What's new

Asus RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.164

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, fully appreciate your commitments and your kind support/service for our Asus user community. The reason for my request was, when I connected the AC66U as AP mode, to my firewall enabled D-Link 615 router, everything worked fine, except my Win7-64 Comodo Firewall software displayed a message saying I was connecting to an "unsecured wireless network". I'll patiently await your AC66U firmware release... With kind regards,

Odd. Is that PC connected through wireless? If so, make sure it's using WPA or WPA2 (preferably).

Odd. Is that PC connected through wireless? If so, make sure it's using WPA or WPA2 (preferably).

I use WPA2 Personal with AES and have tested it with both wired and wireless connections. Comodo Pro 2012 on AP mode displays the same message as connected to Unsecured Network.

Just as a heads-up: I just received a new RT-AC66U today in the mail :)
That means I'll be able to work on giving it official support in Asuswrt-merlin in the near future.
A thousand thanks for your great work! I bet all users of the Asus truly appreciate it. :D

AsusWRT-Merlin - Custom firmware for RT-AC66U

RT-AC66U: First beta releaseASUS_RTAC66U_3003164_RM15Beta.zip (19.6MB)

Asuswrt-merlin provides the following changes over the original firmware:

• WakeOnLan web interface (with user-entered preset targets)
  • JFFS persistent partition
  • User scripts executed at init, services startup, WAN up, firewall up and shutdown.
  • SSHD (through dropbear)
  • OUI (MAC address) lookup if you click on a MAC on the Client list (ported from DD-WRT)
  • Optionally turn the WPS button into a radio on/off switch
  • Saving your traffic history to disk (USB or JFFS)
  • Displaying monthly traffic history
  • Monitor your router's temperature (under Administration -> Performance Tuning)
  • Display active/tracked network connections
  • Allows tweaking TCP/UDP connection tracking timeouts
  • Various bugfixes: crash issues related to VPN, etc...
  • layer7 and cifs kernel modules added
  • Optional user-settings for the WAN DHCP client (required by some ISPs)
  • Description field added to DHCP reservation entries
  • Dual WAN support (both failover and load balancing supported)
  • Disk spindown after user-configurable inactivity timeout
  • System info summary page
  • Wireless client IP and hostname on the Wireless Log page
  • Cron jobs
▼ Download: You can download it from the Github repo: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/downloads

Or from my website: http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/ (Beta release only available on Github at the moment)

The source code including my changes can be found on Github: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7715 ;)

RMerlin said:
I have just released a first beta version for the RT-AC66U. This version provides all the same
improvements available for the RT-N66U version, such as JFFS, SSH, user-scripts, etc...

You can download it on the Github repository: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/downloads.
The complete source code is also available there. For more info: http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin/

For the past months I have been providing a custom firmware for the RT-N66U, based on Asus's code
(see this thread for more details). I will post development news on my Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/RMerlinDev
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2012081213335…p;SLanguage=en-us :rolleyes:

Tx Power

Can somebody here point me to a tutorial on how I would know what power I can turn my router antenna up to without damaging it and/or how to find the sweet spot? With the default of 80mw on the AC66U, I only get around 9mbps download on 2.4ghz, 40mhz, wireless. When i cranked it up to 500mw, my download went to 13mbps and my range improved by about 20 feet. Can i leave it here or will this cause me problems? Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Any value that the router can be set to is safe - it's what Asus designed it for. However some people observed that beyond a certain point, you start adding more noise to the signal, so it might not be as beneficial.

You will have to experiment a bit to see what works best for your particular case. Go with 30 mw increments at a time.

Firmware Update

Hi Everybody!

Just wanted to drop in and let you all know that there is an official firmware release that addresses Tx Power, some Media Bridge problems, and QoS issues scheduled to be available by the end of next week.

We know and understand that people are having problems with certain aspects of the AC66U firmware. Please know that we are working hard to fix the complications.

Hi Everybody!

Just wanted to drop in and let you all know that there is an official firmware release that addresses Tx Power, some Media Bridge problems, and QoS issues scheduled to be available by the end of next week.

We know and understand that people are having problems with certain aspects of the AC66U firmware. Please know that we are working hard to fix the complications.
Is this 3.0.0.4.182? Looks like it is up now on the support site.

Can anyone else confirm that build 182 is even more broken in relation to wifi and QoS/CTF? If I turn QoS on, or disable HW Acceleration with this build, I can no longer even connect through wifi to the router. Tested after a factory default reset.

Is this 3.0.0.4.182? Looks like it is up now on the support site.

ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.182
Fixed
1. Comcast IPv6 related issues.
2. UPnP media server restart
3. Wireless radio schedule setting issue
4. Stabilize media bridge wireless trasmission.
5. Network map client list related issue.

Modify
1. Enable Tx power adjustment.
2. Update 3G/4G modem profiles
3. Allow Upnp port redirect external port: 1-65535 to internal port 1024-65535
4. QoS user interface, shows applied rule in first page.

