What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 issues and impressions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When you are buying ASUS Routers, you are unknowingly accepting their secret EULA of beta testing their costliest hardware for them.

I did the same last year when I purchased RT-AC68U within a month of release.
Now that it has settled down after numerous firmware updates, I am unwilling to upgrade to newer model fearing I would have to go through the same horrors all over again. :)

Some international consumer protection agency must come forward and punish such companies which release unfinished products to the market. Clearly RT-AC3200 is not working as advertised at launch.

When you are buying ASUS Routers, you are unknowingly accepting their secret EULA of beta testing their costliest hardware for them.

I did the same last year when I purchased RT-AC68U within a month of release.
Now that it has settled down after numerous firmware updates, I am unwilling to upgrade to newer model fearing I would have to go through the same horrors all over again. :)

Some international consumer protection agency must come forward and punish such companies which release unfinished products to the market. Clearly RT-AC3200 is not working as advertised at launch.

Yeah, I miss the days where things shipped out without expecting it to be half baked. Remember nintendo games? They didn't have updates. They were tested enough to work. Cutting edge shouldn't automatically be considered the norm to just throw it out there. At some point it hurts the brands reputation.

We are stuck in a BETA ideal and in the end it is really going to mess things up. Can't wait until my car doesn't start cause it needs a firmware update.

Anyway, I didn't see the firmware posted on any sites. I was wanting to download it for when it comes in tomorrow.

giving this bad boy a go currently, just got back from frys with it. Its intention is to replace a ac68 that's been acting a little wonky as of late. I use quite a few wifi devices in the house, phone and tablet might be only ac device I have currently but otherwise have a decent mix of 5 and 2.4 ghz devices

lets see how this goes...

For those lucky enough to live next to FRYS on the west coast, can the RT-AC3200 be stood up like my AC66U? (see my sig. below) or is it strictly a lay down router? The AC66U has a handle that pulls out allowing her to stand.

Strictly lay down. The front has a usb 3.0 port on the front(what would be bottom if standing up) and a led and wifi button as well

Great

This is great that more people are getting this now. I can't wait to see tips and tricks and how this performs for each person.

Strictly lay down. The front has a usb 3.0 port on the front(what would be bottom if standing up) and a led and wifi button as well

Thank you, ssahnan. Send us a pic of that bad boy! :)

it doesn't show up for me at frys as well but it was there, I had a feeling it would be when someone else mentioned they had it from there already as well. Also, I mentioned few posts ago, I've been able to get previous asus routers from there early as well before they showed up mainstream

I wanted to drop in and say that I pre-ordered an RT-AC3200 and I received it yesterday.

So far so good, I haven't noticed any major issues with it, but I obviously haven't had a lot of time with it either. I do run a fair bit of things off of my home network as I have a computer running Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter with about 12TB of storage which is a backup location for computers in the house, along with a Plex server, TeamSpeak server, and Minecraft server, and everything seems to be rolling along smoothly.

I am currently using the SmartConnect that automatically puts devices on the appropriate band to maximize bandwidth, and so far it seems to work great. Moving between bands seems to be seamless, although I haven't had much testing with it. So far, I am happy with the purchase.

For those asking earlier, it definitely is wall mountable, it has 2 mounting holes in the back that you can slide screw heads into.

If anyone has specific questions, let me know and I will try to answer them for you.

For those asking earlier, it definitely is wall mountable, it has 2 mounting holes in the back that you can slide screw heads into....

Thank you AzureShadow, nice review. :cool:

I was asking about *standing up* like my AC66U pic in Sig. below. Thanks for letting me know wall-mount is next best option. :)

If anyone has specific questions, let me know and I will try to answer them for you.

Anyone with the RT-AC3200 can answer this one, actually:

Did you bother to load the CD it came with? Or did you just plug it in, went to
192.168.1.1, started Smart Connect, Upgraded Firmware when asked and away you went.... never using the CD?

nloks7.jpg

Last edited:
Can Tomato or DD-WRT be installed in this router?

Also, just found out reading this thread about the ASUS Merlin custom firmware, how good is it compared to Tomato, DD-WRT?

Sorry if these are noob questions, Im coming from a D-Link DGL-4500 (yeah the one with the screen lol)and Im ready to get the best as of today. Want to make sure I make the right decision.

Fellow Crazy Canuckistanians.... I am officially calling you ooout! ;)

Let us know where and when you bought the RT-AC3200. I can't find her anywhere. :confused:

Link would be nice too, I'm oot!

:D

Last edited:
Would it be correct to assume this device is based on the XStream block diagram like the one in the Netgear R8000 review?

Would love to see some pictures of the board design!

Can't find anyone selling this in the UK yet :(

Last edited:
I got mine today, and since it looks like I need to provide proof, I've attached pictures. It's smple to order, Newegg has them with $0.99 3 day shipping. Not sure why it's so hard for anyone to get these.

Anyway, I'm having the same kind of disconnecting issue with my Galaxy S5. Makes me think that the Smart Connect feature does just that, connects/disconnects devices when it needs to in an attempt to balance network load? Just throwing that out there. Who knows. My old AC-87U never had this issue.

Attachments

• 20150129_194015.jpg
    20150129_194015.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 799
  • 20150129_194026.jpg
    20150129_194026.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 540
Anyway, I'm having the same kind of disconnecting issue with my Galaxy S5. Makes me think that the Smart Connect feature does just that, connects/disconnects devices when it needs to in an attempt to balance network load? Just throwing that out there. Who knows. My old AC-87U never had this issue.

How do you guys notice these *disconnects*? You are playing a Youtube clip on your smartphone and it suddenly stops.... then starts up again, assuming it went to another band, midstream?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!