What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Really do not know if there's heating problem, or if this is a problem of this router. My router is on 24 hours a day and did not notice heating problems. I live in Sao Paulo city, Brazil, and in thisweek has ambient temperature of 36C, and had no problems.

I believe some units have a heating problems, not all.

I certainly do not wish to add a fan to this router. Our temps are OK simply using the supermarket wire rack solution.

If ambient temp ever reaches 36C the AC would come on way before that so no worries there.

Is there any study done on temps running at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100% power?

The only fan I tolerate is from the Cisco enterprise router and that is a beast. Easy to pop the hood and blow out any dust from fan and internals once a year :D

Mine was a 14C degree change from the pads to the paste.

Did you apply any paste in between the Cores and IHS or just replacing the pads in between the IHS and heatsink?

But I think my temps are acceptable.
Your CPU temps was at 84°c previously. Thus dropping to 70°c might seems a lot.
Mine was 73°c originally therefore replacing the thermal paste won't see much difference. Although only 2°c decrease in temp to 71°c after the thermal paste swap meant that I still achieve the objective of this 'mod' rather than having the temp increase.:D

May I request the Temp monitoring page to be added to the official firmware release too ???

Doubt so as Asus has too many routers to do so if they wanna incorporate a temp monitoring page.
Merlin does so because he has the passion to improve Asus's already good firmware for the sake of the community.

May I request the Temp monitoring page to be added to the official firmware release too ???

Will never happen. It just makes people obsess over their temperatures varying a few degrees and it will lead to too many tech support calls.

I am also leaving Lan 1 jack unused now, after reading about that, not a big deal to me anyway and MAYBE nothing at all.

You bring up an interesting point though. We know that LAN1 goes through the Quantenna chip, and maybe there are possible performance issues with saturated 5GHz networks. But so far no one has mentioned the possibility that a LAN connection running through the Quantenna chip might actually make it run hotter and increase the drop-out rate.

It would be good for those with issues to make sure that LAN1 is empty, at least to eliminate that variable.

Did you apply any paste in between the Cores and IHS or just replacing the pads in between the IHS and heatsink?

But I think my temps are acceptable.
Your CPU temps was at 84°c previously. Thus dropping to 70°c might seems a lot.
Mine was 73°c originally therefore replacing the thermal paste won't see much difference. Although only 2°c decrease in temp to 71°c after the thermal paste swap meant that I still achieve the objective of this 'mod' rather than having the temp increase.:D

Just between the IHS and heatsink.

Additional users for login AICloud

Hi,

Is it possible to add additional users for login to the AICloud (app) or website?

Im have the ASUS -Rt-87U.

Regards,
Indy

No, as of now Asus only allows the main / only user to login.

Sounds easy to do but Im not ASUS

No, as of now Asus only allows the main / only user to login.

Ok, thanx!

Hopefully this will be changed sometime soon. I find it useful to give different users different credentials...

Regards,
Christian

May ask if those of you who suspect heat issues can solve the problem by activating flight mode on the phonce or PC for a few seconds? My iPhone 6 has a problem from time to time and I perform this operation and then it works instanteniously again on the 5 GHz band. In my experience I wouldn't expect heat to be the problem if this is the situation.
My AC laptop has no problems maintaining a rock steady connection on the 5 GHz. 2,4 band works flawlessly on all other devices.
A user mentioned that Asus was aware of a persistent problem with the 5 GHz, if that is really true I would not recommend opening the router and void warranty and possibly even damage this expensive piece of router in the process... I would suggest those who has a 5 GHz problem to temporarily move to 2.4...

dd-wrt build for RT-AC87U

Guys,
I was using dd-wrt build for RT-AC87U for days and the last available build (01-20-2015-r25974) has no bugs so far besides all functions are working well. I was suffering from ASUS build and even Merlin build, sorry.

does anyone know if the latest 3885 firmware carries the latest quantenna driver v36.7.0.31?

Last edited:
Guys,
I was using dd-wrt build for RT-AC87U for days and the last available build (01-20-2015-r25974) has no bugs so far besides all functions are working well. I was suffering from ASUS build and even Merlin build, sorry.

I read over on their forums that it was super buggy and the support isnt all that great. This is not true?

Cool, where can I keep up on these builds and discuss? I cant find anything on the dd-wrt forum.

I am not a fan of forums any more. I code for my self. I mod, fix and update src/svn for my own router.

Start a thread and I will write how to flash it in RT-AC87U/R.

dd-wrt

dd-wrt webui for my RT-AC87R
O1LvgZY.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!