What's new

Asus Lyra Connection (slower speed)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Salles

Regular Contributor
I have a RT-AC86U with ASUS Merlin Firmware, version 384.15 working as a AiMesh router (with attached harddrive, entware a couple of scripts etc).
I used to have a RT-AC66U_B1 (Asus Merlin 384.13) connected as a AiMesh Node, but after reading up on dedicated wifi backhaul when using a dual band AiMesh Router with a tri-band AiMesh Node, I decided to switch my AiMesh Node to Asus Lyra 2200 MAP-AC2200 (Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_46249, i.e. the latest).

So today I added the Asus Lyra as an AiMesh Node (RT-AC66U_B1 is now offline), but I do sense that the speed is somewhat slower and the connection is somewhat shakier, e.g.. my phone has dropped a couple of times when connected to the ASUS Lyra AiMesh Node.

When looking in the WebUI it looks like my ASUS Lyra is somewhat connected to the AiMesh Router via the 2.4 GHz band, which seems really strange. ASUS Lyra should be connecting to the AiMesh router via one of its 5 Ghz bands.
The RT-AC66U_B1 did connect to the 5 GHz band, before I removed it.
See attached pictures.

When doing speed test at Bredbandskollen.se I receive the following results with Asus Lyra:
DL:70-85 Mbit/s
UL:40-50 Mbit/s

For comparizon with RT-AC66U_B1 I usually get around:
DL:110-130 Mbit/s
UL:60-80 Mbit/s

Since the Asus Lyra has the latest firmware, there is no upgrade to perform that could fix this.

After attaching the pictures, I did test to downgrade the firmware of the Asus Lyra to 3.0.0.4.384.46054. In the WebUI, the Lyra then received one bar of a 5 GHz connection to the AiMesh Router. I find that weird though, because when placing my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) and testing the signal strength, where the Asus Lyra is placed I get around -65 to -68 dBm. I would guess the Asus Lyra has better wifi antennas than my phone (but who knows), and would therefore receive a better connection than one bar. Unfortunately AiMesh does not let one see the speed of the added AiMesh Node.

Does anyone have any suggestion of how to get the Asus Lyra to work better with wifi backhaul? Ethernet backhaul is unfortunately not an option.

Attachments

• Asus Lyra.jpg
    Asus Lyra.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 224
  • RT-AC66U_B1.jpg
    RT-AC66U_B1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 219

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!