What's new

Beta Asus GT-AX6000 beta firmware version 9.0.0.6_102_33874 (2024/02/23)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tried a different browser on a different computer, still same.
It would most certainly be great if the client list always showed current information at any given time. Even checking every which way possible sometimes adds up wrong.

Let's put it on our "wish list."

Test with reducing the Lease Time in DHCP server settings to 30-60min for example and see if Client List starts working more adequate.

I won’t bore you with the blow-by-blow details, but I can say that after 2.5 hours of testing my AX88U-PRO running FW version 3.0.0.6.102_33308 (not the same as OP, but similar), I observed several DHCP assignment and lease expiration anomalies.

DISCLAIMER: My testing is not conclusive. Without significantly more time, I can’t know if my observations are FW bugs or anomalies caused by a ‘dirty update’ last time. Your milage may vary.

Nonetheless, I can make the following observations:
  1. Even though a device shows in the “Network Map”, if that device (an older inkjet printer) is sleeping while the router reboots, the System Log - DHCP leases screen does not show it until the device is rebooted.
  2. System Log - DHCP leases screen may continue to show devices well after they have been disconnected and after several DHCP lease cycles.
  3. The DHCP server renews leases before they expired.
Although not conclusive, it is reasonable to suspect that Asus has more FW work to do, especially the DHCP server when multiple Guest Network Pro VLANs are using DHCP assignments.

For those that want to see the blow-by-blow tests....
Code:
03-19-2024

Router to Printer Comms: Ethernet through L2 switch with 802.1Q active on other than printer port (printer is on primary subnet).
Printer bound to IP XXX.XXX.XX.5
LAN>DHCP Server
    Domain: Workgroup
    IP Pool Starting = XXX.XXX.XX.100
    IP pool Ending = XXX.XXX.XX.254
    Lease time (sec): 604800 (7 days)

Change sleep mode on printer from 15 to 5 minutes.
Change DHCP Lease Time to 360 (6 minutes) and Apply
Check System Log - DHCP leases. Printer not there.
Network map shows Printer online
Observe System Log - DHCP leases
    Strange. Only devices that are not sleeping show lease times within the 6 min range. All other (sleeping) devices show much longer DHCP lease times. And, many more devices showing  on the System Log - DHCP lease screen that are not connected.
Reboot Printer
Check System Log - DHCP leases => Still no Printer DHCP Lease
Change Printer from Static IP to Automatic.
    Now, printer shows in DHCP Leases screen with correct MAC-bound IP
    Allowed lease time to expire => renewed, even though printer should be in sleep mode
    Observed several lease time countdowns. Printer never reached 0, but renewed before lease expired.

Change Printer sleep mode to 10 minutes.
    Printer renews lease prior to expiring. ALL other devices doing the same thing: never go to Expires = 0. All renew before 0 seconds. When renewed, all non-sleep mode devices go back to 6 min DHCP lease time. All sleeping devices have very long lease times and were not renewed when I changed the DHCP lease time from 604800 to 360 sec.

Change  DHCP Lease Time to 86400 (24 hrs) and Apply
    Device expiration times are consistant with change.
    Sleeping devices still show very long Expires times but some (not all) did renew to 24 hrs.
    Still showing devices in DHCP lease table that are not connected.
        Connected (turned on) one device. DHCP lease for this device refreshed immediately

Turn off Guest Network Pro > VLAN 53 (2.4Ghz WiFi only).
    Now, check to see if these devices vanish from DHCP leases list => ALL VLAN devices vanished
    NOTE: Still one ethernet connected device (sleeping PC) still showing very long Expires time

Turn ON Guest Network Pro > VLAN 53 (2.4Ghz WiFi only).
    Now, check to see if devices return to DHCP leases list => ALL returned, even devices not connected.

REBOOT Router.
    Now, DHCP lease table only shows devices that are connected with proper Expires time.
    Printer is not showing.
        Tap on Printer scereen. Still no DHCP for Printer. But Printer shows in Network Map.
        Turn printer OFF then ON. Now printer shows in DHCP lease table

Change DHCP Lease Time to 300 (5 minutes) and Apply.
    Only online devices refreshed DHCP Expires times. Both sleeping devices did not renew lease time.

Change  DHCP Lease Time to 86400 (24 hrs) and Apply
    Sleeping devices did not renew lease times but did resume Expires time from before this change.

Last edited:
Normal. The lease time has a half life. If your lease renews every 6 hours expect a 3 hour renewal with your clients, providing everything is working correctly.
Hmmmmm....
Didn't know that. Tks.

It would most certainly be great if the client list always showed current information at any given time. Even checking every which way possible sometimes adds up wrong.

The accuracy of the client list has been problematic for many years. The list eventually stops working entirely on my RT-AC86U running 386.12_4. It appears that the list is delayed on my GT-AX6000 running 388.6, so some improvement appears to have been made.

The problem is it won't show new clients either. The list seems fixed.

Let me fix that: "The list seems fixed broken."

It's all good, but something like that should be right or not shown at all, IMO.
Fixed or broken, it just won't change. Not a big deal. It is just weird there is no BIOS update for 9 months.

AX88U Pro has 2 more releases since last June. That model MSRP is lower with less features (less USB and no game LED light).

AX88U Pro has 2 more releases since last June. That model MSRP is lower with less features (less USB and no game LED light).
The GT was lower-priced when I'd decided to get one of the two last summer, $230 vs. $260.

I don't recall just when, but the RT got a running change to its switching component (if memory serves), and that may account for at least one of the FW releases - if not both, since the latest for the GT. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Evidently the re-arranged circuit board (and any other incidental component changes) has allowed the RT to closely-enough match the excellent performance of the GT I (still) happily bought.

so far this firmware seems to be stable...at least for me

A small niggle I have faced is when I turn on the screen of my iPhone, it is on 5G network and quickly connects to wifi. It doesn't remain connected to GT-AX6000's wifi continuously.

But at home, it remains connected to my GT-AX11000 Pro continuously.

4. Aura RGB tab is not working. (Network Map -> System Status - Aura RGB)
Work with my GT-AX6000

1711800276554.png

A small niggle I have faced is when I turn on the screen of my iPhone, it is on 5G network and quickly connects to wifi. It doesn't remain connected to GT-AX6000's wifi continuously.

But at home, it remains connected to my GT-AX11000 Pro continuously.
Don't you think that switching between WIFI and GSM depends on the phone?

interesting. My settings, and no problems with my devices
1711897882962.png

I also have device in IoT VLAN and no problems
1111.png

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!