What's new

ASUS RP-AC56 1200mbit extender completely not working in AP mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Found your thread today, have had a lot of problems getting it to run but fixed mine today. rt-ac66U with RP-ac56 running as AP (wired to router), worked around the wrong country code causing connection problem on my ibook, by giving my ibook a fixed IP? Also setting channels to fixed numbers solved disconnecting connecting problems for me. Havent tried to get the roaming assist to work.

I'm also having the same issue here... I ran a second wire thinking my first one was probably faulty but still get nothing working great. As others mentioned, it works just great in Extender mode but then would be much better en AP mode but looks like that mode is broken very badly...

Any update on the ticket with ASUS?

Last edited:
Any update on the ticket with ASUS?

Still getting the runaround. I've provided my configs weeks ago, then they ask for them again and start asking the same questions. They had me apply an unrelated update to my *router*, then redo the config manually and try again -- of course, same result. I'm trying to find a way to go over their head and complain at a high level. Weird thing is there've been no updates to the Extender's firmware since a minor one when it first came out, which is very unusual, as if they've abandoned the model somehow -- we know for damn sure it's not anywhere near perfect, so surely there would have been some updates in all this time.

Anyway ...

JB

Very unfortunate for an hundred bucks device... I never had any issue with any ASUS Networking product before which make me frown right now...

There was an update in May, which I immediately installed on the unboxing when I bought the RP-AC56 in July but then as others mentioned, it looks like it doesn't change anything...

I think I'll open a support ticket too. Maybe if we are a few people opening ticket for the same thing, that will make them move.... This is IMHO a firmware issue... Most of their router are now running 380 branch of ASUS WRT, the rp-ac56 is still stuck to the 378 branch.

Well, for now I'm back to the Extender mode which works fine but then I can't set the SSID the same as my main router (asus rt-ac66u) which get me to 4 SSID and rooming not working since they are considered as 2 different network.

I'll get back after I will have open an issue with Asus too and had some answer to it.

Ok, I figured I had 1hour today to test both my units out with the latest firmware (the one released in may or was it june), latest on their support site. Same issue still... Unbelievable Asus cannot make these units work in AP-mode.
I will reply back to the VIP support email where I have been waiting since December 2015 for a fix. It for sure is a waste of money to buy these if trying to make them run in AP mode. No clients can basically connect, and if they manage, they drop quite fast.

Well, I also have a ticket open in VIP Support, no answer since august 9. Last reply was that they had escalated the ticket to higher level and nothing new since. Furthermore, the VIP support website is currently down...

Never had any trouble with Asus product before, I'm kind of disappointed right now...

The issue is clearly in firmware, but then they doesn't seems to be very open to release an update that fix everything...

Same problem here.
Installed in AP Mode (ethernet connection to router) is a disaster.
Clients cant connect or are minutes without getting an IP..

Gets a little better when using client with static IP, but not always......

FIrmware upgrade needed URGENT......

Hi

I really want an access point to give better coverage in my conservatory and garden and have an asus Rt ac68u as my router but am put off by the horror stories on this thread

Can I ask a question of those with the problem (especially those with RP ac68u) ? Can I check that you set roaming assistant on both router and access point on both 2.4 and 5ghz networks ie set it a minimum of 4 times with 1 AP, 6 times with 2 APs etc. and you have set to the same value eg 70

Hope I don't offend anyone who's having these really frustrating problems, just haven't noticed anyone clarifying that they had done this

I may just order one from Amazon with easy return option to try myself - also does anyone successfully use an RT ac68u as an access point instead with roaming assistant and same ssid as there's no real difference in price, though I like the RP AC 68u form factor

I guess the alternative could be something like some Ubiquiti unifi products (ie turn of router wifi and install 2 or more APs) - have had good success with ubiquiti for better campsite connectivity in our motorhome/RV.

Thanks

Tony

Last edited:
Can I ask a question of those with the problem (especially those with RP ac68u) ? Can I check that you set roaming assistant on both router and access point on both 2.4 and 5ghz networks ie set it a minimum of 4 times with 1 AP, 6 times with 2 APs etc. and you have set to the same value eg 70
Well this isn't the issue.

We are actually unable to run it in access point at all. It crash, stop working randomly of just completely dropping the connexion. So the roaming assistant is still out of reach but you're right on that setting thought.

As far as I know, the RP-AC68 is a better choice, in my case its just the price that turned me to the RP-AC56 which is an hundred bucks less expensive but then, well, yeah, I guess we got what we paid for, an expensive paper weight. I'm currently using it in Repeater mode, which isn't the best scenario since I need to switch network manually because of the 2 differents ssid...

Its a shame for ASUS to sell an unreliable product like the RP-AC56, that's my first bad experience with Asus networking products, better be the last...

Well this isn't the issue.

We are actually unable to run it in access point at all. It crash, stop working randomly of just completely dropping the connexion. So the roaming assistant is still out of reach but you're right on that setting thought.

