What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reboot issue is still there on new firmware. Also Qos seems more broken. With nothing on but my tablet, I tried speedtest.net and my 45mbs was 17mbs. Disabled qos and its back to 45mbs. I did not noticed that issue with last firmware.

On 5ghz with ONLY adaptive QOS enabled I'm receiving full speed actually. I have not noticed any reboots using firmware released yesterday by Gary.

Official Firmware Release - Build 2061

Build 2061 is available for download here - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17612062/RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376_2061-gdea2a5b.zip

This is the approved version of beta build 2060 and contains the latest Quantenna 5GHz performance firmware and tweaks to Beamforming settings to ensure best out of box performance. I should have an expanded change list on Monday.

This build will be available for auto-update and on the support site late Monday.

RT-AC87R 3.0.0.4.376.2061 release note
-------------------------------------
1. Upgraded the latest driver for Quantenna 802.11ac processor.
2. Enhanced media bridge mode performance.
3. Enhanced performance between Intel Centrino 5300 and RT-AC87U.
4. Fixed beamforming GUI bug and enabled beamforming by default.
5. Fixed AiCloud UI issue when generating file share link.
6. Various bug fixes.

Last edited:
Thanks Gary. I hope the "Manually reboot router" after upgrading FW's been fixed yet? Not sure why it is necessary to manually reboot and not reboot via the GUI.

Last edited:
Reboot issue is still there on new firmware. Also Qos seems more broken. With nothing on but my tablet, I tried speedtest.net and my 45mbs was 17mbs. Disabled qos and its back to 45mbs. I did not noticed that issue with last firmware.

What tablet? I picked up 3Mbps on 2061 today with the Nexus 7 2013 and QoS enabled.

What tablet? I picked up 3Mbps on 2061 today with the Nexus 7 2013 and QoS enabled.

Well not to hijack helping him, but there is some kind of reboot issue with QoS enabled though. As I said in a previous post of mine, after having run QoS for a period of time. My router rebooted in the process of gaming online via console, and the console was set to highest priority.

So I have run this router now for close to two weeks, and only one reboot happen. In which QoS was enabled during that period. I have since disabled QoS, and haven't had an issue with the router since. Which has been a couple day's, so I just hope Asus internally is doing more testing with QoS. As a feature causing router to reboot is a useless one :).

Looking forward to your posting the update, Gary. I am having issues where my RT-AC87R periodically drops the connections in the house; the wireless connections remain up on the devices, but there is no communication to the WAN, and often (but not always) none to the LAN. Sometimes, I can disconnect a device and re-connect and bring its Internet connection back up. Sometimes I have to reboot the router. All testing points to the router as the common culprit; it did not happen until switching out my RT-AC66R. I have heard other reports that say I am not the only one. When things are working, performance is reasonable --it's just that they aren't always working.

I think the 87 will be a good device, but with respect, I think it's not quite ready for prime time. Hope that next firmware revision will come soon.

Well he mention in his post yesterday, he expects next release in about 10 days. Which is to have USB performance increase, and some other bug fixes. So the next major release should be around the week of the 18th of this month.

It has been said many times on this site, those that are early adopters of new wireless routers have to be patient while the bugs are worked out. Its the nature of the beast and a given when you buy a first off wireless router. No patience, buy a product that has been on the market for at least 6 months.....

i can not get this firmware to work on my case, while the web gui showing internet connected but i can't access internet at all or my wan passthrough. went back to early build or 44 build work normal.

update: something not normal, before this router will auto detect the MAC address but now it doesn't even if i going back to early built, i have to chose MAC clone for it to work again. Does anybody know why? some help would be really appreciate.

Last edited:
Official Firmware Release - Build 2061

Build 2061 is available for download here - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17612062/RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376_2061-gdea2a5b.zip

This is the approved version of beta build 2060 and contains the latest Quantenna 5GHz performance firmware and tweaks to Beamforming settings to ensure best out of box performance. I should have an expanded change list on Monday.

This build will be available for auto-update and on the support site late Monday.
Is it okay to flash this trx file for the AC87U on the AC87R? Thank you.

Merlin,
Any changes from the release Gary posted yesterday, and the latest beta you are using, regarding any QoS changes? As i have ran my router for couple days, without a reboot. So i would say, in my case QoS caused my router to reboot the other day, when i had it enabled.

I know Asus were expecting an updated engine from Trendmicro last week, but no idea which build will use it.

Last edited:
Thanks Gary. I hope the "Manually reboot router" after upgrading FW's been fixed yet? Not sure why it is necessary to manually reboot and not reboot via the GUI.

Quite often, the problem is that the router can randomly get stuck when rebooting after a firmware update. This is because the firmware updates the OS partition "live".

Not sure tho why this issue is more common with ARM devices than it was with MIPS devices.

That's why it asks for a manual reboot - in case it's stuck during its shutdown stage.

Gary,

Thank you for making the 2061 build available for us. It is much appreciated, as is the hard work the devs spend on the code (and Merlin's work providing code based on it).

I have already upgraded; it will take time to test out, but I'm glad to see the work that's being done, and so far things are working.

It will be in the next general release. :)

Thanks Gary for the info, as I will keep QoS off till the next general release. I can't have the router randomly rebooting using QoS, would be to many unhappy people in the house :).

Dead loop issue is still in 2061. Also Gary do you know when the reboot issue will be fixed? Everytime I reboot I have to go up and power cycle the router.

Last edited:
Dead loop issue is still in 2061. Also Gary do you know when the reboot issue will be fixed? Everytime I reboot I have to go up and power cycle the router.

Manual reboot after upgrade is by design because many routers hang or otherwise don't reboot properly when automatically rebooting. Net gear and Linksys doing same now with latest firmware updates.

Manual reboot after upgrade is by design because many routers hang or otherwise don't reboot properly when automatically rebooting. Net gear and Linksys doing same now with latest firmware updates.

That not the issue I am talking about. There are many people here that just pressing the reboot button we loose internet and WiFi. The only way to fix is to power cycle.

That not the issue I am talking about. There are many people here that just pressing the reboot button we loose internet and WiFi. The only way to fix is to power cycle.

I've never been able to reproduce this problem here (and I do plenty of reboots), so it must be specific to a particular configuration. A serial cable would probably be needed to determine at which stage of the shutdown it gets stuck, otherwise that won't be easy to track down.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!