What's new

Asus RT-87U constantly looses internet connectivity with 380.67 and later

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jadog

Regular Contributor
With each Asuswrt-Merlin update since around 380.67, I have had to consistently reboot my Asus RT-87U router - usually once a day when I attempt to access the internet and there is no connection. The network itself still works, just the internet shows "No connectivity". I have continued to update to each subsequent released version until arriving at the latest - 380.68_4. With the .68 versions, I found that I would loose connectivity much more frequently, and have to reboot my router as often as a dozen times per day. Each time I have updated, I have chose to "Reset to Factory" settings and have enabled nothing (No Trend, No AI stuff, No VPNs, etc). Since my job requires internet, this makes it rather difficult, so I rolled back to version 380.64_2. I can now go for at least a few days without rebooting. Does anybody else have this same problem? Or is it just the model of router I have and I should accept it?

Would you mind posting the Syslog, or at least the relevant bits when WAN connects/disconnects?
This way we may help you nail down the problem.

With each Asuswrt-Merlin update since around 380.67, I have had to consistently reboot my Asus RT-87U router - usually once a day when I attempt to access the internet and there is no connection. The network itself still works, just the internet shows "No connectivity". I have continued to update to each subsequent released version until arriving at the latest - 380.68_4. With the .68 versions, I found that I would loose connectivity much more frequently, and have to reboot my router as often as a dozen times per day. Each time I have updated, I have chose to "Reset to Factory" settings and have enabled nothing (No Trend, No AI stuff, No VPNs, etc). Since my job requires internet, this makes it rather difficult, so I rolled back to version 380.64_2. I can now go for at least a few days without rebooting. Does anybody else have this same problem? Or is it just the model of router I have and I should accept it?
What connection type? Cable, ADSL? What make and model of modem?

I use my 87U with a cable modem (Virgin SuperHub 3) in bridge mode, and I can confirm the 87U works fine in that configuration.

Are you sure you have a CAT 5e or CAT 6 type cable between the router and the ISP modem?

When did you last time turn off the router? It's a good practice to do a factory reset AND turn off the router (for a few minutes) to reset all the chips as well... :rolleyes:

I had some stability problems in the past but with the 6x firmware versions things work fine - but I am not on the latest one (see footer).