As far as I know, the RP-AC68 is a better choice, in my case its just the price that turned me to the RP-AC56 which is an hundred bucks less expensive but then, well, yeah, I guess we got what we paid for, an expensive paper weight. I'm currently using it in Repeater mode, which isn't the best scenario since I need to switch network manually because of the 2 differents ssid...

Its a shame for ASUS to sell an unreliable product like the RP-AC56, that's my first bad experience with Asus networking products, better be the last...

OK thanks for clarifying and sorry to hear that. I've experimented with moving my router to the spot where I was thinking of putting an RP-AC68U but it didn't really improve things in the weak areas, so then started to look at Ubiquiti unifi access points which would be more flexible on placements options, but the AC versions don't seem to be problem free from some forum discussions either. So am now thinking of getting a basic Asus Rp-N12 as a stopgap to plug in my conservatory as they're only £17 and is at a "disposable" price but is compatible with ASUS roaming assistant on my main router. The Ac52 seems to work in access point mode from some earlier posts in this thread but is over £40 in the UK and appears to be constrained by 100 LAN so am not sure I would see much benefit over the more basic N12 in access point mode due to LAN speed.

Hope the problems with the AC56 do get resolved and please post an update if they do - does anyone know if the new AC66 also has this problem ?

Last edited:
does anyone know if the new AC66 also has this problem ?
I can't say. This product seems to not be available around here... Seems to be restrict to some countries only. But then I'm not sure I would be willing to take a chance on it.

I have the RP-AC68 and I have the exact same problems with it. Asus support suggested to put older firmware in it (which I haven't tried yet).
Very disappointing...:(

That's disappointing for a 200$ bucks device... Let us know if you try the firmware downgrade...

As for me, no news from ASUS support since August 9th, they gone completely silence since...

I've sent it back. I'm considering an R7000 instead
Wish I could do that too. I've found the culprit when it was too late to return it... Now I guess I just need to *uck it up and go buy a Ubiquiti access point that will kick the hell out of that poor device...

Sorry to hear things still arent sorted and seems to be an issue with most recent Asus Repeaters in AP mode. I went with the basic option of an Asus RP N12 for £17 based on the issues in this thread - which is working OK - turns out it's quite a weak signal even in Access Point mode which is actually good as I have it out in the Conservatory, so devices will only connect to it in the Conservatory and outside in the garden. I started with setting the roaming level lower than on the main AC68U router but have now got them both at 70, and once I set it to N only my iPhone settled down as before that it would drop wi-fi and go to the mobile network and back again (other devices seemed fine). RP-AC68U has actually been on offer on amazon in the UK at £119, but based on problems here will hold on and probably look at some Unifi AP's in the longer term

I've sent the unit back for a refund, but something went wrong and they've (Alternate) sent me a replacement unit.
Just for the sake of it I thought I'd give it a try. This one actually seems to work without problems. So, that's that then....o_O

Weird but good for you!

As for me, I decided to try something this week-end. I couldn't believe that the AP mode was broken since the day this device got released so I decide to downgrade the firmware to the very first version available when the unit got on sale for the first time. And guess what, It's now working flawless, proving that the firmware is mostly the issue here. The connection is stable and I didn't loose the internet connection since I've downgrade it... For reference, I flashed back to the version 3.0.0.4.378.6655. Straight out of the box, my device was already running a newer frimware, version 3.0.0.4.378.6717.

I had hesitation to do this since most of the time firmware updates brings security fixes but after reviewing the changelog of the following versions, nothing really important was fixed and they most likely break stuff instead of fixing anything with those so going back to first version was a no-brainer things to try.

Hope it'll help people having issue here. I'll post an update in a week to let you know if everything still going strong or if it was just a relapse of the device...

Weird but good for you!

As for me, I decided to try something this week-end. I couldn't believe that the AP mode was broken since the day this device got released so I decide to downgrade the firmware to the very first version available when the unit got on sale for the first time. And guess what, It's now working flawless, proving that the firmware is mostly the issue here. The connection is stable and I didn't loose the internet connection since I've downgrade it... For reference, I flashed back to the version 3.0.0.4.378.6655. Straight out of the box, my device was already running a newer frimware, version 3.0.0.4.378.6717.

I had hesitation to do this since most of the time firmware updates brings security fixes but after reviewing the changelog of the following versions, nothing really important was fixed and they most likely break stuff instead of fixing anything with those so going back to first version was a no-brainer things to try.

Hope it'll help people having issue here. I'll post an update in a week to let you know if everything still going strong or if it was just a relapse of the device...

Interestingly I've had the same problem.

I tried like you (I'm UK based) to re-flash to the oldest firmware. Still no good. I've tried all firmwares.

No good.

In fact even in extender mode, it drops out and "hangs". So there's clearly something wrong with it. Another thing I noticed is that it won't update firmware from the UI, you have to manually upload to it - another hint that the firmware or the hardware is not working properly.

It's a shame as it's a (should be) good device. My Asus router is flawless - in fact it is one of the best non commercial/profressional routers I have used.

I'm currently on the phone to Asus... let's see what happens.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!