack of manual settings while in bridge mode. Many other users that purchase the EA-N66 may fall in to this trap, and wonder why it is not seeing their 5GHz network.

I really hope that ASUS puts some serious love in to the firmware, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Thiggins, I am thinking of getting the ASUS RT-N66U, to replace my Airport Extreme. Does the RT-N66U support higher power output on the high 5GHz frequences? (just in case ASUS fix the issue on the EA-N66)

My 5ghz channel on RT-N66U (flashed with Shibby V099) was set to 153 - 5.765 GHz, the 5ghz SSID is on the EA-N66 list (latest firmware), I tried Repeater mode and Wireless Adapter mode, it can connect to the router without any issue.

Last edited:
My 5ghz channel on RT-N66U (flashed with Shibby V099) was set to 153 - 5.765 GHz, the 5ghz SSID does on the EA-N66 list (latest firmware), and it can connect to the router without any issue.

Hi WilliamY I'm located in Denmark, are you in the EU, or in the US, as that might be the reason for the channel to show up on your bridge.

Following up on this. I heard back from ASUS. They say this setting is a bug, which will be fixed.

The way it is supposed to work is that the setting is supposed to change depending on band and for 5 GHz, channel.

ASUS said in no case do they allow Tx power to be set to exceed FCC limits.

Following up on this. I heard back from ASUS. They say this setting is a bug, which will be fixed.

The way it is supposed to work is that the setting is supposed to change depending on band and for 5 GHz, channel.

ASUS said in no case do they allow Tx power to be set to exceed FCC limits.

I see a lot of code changes in 178 related to the router's power output settings - that could be it.

Don't mean to sound negative here, but ASUS maybe just lost a sale. This is not good for EU customers at all, unless ASUS allow the use of DFS channels 5.240GHz - 5.7GHz. Are these channels supported by this router?

The power output on the standard 5GHz band (in the EU) is just not powerful enough to go through more than one wall and be able to maintain a good signal level, and therefore a good throughput.

I just don't understand the hysteria over power outputs, as the law simply says that the manufacturer must not set a default power level higher than what is permissible in the country the equipment is being sold in. It is not illegal for me, the customer to circumvent those limits if I choose too.

Has anyone ever been taken to court and convicted for operating a home WiFi device at 250mW?

Don't mean to sound negative here, but ASUS maybe just lost a sale. This is not good for EU customers at all, unless ASUS allow the use of DFS channels 5.240GHz - 5.7GHz. Are these channels supported by this router?

I am checking with ASUS. But consumer APs and routers typically don't support DFS channels due to the added complexity required.

Has anyone ever been taken to court and convicted for operating a home WiFi device at 250mW?
Probably not. But cranking up output power often doesn't help solve wireless connectivity issues unless STAs can also increase power.

I purchased this device, based on the review here, and it arrived yesterday. I got it switched on, and found that it will not see my 5GHz network.

I have started playing with it again, and have found that it will only connect to the old, lower power 5GHz channels. I had the simular problems with my old D-Link DAP-1522 (it did not even support channels 149+), and upgraded to the Asus specifically so that I could use the higher powered 5GHz channels, which are stated as supported in the review. I'm using the latest firmware, 1.0.1.6d.

Thanks in advance.
My Dlink DAP1522 units support up to channel 165. I have eight of them and they all can use up to channel 165.

I was looking at the EA-N66 today since BestBuy has it on sale for $90. I'm thinking about switching out my last two DAP1522 units used as APs. And using the EA-N66 for one Ap and my RT-N56u router as well. Between both of these they can replace the five DAP1522 units I used to use in AP mode.

Hi aaronwt,

This problem only occurs for users in the EU, if your in the US or Canada, then your hardware will not be castrated like the EU versions.

What I would like, is the ability to set this up for myself, as it's only a firmware setting that is enforcing these restrictions on me.

:eek:I completely missed your location being in Denmark.

5gz

Hi, I just wondering if you have suceeded to solve your 5gz problem.
I bought rt n66u device about month ago and have same problem. I located in Ltu, therefore rather close.
Merkin in his subforum proposed some solution to change nvram settings and to have 5gz channel range like in USA.
I do wonder if it works.