What's new

Asus RT-AC88U, USB attached stick slow read just normal write speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ron_dolph

New Around Here
Hi folk,
i am just dealing with very interested issue :) , having Asus RT-AC88U.
Installed Transmission with USB 3.0 Stick(Ext4/Journaling/Swp) (Download Master is another story....), wire-connected PC to this router, using FTP/SMB shares.
FTP/SMB:
- upload from PC to USB(NAS) on router (speed 50MB/s)
- download from USB(NAS) on router to PC (4MB/s)
It is curious cos all USB Sticks are more limited by write, just i have problem with read from it over ethernet.
Trying another stick (even NTFS formated) and it is the same - read slow over ethernet.
Using Asuswrt Merlin 386.12_4

Could you help me?

Could you help me?
Have you tried using a USB 3.0 SSD drive rather than a USB "stick"? What is the router's USB Mode set to?
No matter what you use you will be running into the issue of the router's typically lower end hardware (processor and RAM). Bottom line, the router isn't a real NAS despite having USB ports. If you need good read/write speeds get a real/dedicated NAS.

Thank you for your response :)

Have you tried using a USB 3.0 SSD drive rather than a USB "stick"? What is the router's USB Mode set to?

Did not...SSD. What i did, was to connect to my other actualy AP mode RT-AC86U a there is it like a sharm app. (50R/50W MB/s) and taht is enough for me.
USB Mode - tried when both (2,4/5 GHz) was down, tried USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 mode and nothing helped.

No matter what you use you will be running into the issue of the router's typically lower end hardware (processor and RAM). Bottom line, the router isn't a real NAS despite having USB ports. If you need good read/write speeds get a real/dedicated NAS.

Yes, i agree...but! Why is WRITE speed app. 50MB/s and i can READ max. 3,8MB/s? Is not that curios? :)
While READing (CPU max. 40%, RAM 50%)

I really do not want to believe that this would be a HW problem....

What other troubleshooting steps have you tried?
Have you tried formatting the USB stick for NTFS or FAT32?
Are you running any other scripts other than Transmission?
Did you test the read/write speed of the USB stick in the router before installing Transmission or any other scripts.

Current News:
Disabling QoS brings speed to 10,6 MB/s...(so the rulles was not good)
But 10,6 MB/s is not enough good :)

So i started every settings from defaults, it means "Restore Factory defaults" and it brings success. It was completely sw/settings problem.
Actualy R/W (60/60 MB/s) and it is the right value.

Thanks bennor for your tips

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!