What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U + UML295 = Stuck

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kor714

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT-AC68U with 3.0.0.4.374.39 for firmware.

I also have a Pantech UML295 4G USB modem on the Verizon network.

The modem is configured for IP Pass Through - IPPT.

The modem is tested on the computer, works fine. I even left it on and plugged into the router for the night before asking Verizon if they could see the connection - they confirmed that it had been online since midnight.

I have been trying different variations of the following settings, but this is the best bet based on research and talking with the Verizon techs:

ISP: Verizon
APN: VZWINTERNET (APN matches the APN on the device)
Dial Number: #777 (tried all the other ones too, but the Verizon tech recommended this number)
PIN code: blank (no PIN is set on the device SIM)
Username: myphonenumber@vzw4g.com
Password: vzw
USB Adapter: Auto

Nothing seems to work. No matter what I change the settings to. Also, I have made sure to set the primary WAN to USB as well. I've tried 2 different DD-WRT (betas), 2 different asuswrt, and 2 different asuswrt-merlin... still no luck.

I am thinking that the UML295 may just be too new. I would be willing to mail this device off for testing and a promise of return if it could be added to the next firmware.

Logs

The issue you shared is IPPT (see above) before the device is set to IPPT, it will show up as a cd-rom, mass storage, or it's own little web server. Once IPPT is enabled it does not have that issue. Looking at my log and ui, it does show up as a modem for me.

Support

You are correct that the UML295 is not on the supported device list. It seems like several people are able to use the UML290 which is also not specifically on the supported list. I am half tempted to downgrade just to make this work, but it would be great not to have to do that.

The closest one that I see on the supported device list is: PCD UMW190 USB Modem Verizon, but knowing the other models that people DO have working, I am hoping that a solution exists for the UML295 as well.

I'm in the same exact boat, Kor714, and I'm afraid we're almost assuredly out of luck.

It appears the UML295 is a different kind of beast than the older UML290 (and most USB modems) all-together.

See: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/794973

It has a built in web GUI that apparently has to be interacted with to establish connections.

Here's some details on that: https://bitbucket.org/accelecon/modemmanager/wiki/PantechUML295

It seems like they would need some explicit code in the RT-AC68U to be able to handle this style of USB modem.

I will now commence kicking myself until I feel my lack of due diligence prior to purchase penance has been paid.

Return

It is possible to disable the web UI and use straight pass through mode, but it still is not working. Since I was within the 2 weeks that Verizon gives customers to request a different device, I have requested the exchange. I will have a UML290 on Tuesday.

With the help of a DD-WRT forum member i was able to manually get my UML295 somewhat running on my Netgear AC1450 using the cdc_ether & usbnet modules. After running these two modules you it comes up as eth* (eth3 in my case) then you grab an IP for it with udhcpc.

That being said, it does work except there seems to be some dropped packets and/or bad routing when web browsing. Some websites hang when loading and/or load really slow. I'm sure there may be a better way to setup the routing to eliminate the issues i'm having.

If anyone is still interested in doing this just let me know and I can give details on how I got it working so far.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!