:D

Can anyone else confirm that build 182 is even more broken in relation to wifi and QoS/CTF? If I turn QoS on, or disable HW Acceleration with this build, I can no longer even connect through wifi to the router. Tested after a factory default reset.

Confirmed on the QoS part! Turning it on completely ruins Wifi. Don't they at least tests the basics of their software?

Confirmed on the QoS part! Turning it on completely ruins Wifi. Don't they at least tests the basics of their software?

This is amazing to me. With all the huff about QOS and TX, you would think they would actually TEST it to make sure it works. From reading the release notes, it looks like they didn't even address the actual issue tho.

Last edited:
This is amazing to me. With all the huff about QOS and TX, you would think they would actually TEST it to make sure it works. From reading the release notes, it looks like they didn't even address the actual issue tho.
Yes it is amazing. The QoS obviously does not work at all and instead they are focusing on some QoS GUI elements. Of course as a developer I know that some bugs are more easily fixed than others but in this case the QoS went from crippled to being completely ruined.

Coming from the world of Dlink this seems very unprofessional in comparison. I took the RT-AC66U home for testing because I considered it to be used in our offices. It will see how this product improves over the next couple of months but so far I have to say that I am a bit sceptical in using this product for anything serious.

But at least Asus (and we) have Merlin to help them (maybe they should hire him). And hopefully support for DD-WRT and Tomato could solve the problem in the future.

Otherwise we will have to go back to Dlink. They may not be as powerful but the stability is there.

Looks like Asus are aware of the issue, 182 is gone from their website. Thanks for confirming it folks!

Any value that the router can be set to is safe - it's what Asus designed it for. However some people observed that beyond a certain point, you start adding more noise to the signal, so it might not be as beneficial.

You will have to experiment a bit to see what works best for your particular case. Go with 30 mw increments at a time.

Thank you for the reply!

Just got an AC66U. Came stock with 3.0.0.4.140.

Should I stay on this firmware until RMerlin releases his version of ASUS's latest update?

On the 2.4GHz radio, it lets me set 20MHz, 40MHz or both. On the 5GHz radio, the options are auto, 20MHz, 40MHz, 80MHZ. No option for all (unless that's what auto does).

Just got an AC66U. Came stock with 3.0.0.4.140.

Should I stay on this firmware until RMerlin releases his version of ASUS's latest update?

On the 2.4GHz radio, it lets me set 20MHz, 40MHz or both. On the 5GHz radio, the options are auto, 20MHz, 40MHz, 80MHZ. No option for all (unless that's what auto does).

I already released a version that's actually newer since it's based on 3.0.0.3.178. I expect Asus to have something newer available sometime this week however, with a fix for the QOS/CTF + Wifi issue.

The Auto setting amounts to 20/40/80 indeed (Asus actually renamed it to that in the newer firmware code).

Is 3.0.0.3.178 newer than 3.0.0.4.140?

Anyway, just upgraded to 3.0.0.4.164 from Asus's website. Tx adjustment is missing for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios, BUT now my computers and devices can connect to the 5GHz network.

Weird...

Is 3.0.0.3.178 newer than 3.0.0.4.140?

Anyway, just upgraded to 3.0.0.4.164 from Asus's website. Tx adjustment is missing for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios, BUT now my computers and devices can connect to the 5GHz network.

Weird...

Yes. The way Asus versions works is a bit confusing (and they don't always follow that structure to the letter):

3.0 = major version
0.3 = code branch
178 = build number

I've seen them use 3.1 and even 9.1 as the major version for beta releases.

For some devices (like the RT-N66U), you get the 0.3 branch that is current, and the 0.4 branch where they enable AiCloud and the 64K NVRAM. N66U builds of that branch are currently only available to betatesters.

Since the GPL code I base my work on is usually labelled as 3.0.0.3, I simply kept that version in my builds.

So for now, the only digit that really counts is the build number. 178 is newer than 164.

Tx setting missing in 164 is a known issue that Asus fixed in 178.

Fw_rt-ac66u_3.0.0.4_188

Description ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.188

httр://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U/FW_RT_AC66U_3004188.zip

File Size 21,87 (MBytes) 2012.08.31 update

Fixed

• 1. Comcast IPv6 related issues.
  • 2. UPnP media server restart issue
  • 3. Wireless radio schedule setting issue
  • 4. Stabilize media bridge wireless trasmission.
  • 5. Network map client list related issue.
Modify

• 1. Enable Tx power adjustment.
  • 2. Update 3G/4G modem profiles
  • 3. Allow Upnp port redirect external port: 1-65535 to internal port 1024-65535
  • 4. QoS user interface, shows applied rule in first page.
Add

• 1. Support Huawei K3770 USB Modem
  • 2. NO-IP support

http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTAC66U/#download :rolleyes:

graph3.jpg

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/revi...-ac-dual-band-router-thrilling-media-streamer ;)

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...-asus-rt-ac66u-dark-knight-rises-3845510.html :p

That results graph is from tests on firmware .164 not .188 but even so it's 5GHz range is superb.

Lets hope Asus updates the Broadcom driver to the new verion 6.x on RT-N66U also.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!