What's new

Asus RT-AC5300 and Bell HH4000, speed issue.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

canadianmoose2020

New Around Here
I have the following setup, HH4000 with Asus AC5300, CAT 8 connected between the modem and router, The HH4000 wifi access is turned off, since I read people saying that you have to disable it as a router and just be a modem.
now my question is if I run a speed test on the asus router I constantly get 400mbps up and 300mbps down, however when I run the speed test on the modem it is receiving 1.61gbps and 900 down respectively. Im on the 1.5gb fibe plan with bell,
is there a reason that my asus router cannot get the full speed the modem is getting, tried replacing the ethernet cable with no change. any help would be appreciated.

is there a reason that my asus router cannot get the full speed the modem is getting, tried replacing the ethernet cable with no change. any help would be appreciated.
Yes. The onboard speed test doesn't work properly for very fast connections. You'll have to do the speed test from a LAN client.

The RT-AC5300 only has gigabit Ethernet ports so you'll never get more than that from a speed test.

Enabling certain router features like QoS and Aiprotection will also restrict the throughput.

Bell Home Hub 4000 or also called Sagemcom Fast 5689 is actually much better hardware device than the old Asus RT-AC5300.

I don't know about range, but looking at device specs (from FCC tests, Jan 2021) it almost maxes out allowed Tx power on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands plus faster CPU, more RAM, Wi-Fi 6 and 10Gbps port (from other sources). As far as I know the same device is provided with Bell 8Gbps fiber service. Your RT-AC5300 may have better range, but it's no match for the speed capabilities. All you can get from it is 940Mbps wired (Gigabit) and about 500Mbps wireless and with light configuration without any other load (TrendMicro) or NAT acceleration incompatibilities (QoS). You have to upgrade to something like GT-AX6000 in order to match the speed or at least RT-AX86U (Pro) for a chance of aggregate traffic >Gigabit.

I don't know about range, but looking at device specs (from FCC tests, Jan 2021) it almost maxes out allowed Tx power on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands plus faster CPU, more RAM, Wi-Fi 6 and 10Gbps port (from other sources). As far as I know the same device is provided with Bell 8Gbps fiber service. Your RT-AC5300 may have better range, but it's no match for the speed capabilities. All you can get from it is 940Mbps wired (Gigabit) and about 500Mbps wireless and with light configuration without any other load (TrendMicro) or NAT acceleration incompatibilities (QoS). You have to upgrade to something like GT-AX6000 in order to match the speed or at least RT-AX86U (Pro) for a chance of aggregate traffic >Gigabit.
thanks a lot for the info !

You're welcome. As many others you accepted your ISP promotion and now you are going to spend hundreds in chasing speedtest numbers. As a result your Internet experience and normal Internet use won't change much, but you are going to make your ISP happier with higher monthly fees and hardware vendors a little richer. It's a classic screw up the customer situation and force them to make upgrades often for no good reason. Good luck.

if I run a speed test on the asus router I constantly get 400mbps up and 300mbps down, however when I run the speed test on the modem it is receiving 1.61gbps and 900 down respectively.

check your MTU sizing on the WAN port...

1488 might be good there - PPOE adds a few bits, so that can lead to packet fragmenting.

This WAN port on RT-AC5300 is up to Gigabit, @sfx2000. The hardware inside can do Gigabit wired in light configuration only with full NAT acceleration enabled. The radios can do about 500Mbps to common 2-stream AC client. For home use it's more than enough IMHO and no extra hardware expenses are really necessary. If this router is working well and has enough Wi-Fi coverage I wouldn't tough it. It's still capable enough router. I may run it in double NAT behind another firewall (the ISP device) because the last firmware is >1 year old. Otherwise no rush to replace.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!