What's new

Asus RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.164

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RTN

Regular Contributor
Asus RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.

Description ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.164

httр://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U/FW_RT_AC66U_3004164.zip

File Size 21,78 (MBytes) 2012.07.23 update

Fix bugs:
  • 1. UI related bugs
  • 2. Network map cannot show device name.
  • 3. QoS control for wired connected devices.
  • 4. Special character name/password issue in VPN server.
  • 5. Download master installing issue in AP mode.
  • 6. PPPoE compatibility issue.
  • 7. L2TP compatibility issue.
  • 8. Sonos audio system and network map compatibility issue.
    Special thanks to Merlin for his contribution.
  • 9. IPv6 6in4 memory leak
  • 10. IPTV multicast related issues
  • 11. FTP/Samba account change issue
Modified:
  • 1. Temporarily removed enable AiCloud option, as the service will
    officially launch late August.
  • 2. Enable cross night setting in wireless radio on/off setting page.
  • 3. Adjust WDS connection rule
  • 4. Enable Beceem Wimax support.
  • 5. Change default wireless security to WPA-AES in QIS.
  • 6. Add Spanish language.
  • 7. Modify VPN server UI.
  • 8. HTTPS authentication
  • 9. Tune IPv6 connection for ComCast
  • 10. Download master BT cache size changed to 256KB
  • 11. Download master supports crosse night schedule setting
  • 12. Download master shows amulle server connection status
httр://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTAC66U/#download

GPL sources: httр://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U/GPL_RT_AC66U_3004164.zip

FW_RT_AC66U_3004.1.40 | UT_RT_AC66U_4260 | http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/rt-ac66u/

New Asus RT-AC66U router (5G 802.11ac) | http://www.asus.com/News/rZcy4jXiQPQ5F8YL/

Last edited:
This is for the RT-AC66U, not the RT-N66U.

The RT-AC66U does have 64 K nvram.

Merlin's 162 version of his AsusWRT is 64k nvram enabled. It works well aside from the bug in Asus' own 162 version. (wireless radio will not re-enable if disabled according to schedule created by user).

The broken wireless QoS (wired devices are also present in my setup) is a real deal killer with this firmware. I have no clue how official firmware managed to be tested and released in this condition.

Lack of TX power adjustments is also puzzling unless the issue is related to the AC hardware. First level tech support at Asus appears to be clueless about this situation.

Unless you have ac wireless network adapters, the RT-N66U seems to be the better device at the moment.

Last edited:
I have a feeling both are related to the AC hardware. They just assumed since it works on the N66U, it would work on the AC66U.

I have mine coming on Thursday. While I'm not thrilled that there is no TX power on this right now, neither that or QOS affects me much at the moment. I tried cranking up the TX power on the N66U and for me, it didn't make much difference.

That's not to say they don't need to get this sorted out. They definitely do. What's sad is, they just released a new firmware. I could see these things on the initial release, but ya think they would have caught it, for the update.

I'll agree, the N66U is probably the better device right now, but I expect the bugs to be ironed out on the AC66U and going forward, for me, the AC66U makes the most sense, since I tend to stick with my router for a while(coming from a now 3 yr old Netgear WNDR3700).

QOS affects me much at the moment

Broken wireless QoS is killing my VoIP services. Very annoying. I may put my old RT-N66U back for now.

I could see these things on the initial release, but ya think they would have caught it, for the update.

Well, especially considering this is an official firmware release that states wired QoS control is available . . .
Sure, it's available, but wireless QoS appears to be broken.

I tried cranking up the TX power on the N66U and for me, it didn't make much difference.

Lack of TX power adjustments is less of a deal killer for me, but without them, the RT-N66U, in my limited testing, has a slightly larger
range on the 5Ghz network as I go up and down floors in a house.

but I expect the bugs to be ironed out on the AC66U and going forward, for me, the AC66U makes the most sense, since I tend to stick with my router for a while

Yeah, keep in mind this is Draft ac though. Once the standard is released, you may want something else.

I own both routers. This wireless QoS issue does bother me with the RT-AC66U.

Last edited:
Any noticeable performance differences between the 2 using 802.11n?

Pretty similar performance on both the 2.4 and 5 ghz between the ac and the n models. I found the 2.4 a bit better on the ac and the 5 better on the n (not by much though maybe a 10% difference). I was on .155 beta on the n before I returned it for the ac.

Any noticeable performance differences between the 2 using 802.11n?

