What's new

Asus RT-AC5300 and Dual Wan load balancing configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The Load Balance setting is a little confusing.

If you are running Dual WAN then enable Load Balancing regardless of any other settings.

The settings in the Link Backup tab will actually determine how the WAN links are used.

In your case:

your Primary WAN interface would be: WAN

your Backup WAN interface would be: USB Modem

The MODE would be: Backup when all primary WANs fail

NOTE: In my case, I use both WAN and WAN/LAN as Primary since I have 3 WAN connections.

ok, then I did the correct configuration about the failover.

About NAT-DMZ, should I include all the inferfaces in the rule or just the primary wan?

ok, then I did the correct configuration about the failover.

About NAT-DMZ, should I include all the inferfaces in the rule or just the primary wan?
I would just include the Primary

Then I did the correct setting again.

I did a test turning off the primary wan and I saw that PC not reported any gap on the connection, the swap was well managed
Yes, the little ER605 is one of the best at handling failover.

Yes, the little ER605 is one of the best at handling failover.

I've some more question related the config for you:

1) I had to connect tp-Link to my Modem/Router using Wan/ PPPoE and Asus to TP-Link using Wan/Dynamic IP, because of this type connection Asus is not aware anymore of the publick IP and the in built DDNS client is not working, have you figure out a workaround ?

2) Where you able to configure the Android App TP-Link Omada and add the router to manage it from the phone?

Are you sure? Externat IP detection was implemented in firmware long time ago. At least for current models, but it was on 386 base.

Seriously?

Since is connected to TP-Link by Automatic IP, Asus will have a internal wan IP and not a public IP because it's not connecting by PPPoE.
It seem is not possible to use the PPPoE on Asus to connect to TP-Link because TP-Link is not providing any NAT- PPPoE Relay / Pass-through as Asus does.

2023-06-01_11-01-22.jpg
2023-06-01_10-59-42.jpg
2023-06-01_10-52-24.jpg
2023-06-01_10-55-00.jpg

This is a copy/paste error in Asuswrt from previous firmware versions:

1685611035860.png

Change this to External:

1685611073511.png

You don't need to play with this:

1685611848280.png

... but check if IP lease renewal works in 68 years:

1685611742043.png

:)

Last edited:
This is a copy/paste error in Asuswrt from previous firmware versions:

View attachment 50553

Change this to External:

View attachment 50554

You don't need to play with this:

View attachment 50556

... but check if IP lease renewal works in 68 years:

View attachment 50555

:)
Amazing!!!

I was not aware of that, Asus firmware is really cool more than the TP-Link one at this point.

Now the only think that I would like to address is the Android App of the TP-Link.
The problem here is that the app is requiring you to scan the QR Code on the rear of the TP-Link or insert manually the product key but none of these information are on the Hardware Device

Asus firmware is really cool more than the TP-Link one at this point.

Both devices have different purpose and are made for different markets. The little business router was recommended to you because you asked for proper dual WAN and it does it for $60. It has features interesting for business users like multi-WAN, multi-LAN, VLANs, ACLs, etc. It doesn't have Parental Controls or Gaming settings. What you see in stand-alone mode is part of what's available in Omada SDN. This router is part of Omada system and it's the smallest/cheapest compatible model. Your Asus home router (in fact router, switch and access point all in one device) has features interesting for home users, external antennas for more sense of "power", red accents to attract specific "gaming" target customers and game-like GUI to match.

The problem here is that the app

I know nothing about the Android app controlling business class router, sorry. This part you have to discover yourself.

Both devices have different purpose and are made for different markets. The little business router was recommended to you because you asked for proper dual WAN and it does it for $60. It has features interesting for business users like multi-WAN, multi-LAN, VLANs, ACLs, etc. It doesn't have Parental Controls or Gaming settings. What you see in stand-alone mode is part of what's available in Omada SDN. This router is part of Omada system and it's the smallest/cheapest compatible model. Your Asus home router (in fact router, switch and access point all in one device) has features interesting for home users, external antennas for more sense of "power", red accents to attract specific "gaming" target customers and game-like GUI to match.

I know nothing about the Android app controlling business class router, sorry. This part you have to discover yourself.

Sorry for the later of my reply.

Thanks for the support. You are right both devices are covering 2 different area of network and cannot be compared.

About the app I think I have to write to tp-link support as in the device page is showed as compatible but in the app the er605 is not list among the compatible devices, I will keep you posted

I need one more help if you can

My device are on the 192.168.2.0/24, from my Laptop I would like to access my routers:

1) 192.168.2.1
2) 192.168.0.1
3) 192.168.1.1
4) 192.168.3.1

I cannot access 192.168.3.1, I suspect some service on 192.168.3.1 need to be re enable to allow it to work.

I thought it was NAT but perhaps I'm wrong on that. Do you have any suggestion?

Regards

You have to check your Windows firewall settings and allow access to other subnets.

You have to check your Windows firewall settings and allow access to other subnets.

I found the issue.

It's because tp-link is connected to my modem by PPPoE protocol.

If I change it to static IP then I 'm able to reach the missing subnet.

Now my question is which protocol should be used?

PPPoE or Static IP?

I think PPPoE should be used just by modem to connect to service provider and not between 2 routers in cascade.

Your "modem" is obviously a "modem/router". If bridge mode (modem only) is available on it - you decide how you want to use it.

Your "modem" is obviously a "modem/router". If bridge mode (modem only) is available on it - you decide how you want to use it.
Thanks for the reply.

But I still don't know what's the correct protocol to use, PPPoE or Static IP.

With Static IP I'm able to reach the modem subnet.

With PPPoE I don't if I can have any benefit like better performance.

What do you suggest?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!