What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 issues and impressions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No sorry I don't. I did have an AC68U and it seemed to have slightly better range than the 3200. It is pretty early firmware to tell for sure though and I haven't gave it a proper test like smallnetbuilder would. I just have a wifi analyzer app that shows the db and percent reception. It seems to be a little lower than my AC68 while sitting in my living room 60ft away or so from router.

were you using standard fw or Merlin (or something else) on the AC68U?

I am looking to get the ac3200 but would like to know the maximum number of manually assigned IP addresses allowed? Can someone confirm this for me? On page 65 of the Manual it shows a screen shot of the UI that says the limit is 64 (I can live with that) but on page 66 the manual says the limit for Manually assigned IP address is 32. What is it, 32 or 64?
Look in the next demo:
http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080/APP_Installation.asp

WAN>Virtual Server/Port Forwarding.
You can assign only 32 ports. I don't know about IPs. Find yourself and post here. Do not hit the Save button, because it will reset that port forwarding list and you'll need to assign them from the beginning.
I saw your post from here:
http://pcdiy.asus.com/2014/06/rt-ac3200-ultimate-802-11ac-6x6-router-computex-2014/

We will have the review for rt-ac3200 this week? Thanks!

Last edited:
one problem with smart connect is the roaming capability of the client. If you have multiple APs with same name the client would automatically pick the best one signal wise not bandwidth wise while smart connect was designed to distribute clients to prevent bandwidth sharing as much as possible.

AC3200 vs RT-AC87U

I am a longtime ASUS RT-N56U owner looking to upgrade to a new router. I currently have about 20 devices on my network. I have a combo of powerline, N,AC and Ethernet clients.

I will be adding two TVs to my network in the next month using Roku or Amazon Fire via wireless.

Which of the two routers is the best choice? I believe the AC3200 is likely the best choice but would like feedback.

I don't care about the firmware bugs - I went through that with the N56U. Asus is the best as far as I am concerned about supporting firmware.

The only other option I am considering is the D-Link DIR-890L/R.

Which of the two routers is the best choice? I believe the AC3200 is likely the best choice but would like feedback.

I am just a consumer/hobbyist so please take this with a grain of salt... I mostly based my decision on the AC3200 from the MU-MIMO vx XStream article. Moving beyond the difference in that tech, the major point for me was this band steering. Before I had the "MyName 2.4" and "MyName 5.0" SSIDs and to be honest I got tired of setting devices to specific bands (I tinker, a lot) and answering questions from the family about where to connect.

So far the 3200 has been able to assign my devices correctly.

Anyone with the RT-AC3200 can answer this one, actually:

Did you bother to load the CD it came with? Or did you just plug it in, went to
192.168.1.1, started Smart Connect, Upgraded Firmware when asked and away you went.... never using the CD?
Never used the CD and never do really. Just plugged in, followed direction, downloaded updates and went from there.

Unfortunately the consumer is the weakest link. Stop! Stop!Stop! Jumping on these new routers until they get them sorted.
If we continue to do so we only have ourselves to blame and we don't really need a consumer protection agency.

Asus unlike some other brands I've dealt with, keep up with firmware updates pretty frequently.
Bigger Kudos to the Open Source geniuses, that make things that much more tolerable. Thanks! (enough said).:)
Your position there is rather dangerous. Companies have an obligation to inform customers of what they are purchasing. Governments have an obligation to protect people from companies who offer one thing, yet deliver another. If you are selling oranges as apples, sure we can poke fun at the consumer. Now put those products into a container so the consumer can not see what is inside, and I think they have a right to be pissed when they get home.

No need for big government warnings on the boxes, but if you intend to release a pre release product then label it as such (like games do). Otherwise, make it work.

Merlin,

I was running OpenVPN on the RT-N66U without a problem. It was based on UDP TUN, with TLS keys, Extra HMAC. I copied the setup to the RT-AC3200.

Now, when the clients try to connect, I see this message in the syslog:

TLS Error: Auth Username/Password was not provided by peer
TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

When I turn Extra HMAC off (server and client), then I see this message in the syslog:

TLS Error: Auth Username/Password was not provided by peer
TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

So, in either setup, I see the same results. It seems the OpenVPN server in the RT-AC3200 is looking for a username/password to authenticate the client a opposed to using the TLS keys.

The RT-AC3200 has a entry named Username / Password Auth. Only but I have that turned off (No).

Am I missing something, or are we looking at a problem with the RT-AC3200 implementation of the OpenVPN Server code?

Thanks,
MM

Am I missing something, or are we looking at a problem with the RT-AC3200 implementation of the OpenVPN Server code?

No idea, I don't use the stock firmware. No idea if username/password authentication can be disabled on the stock FW.

Asus' sOpenVPN code is slightly different from mine, however it's identical across all their supported models.

Merlin,

Your firmware makes all these ASUS routers a much better product. I'm sure many of us like these routers in part due to your efforts to improve the firmware. And many of us with the RT-AC3200 will be standing by for your version of the firmware.

Thanks for all you do improve them.

