What's new

Problems With Three 5G Hub Bridged to Asus Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oldzskool

Occasional Visitor
Hi All

Been looking all over the internet for advice and/or instructions on how to put a ZTE MC888 5G Hub (three UK network) into bridge mode as a modem and then connect from one of its LAN to the WAN port of my Asus RT AX86s so the MC888 provides the internet to the RT-AX86s to which all my devices connect.

Previously I've been on Vodafone broadband so connected an old Huawei modem and set up the RT-AX86s WAN port in PPPoE mode and entered my Vodafone username and password for internet.

With the MC888 I have put it in bridge mode and connected it to the RT-AX86s' WAN port and then in Quick Internet set up changed the WAN setting to Automatic IP. This works but my speeds are very slow on all devices around 30mbps down and 13mbps up. When connected direcly to the MC888 I can get around 700mbps down and 55mbps up.

Not sure what is wrong here or if I've even got settings right at all, does anyone else use a similar set up that can tell me where I'm going wrong.

Apologies if this has been posted before, I couldn't seem to find any clear information about it so any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I do not believe cellular service allows for true 'bridge' mode.

I hope others prove me wrong for your sake.

What speeds do you get when you don't 'bridge' it and connect your router's WAN port to one of the MC888's LAN ports?

So I just tried this, if I put the MC888 in default mode and connect router WAN to MC888 LAN I get even slower speeds.

Are you saying this router doesn't function properly as a modem?

If it doesn't then I'm left with two choices, send it back and cancel contract or ditch the RT AX86s and I really don't want to do either.

This could be the easiest fix ever! I have neighbours who were on EE 4G - cabinet full etc - and their ISP-supplied device worked differently than expected. All they had to do was set the WAN connection type to "automatic IP" - no username or password, all that managed by the ISP-Device.

This could be the easiest fix ever! I have neighbours who were on EE 4G - cabinet full etc - and their ISP-supplied device worked differently than expected. All they had to do was set the WAN connection type to "automatic IP" - no username or password, all that managed by the ISP-Device.
When I do that I get slow speeds between 20 and 30mbps down, it doesn't matter if the MC888 is in bridge mode or just staight out of the box normal, if I connect to the MC888 as a router I get super fast 200+ mbps download speed and its confusing the hell out of me why?

Last edited:
I do not believe cellular service allows for true 'bridge' mode.

Crazy enough - over in Europe, things are a bit different - depends on the carrier and gateway capabilities...