What's new

Asus RT-AC88U

• Thread starter Deleted member 22229
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't think it does 160MHz channels in 5Ghz, so that needs to be tweaked a bit

2165Mbps max. PHY rate per each 160MHz wide 5GHz channel,
1000Mbps max. PHY rate for the 40MHz wide 2.4GHz channel = 3100Mbps class

Reactions: RTN
What is the ram size ? Wikidevi says 256/512

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the ram size ? Wikidevi says 256/512
2x 256MiB=512MiB ;)

sfx2000
Thank you for your comment :) Fixed.

ASUS_01.jpg~original

Judging by the pictures, the USB 3.0 port is on the left face of the plug and on the right are two buttons :D

Last edited:
It's a decent chip - info here from Realtek's site...

So the assumption would be that 4 of the LAN ports hang off the Broadcom SOC directly, and 4 are running on the Realtek switch.

That's correct.

Raises some interesting possibilities as far as traffic management across those ports (considering the RT as an attached unmanaged switch over ethernet) - if the RT has light management, this is even better.

Pretty cool..

What I'm wondering is the interconnect between the two switches. I doubt it's a 8 Gbps bus, so that means for high activity clients that exchange a lot of data between themselves, you might want to try to keep them grouped on the same switch. Otherwise, it's like having two separate switches, with a single Gbps uplink (assuming RGMII interconnect, more if it's PCI-e). This might not be a big issue for the typical home user however, where the typical scenario has one single NAS, with all clients doing high throughput exchanges only with that specific NAS rather than between themselves.

If the price of the rt-ac88u isnt stupid im going to get it when it releases

Going to stick to the broadcom switch
Asus need to let us know which ports are the bcm switch and which are the realtek
they also need to publish exactly how the switches are linked

What I'm wondering is the interconnect between the two switches. I doubt it's a 8 Gbps bus, so that means for high activity clients that exchange a lot of data between themselves, you might want to try to keep them grouped on the same switch. Otherwise, it's like having two separate switches, with a single Gbps uplink (assuming RGMII interconnect, more if it's PCI-e).

Consider the SoC has an internal switch fabric, so it's probably DMA based at a PHY level, but going outside, BRCM will be RGMII to the Realtek (since the Realtek has RGMII and not PCIe)...

That being said, the Realtek chip has good management capabilities for L2/L3, but this suggests that some LAN ports will be more equal than others... and the Realtek chip has very good internal's like the BRCM...

So the way to look at things - Broadcom is a good WAN+4LAN, and the Realtek is a 1GB to the Broadcom with strong GB connections as an attached switch via GigE...

The Realtek switch is documented as having an RGMII interface on the web, so I assume that's how it's linked to the Broadcom switch. That part does not seem to have a PCI-Express interface.

Asus does not officially document which ports are on which switch, but for me it's easy to tell. My firmware will even tell you on the Sysinfo page if a port is Realtek's or Broadcom's. That will make it easy for people to group their devices on a specific switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!