What's new

Asus RT-AC86U shutting down at night?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PULCK

Occasional Visitor
I recently installed an RT-AC86U (following recommendations in another thread) and it has been working great. Except... a few times in the last couple of weeks my internet has gone down in the middle of the night. I know this because my burglar alarm (which is reliant on a wifi connection) has emailed me to say that it was offline for a few hours in the night.

How can I check if my router is the culprit? When I look at the syslog around the time of the outage, what should I be looking for? I don't see anything as simple as "shutdown" in it. And

No, latest Merlin.
I had the same problem. I think there’s a memory leak in Merlin’s build. I noticed the memory usage gradually rising and after 5 to 7 days the router would reboot. I switched to stock with the same exact setup and have an uptime of 20+ days now.

I recently installed an RT-AC86U (following recommendations in another thread) and it has been working great. Except... a few times in the last couple of weeks my internet has gone down in the middle of the night. I know this because my burglar alarm (which is reliant on a wifi connection) has emailed me to say that it was offline for a few hours in the night.

How can I check if my router is the culprit? When I look at the syslog around the time of the outage, what should I be looking for? I don't see anything as simple as "shutdown" in it. And

When the router reboots it has not got the right time from the NTP server, so look for a date change (May 5 in my case) in syslog. If you can't find any date change in the logs the router has not rebooted.

I had the same problem. I think there’s a memory leak in Merlin’s build. I noticed the memory usage gradually rising and after 5 to 7 days the router would reboot. I switched to stock with the same exact setup and have an uptime of 20+ days now.
Unfortunately, I need to use Merlin for the ability to set Option 61.

When the router reboots it has not got the right time from the NTP server, so look for a date change (May 5 in my case) in syslog. If you can't find any date change in the logs the router has not rebooted.
I don't see any date change, so perhaps it's not my router. However, I did notice it was set to the wrong region (Greenwich Meantime instead of Greenwich Meantime London).

The culprit could be my modem - Draytek Vigor 130. Annoyingly, because it's in bridge mode, I cannot access its web interface - a serious shortcoming of this model.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!