What's new

Asus rt-ac86u, vpn issue and firmware questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JeyJ

New Around Here
Firmware question solved
Let's start with the firmware question. I don't have a lot of experience with routers but I've read that some custom firmwares can limit certain routers so I'm just wondering if I'd get the same speeds using merlin? I'm currently getting around 90mbps down using stock firmware.
I'd also like to make my router kill the internet connection if the vpn goes down and be able to connect a device outside of the router without turning off the router for all devices.

Now over to the vpn problem.
When connecting with openvpn i keep getting a warning in the logs, both when connecting through windows and also through my router.
The router log says
WARNING: Ignore conflicted routing rule: <my new vpn ip> 255.255.255.255 gw <my old regular ip>

In windows it says
openvpn route addition failed using createipforwardentry [status=5010 if_index=2]

Both got several successful routing attempts prior to the latest one that fails.

From googling most with this issue talks about also using a server, which I'm not. They're also saying it's caused by trying to connect more times than you have available connections but my vpn gives me 10 connections and I'm not even close to that so i can't see how that could be it.
Even with this error is still able to connect and give me a new ip and location so I'm not sure how important this issue is but i really like to fix it so any help is appreciated.

My ac86u got the latest stock firmware (3.0.0.4.384_81049)
Pc on windows 8.1 with the latest openvpn client.

Last edited:
Help clarify your problem.

1. Are you trying to set up a VPN server so you can connect securely to your router when you are away from home?
2. Are trying to create a VPN client(s) so all or some devices connected on your LAN use a VPN?
3. If you are trying to setup a VPN client who is your VPN provider?
4. What model router do you have and what firmware are you running on it?
5. Is the router you are trying to set up the VPN on double NATed behind another router?

Help clarify your problem.

1. Are you trying to set up a VPN server so you can connect securely to your router when you are away from home?
2. Are trying to create a VPN client(s) so all or some devices connected on your LAN use a VPN?
3. If you are trying to setup a VPN client who is your VPN provider?
4. What model router do you have and what firmware are you running on it?
5. Is the router you are trying to set up the VPN on double NATed behind another router?
1. No server, only client
2. I'm running the vpn on my router and want to set it up so if needed I'd be able to use a device connected to my router outside of the vpn while still having my other connected devices going through the vpn.
From what I've read it's possible to do this in merlin by creating rules for it.
3. I'm using a local vpn in my country that currently only offer their service through a few isp's here. But it's called integrity vpn.
4. I got an asus rt-ac86u with the latest stock firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81049
5. Nope only one router.

I also mentioned a problem I'm having when connecting my vpn, the routers system log says
WARNING: Ignore conflicted routing rule: <my new vpn ip> 255.255.255.255 gw <my old regular ip>
But it's still connecting and giving me new ip and location

Everything you need is available in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. It will not limit your VPN speeds in any way. Information on how to setup properly OpenVPN Clients in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is available here on SMB forums. RT-AC86U can process >200Mbps VPN connections. I can reach 270Mbps through VPN on local NordVPN server, for example.

Everything you need is available in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. It will not limit your VPN speeds in any way. Information on how to setup properly OpenVPN Clients in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is available here on SMB forums. RT-AC86U can process >200Mbps VPN connections. I can reach 270Mbps through VPN on local NordVPN server, for example.
I updated to merlin and it's great. Speed works fine and it was really simple to set it up to force traffic through the vpn with a kill switch and also to do it per device.

Last problem i have now is the warning I'm getting in the logs. I've asked in multiple forums but no answer yet, not even if it's something i should be concerned about or something i can ignore..
Any help is appreciated