What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you need it fixed then switch to Merlin. I am on the official firmware probably until next release from RMerlin and then will switch back to his edition where everything works and there's extra functionality.

I'm on 4950. This morning my 5Ghz network changed SSID from what it normally is to **. The 2.4Ghz remained functional but I had to reboot to get 5Gh working. Otherwise I had been running on 8 days of continuous uptime. Still better than the other firmware releases.

Me too 8 days running and never had to reboot it because an issue or log errors

Replied through Tapatalk

Ditto here. Router and AP, both on 4950 have now been up for 10 days.

Nothing but NTP updates and occasional "non-work-conserving" messages in the log.

20 devices flawlessly roaming between AP and Router, 2.4 and 5Ghz (5Ghz beamforming still has to be off).

....."non-work-conserving" presumably from the USB HD attached (?).
I think it's a result of QoS (qdisc = "queuing discipline") but I admit I'm not 100% sure. If it is I'm still not sure why it appears in the log, but it doesn't seem to be a bad thing!

Last edited:

Nothing but NTP updates and occasional "non-work-conserving" messages in the log.

20 devices flawlessly roaming between AP and Router, 2.4 and 5Ghz (5Ghz beamforming still has to be off).

I finally can use a second unit as an AP. I have had no issues and now have great coverage. Both are on 4950.

My first post as a new member.

Just purchased the RT-ac87u this weekend after using the RT-N66u. Once everything was setup, I updated the FW to 4608. I tried to update to 4950 but the router basically stopped working/responding. I reset and re-installed 4608. With FW 4608, I'm getting good distant coverage with 5.2ghz, faster speeds and my iDevices work fine. My desktop Intel ac 7260 adapter seems to be the weak point now.

I'm a little hesitant to try 4950 again given that 4608 has been stable so far.

Normally I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke.... don't fix it", but 4950 is a great step up from 4608.

You obviously were unlucky with resetting your router - I had a similar problem initially. Follow the instructions for resetting NVRAM carefully. It can be worth resetting several times (and maybe even using different methods) to be sure! Reset - Upgrade - Reset - Load from scratch (not using saved settings). If you have a problem even after this, try reinstalling 4950 onto a router which already HAS 4950 and is already reset to factory defaults! This finally fixed a weird issue for me. Someone may jump in and say I'm overcomplicating things and that there IS a simple 100% effective way to upgrade without issue, but as someone who had 2 AC87Us that both upgraded into a strange state, despite multiple resets, I do think this router has issues with being properly reset, but I would say 4950 is worth it!

This one is for the users repeating. I have the 87u as the main and a 66u as a repeater. I have family that lives next door and the repeater is there. I decided to add a guest networks specifically for next door. The repeater DOESN'T repeat your guest networks so next door the signal was low. So I reset the 66u as a repeater and selected the guest network as the wireless to connect too. Still was not repeating. Went into the 66u and can see in the network map that it was still referencing the original wireless ssid for both 2.4 and 5. I had to go in and manually set the ssid's to the correct guest ssid and key for both to get it to finally work. You would have figured that as a repeater it would have repeated the whole bunch of ssid's?

Normally I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke.... don't fix it", but 4950 is a great step up from 4608.

You obviously were unlucky with resetting your router - I had a similar problem initially. Follow the instructions for resetting NVRAM carefully. It can be worth resetting several times (and maybe even using different methods) to be sure! Reset - Upgrade - Reset - Load from scratch (not using saved settings). If you have a problem even after this, try reinstalling 4950 onto a router which already HAS 4950 and is already reset to factory defaults! This finally fixed a weird issue for me. Someone may jump in and say I'm overcomplicating things and that there IS a simple 100% effective way to upgrade without issue, but as someone who had 2 AC87Us that both upgraded into a strange state, despite multiple resets, I do think this router has issues with being properly reset, but I would say 4950 is worth it!
I dont know if reset is necessary. I install 4950 in 2015.04.02 , without reset and so far so good, everything Works fine.

I think it's very user/settings/luck dependent!

If all is in a good state already and all goes well maybe you don't. But, in my case there was a 100% guaranteed problem (br0 errors), that was not even fixed by a simple reset (I did LOADS of them).

So, like you, I'm all for trying a simple upgrade, with no messing about, first. But, if odd things happen afterwards, full, even multiple(!), resets are in order :).

Further to my post yesterday, I upgraded to 4950 last night with a reset. Everything seemed to be fine after the upgrade. One exception, 5.2ghz was slightly slower than FW 4608. Today, 5.2ghz kept disconnecting and slowing. I then upgraded to 4950 again without resetting. Speed seems fine but Windows keeps asking for the security key each time I log onto my wireless network.

I have thirty days to decide about the ac87u. When I bought the ac87u, it was priced $35 more than the ac68u. I thought It was an easy decision to opt for the ac87u given the delta. So far the ac87u, with the 4950 FW is a keeper. This weekend is the AppleTV test. If the 87u passes, the ac87u will have a permanent home.

Very strange:

In oficial support page the ASUS RT-AC87R Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4376 is vanish, gone with the Wind. ????????

One iPad that stays in the same room most of the time, so rarely has to roam has been connected non-stop to the same 5Ghz radio for 5 days now :). Seriously 4950, with 5Ghz beamforming OFF is close to perfect here.

Personally I find it both funny and annoying that so many Apple devices users are complaining onto Asus to (fix) their routers which mostly end up in disabling some features.
Hey, go complain to Apple for creating proprietary-tuned devices that are not compatible with standards.

You don't know who is also reporting issues to Apple. All you can do in this situation is report to both sides and hope one, or other, or both will be proactive and get it fixed. The Apple fixes in 8.3 suggest this works, to some extent at least!

Clearly, if the problem is with Apple then Asus' response to the tickets raised with them should be to speak to Apple and not disable features! If Asus disable stuff without escalating to Apple that is their bad!

Last edited:
I see Asus still haven't the bug in fw 4950 where the LEDs don't remain switched off permanently despite switching them off via the hard button. This happens quite often after a reboot or when changing some config setting. Will Asus EVER fix this bug?
It is fixed in the new Beta. Er, I think?

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/93241693-post3000.html

Dear all,

RT-AC87U: 3.0.0.4_378_5134 Unofficial beta

Changelog:
Update: QIS ver. 1.5
Update: traffic monitor
Fix: reduce media server memory usage
Fix: [Media Bridge] Can't connect to P-AP by 5GHz DFS channel
Fix: [USB Application][Media Server - Windows media player
Fix: WAN Status LED

* No hard reset require from build 4950

Download: http://goo.gl/ppJuct

Best regard,
JK

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!