MM

I am just a consumer/hobbyist so please take this with a grain of salt... I mostly based my decision on the AC3200 from the MU-MIMO vx XStream article. Moving beyond the difference in that tech, the major point for me was this band steering. Before I had the "MyName 2.4" and "MyName 5.0" SSIDs and to be honest I got tired of setting devices to specific bands (I tinker, a lot) and answering questions from the family about where to connect.

So far the 3200 has been able to assign my devices correctly.

Never used the CD and never do really. Just plugged in, followed direction, downloaded updates and went from there.

Your position there is rather dangerous. Companies have an obligation to inform customers of what they are purchasing. Governments have an obligation to protect people from companies who offer one thing, yet deliver another. If you are selling oranges as apples, sure we can poke fun at the consumer. Now put those products into a container so the consumer can not see what is inside, and I think they have a right to be pissed when they get home.

No need for big government warnings on the boxes, but if you intend to release a pre release product then label it as such (like games do). Otherwise, make it work.

Thanks for the reply. I will go with AC3200 - I like the convenience as you mentioned. The worst that happens is that Asus doesnt get the load balancing right and I operate the radios independently with separate ID's. The new 4X4 adapters will likely be expensive and I don't want to pay that price and it will likely be years before the 4X4 are built into phones and laptops - if ever. Have to wait until next paycheck (one week) but I will post the results.

Look in the next demo:
http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080/APP_Installation.asp

WAN>Virtual Server/Port Forwarding.
You can assign only 32 ports. I don't know about IPs. Find yourself and post here. Do not hit the Save button, because it will reset that port forwarding list and you'll need to assign them from the beginning.
I saw your post from here:
http://pcdiy.asus.com/2014/06/rt-ac3200-ultimate-802-11ac-6x6-router-computex-2014/

We will have the review for rt-ac3200 this week? Thanks!

I was able to enter 64 manually assigned IP addresses in the demo UI which assuming the firmware on the router matches the demo UI means the user manual is incorrect. Would be nice if ASUS would confirm which one is correct (demo UI or manual) before I buy, but so far just crickets from ASUS support.

I was able to enter 64 manually assigned IP addresses in the demo UI which assuming the firmware on the router matches the demo UI means the user manual is incorrect. Would be nice if ASUS would confirm which one is correct (demo UI or manual) before I buy, but so far just crickets from ASUS support.

According to the source code the limit is 64. I believe it used to be 32, but got increased by Asus about a year or so ago. I suspect the manual might not have gotten updated.

3.0.0.4.378_3989

I was looking on the website of Asus for the RT-AC3200 but I haven't seen any firmware update. Does Asus has another firmware aside from 3.0.0.4.378_3989 w/c is the stock firmware of AC3200? Can I have the link please if there is one?

New bug that I have not experienced before on my work laptop. When I VPN using the computers Cisco Client onto our Intranet, I do stay connected fine.

The problem is, is that it seems like just enough packets get lost/disconnects happen that I cannot run anything in SQL server management Studio which queries our SQL server.

I can get around this by having a remote connection into our servers to run any SQL queries, but it is quite annoying. This is the first router that I have experienced this with. Everything hardware and software wise is the same, just different router (AC3200).

All this SQL specific information might be foreign to most, but something is definitely happening causing timeout issues. Not sure if its bands switching channels on the router for a split second and it drops the connection to the database or what.

I do have smart connect on, a feature i have been wanting so bad I refuse to turn off. I know this might be part of the solution, but was hoping ASUS was looking to fix similar issues like mine.

I was looking on the website of Asus for the RT-AC3200 but I haven't seen any firmware update. Does Asus has another firmware aside from 3.0.0.4.378_3989 w/c is the stock firmware of AC3200? Can I have the link please if there is one?

Expect a new firmware to be released sometime this week.

I don't have a complete changelog, so no real idea what was changed, beside adjustments to the Smart Connect feature.

... I am running the firmware version 3.0.0.4.378_3883, and I see no firmware update available as of now....

Well, the post above you has firmware "3.0.0.4.378_3989".

Last edited:
Wifi Intermittently Drops Out

I've had this router for a few days now. I too have been experiencing a lot of wifi drop outs. It'll last for 10-30 seconds and come back again. I'm also using the latest firmware. Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? The speed is awesome, but these drop outs are very frustrating. Also Merlin, if you decide to support this router, I will definitely keep it haha. Thanks!

Hideo

I've had this router for a few days now. I too have been experiencing a lot of wifi drop outs. It'll last for 10-30 seconds and come back again. I'm also using the latest firmware. Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? The speed is awesome, but these drop outs are very frustrating. Also Merlin, if you decide to support this router, I will definitely keep it haha. Thanks!

Hideo

A friend of mine has a netgear r8000 (same architecture) and was complaining of same dropouts. With smart-connect turned on I could see one 5 ghz radio dropping In and out with wifi analyzer. Turned off smart connect and set up 3 different ssid's and drops are gone and rock solid. Others may want to pull out their wifi analyzer and test this model.

Well, I see that. However, if I try to update the firmware under Administration-Firmware upgrade, it says "The router's current firmware is the latest version".
And I don't see any firmware showing on Asus's website neither.

Does anyone know where I can get the firmware version 3.0.0.4.378_3989?

im seeing the same older fw .3883 with no newer fw being reported...maybe it was pulled

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!