You can't make TX power adjustments with the RT-AC66U. I've only played around with 5 Ghz, and, yes, since I can adjust TX power with the RT-N66U, I can get better signal strength. But the difference isn't huge.

I have two of these devices. One is a bridge.

Previous config:
E4200 stock firmware as router/ap
E3000 DDWRT as bridge
Reliability: 100% bullet proof.

I've updated to this firmware. Results:

Bridge <-> AP throughput 3x previous config. That is great.

Reliability: totally abysmal. Devices behind the bridge are frequently inaccessible when hit from the WAN via forwarded ports. Rebooting the bridge fixes it momentarily. Even then it takes a few tries to connect.

Speed is pointless if I cannot hit my media PC when I'm on the road. I may have to suck it up and crawl around under the house pulling cable.:(

Also annoying is that the bridge, connected via 5G, opens up the 2.4G radio as an extension of the 5G network. So now I have two 2.4G APs running, one is the bridge. No big deal, but the option to turn off the radio not is use would be nice.

Edit: here's a nice bug. If I configure as a bridge and attempt to connect to my E4200 the Asus unit freaking boot-loops forever.

The FAIL with this device is epic. Asus just blew it. The UI is bling over substance (cannot edit port forwards? Only delete and re-add?) and the firmware is pure garbage.

OMG. FAIL2: on the bridge which is connected to the AP on the 5Ghz band, the 2.4Ghz radio is on, with an SSID of "ASUS" and no way to set security on it. THANKS ASUS, Just...wow.

Last edited:
Ok, so I received my AC66U today and it came with firmware version 3.0.0.4.140.

This version DOES allow you to set the TX power and it does stick. So it seems like it being missing in 164 is a bug and hopefully not a designed omission.

**EDIT**
Well, I was gonna stick with 140 for a bit to see how it would go but unfortunately, windows won't see my attached USB drive property on 140. It lists RT-AC66U in the Network list but it fails when I drill down, but in the router config, it sees everything fine. I upgraded to 164 and windows see it fine now, so it looks like I don't have a choice of firmware.

Again, the TX setting was there in 140 so hopefully they will put it back.

Last edited:
Ok, so I received my AC66U today and it came with firmware version 3.0.0.4.140.

This version DOES allow you to set the TX power and it does stick. So it seems like it being missing in 164 is a bug and hopefully not a designed omission.

The person I spoke to on the phone at Asus claims the omission may be by design because too many people were raising TX power too high and pushing out their neighbour's network signal (I have no idea how Asus is able to determine that's happening).

Anyway, if you want to be able to set TX Power, then I encourage you to contact Asus' networking department and request a change be made in a firmware update.

Last edited:
The person I spoke to on the phone at Asus claims the omission may be by design because too many people were raising TX power too high and pushing out their neighbour's network signal (I have no idea how Asus is able to determine that's happening).

Anyway, if you want to be able to set TX Power, then I encourage you to contact Asus' networking department and request a change be made in a firmware update.

That doesn't make much sense, since it is still in the N66U version. You would think they would have taken it out of that version, if that really were the case.

Arogan or Arrow,
Have you guys done any 2.4ghz thoughput testing? I just read a review at CNet...

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/asus-rt-ac66u-802/4505-3319_7-35406080-2.html

that shows the 2.4ghz thoughput to be pretty abysmal compared to the N66U and the R6300. I haven't done any testing yet but those results in the review look terrible. I wonder if the review was done with the original 140 firmware or the newer 164 firmware(my guess is the old firmware).

Last edited:
iperf 2
server is a win 7 machine on gigabit ethernet
wireless client is a mbp mid 2010
Test was run for 30 sec each.
I set 2.4ghz to channel 3 and 20 mhz width on the ac66u.

Top set is from about 5ft from router same room, left = 5ghz, right = 2.4ghz.
Bottom set is from across opposite ends of my house crossing multiple rooms and floor.

environment:
using the new nifty wifi scan built into osx mountain lion I found 7 other 2.4ghz radios in my area (none on 5ghz):
3 on channel 6, 2 on 9, 1 on 11, and 1 on 2.

That's why picking channel 3 seems to give me the best performance though I really didn't spend any time testing different channels (leaving control channel on Auto sucked).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 2.06.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 2.06.17 PM.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 437
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 2.07.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 2.07.18 PM.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 572
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 2.09.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 2.09.34 PM.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 479
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 2.10.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 2.10.44 PM.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
Well, unless I am reading those wrong(ya never know with me lol) those numbers look fine and are better than what that review showed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!