What's new

Release Asus RT-AX86 Series Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24231 (11/07/2023)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi all,
I have a RT-AX86U and I'm considering updating to latest firmware but I also have some of the Kasa/TP link smart plugs and I'm wondering if these are still causing a issue after updating? I only have the RT-AX86U, no AIMesh etc and I have them all on a separate guest network with no access to main network, been setup this way for a while. Been waiting on a update to this for a while but not heard anything and this is only think holding me back on doing the update.
Thanks for any update.
Kev

Hi all,
I have a RT-AX86U and I'm considering updating to latest firmware but I also have some of the Kasa/TP link smart plugs and I'm wondering if these are still causing a issue after updating? I only have the RT-AX86U, no AIMesh etc and I have them all on a separate guest network with no access to main network, been setup this way for a while. Been waiting on a update to this for a while but not heard anything and this is only think holding me back on doing the update.
Thanks for any update.
Kev
I would like to know this also :)

I would like to know this also :)

Save your configuration, upgrade the firmware - test. If not good - downgrade the firmware, reset, upload your saved configuration, wait for a new firmware.

You didn't specify if you were also using AIMesh vs a single router with this issue. In the past I've had quite a bit of trouble with my Wiz bulbs disconnecting on any router. The fix for me was to put the bulbs on their own 2.4GHZ guest with intranet access disabled so there was no interaction between the guest and main network(s). Maybe try that with your plugs, if you haven't already. Also I have a couple of amazon smart plugs, and they function normally on the main 2.4ghz network. It was only the bulbs which seem to need their own network.

I haven't tried any Kasa products, just TP-Link routers.
Thank you iFrogMac. This occurred before I recently added a node and started using aimesh. I reported this problem to ASUS this morning using the Feedback tab in the Administration function of the RT-AX86U as I did not see any new firmware since November which introduced the bug. In the past, I have waited for new firmware and it always fixed bugs that were introduced by new versions. I hope others are reporting this problem so ASUS fixes this bug.

Save your configuration, upgrade the firmware - test. If not good - downgrade the firmware, reset, upload your saved configuration, wait for a new firmware.
Thanks - that's what I did and have done for years when finding bugs. I usually don't have to re-apply or restore settings, even when downgrading

Something extremely strange has happened while on this firmware. I upgraded probably a month ago and reset my all my VPN keys a month ago.

Today, all of a sudden, I find myself unable to connect via VPN and my router-side OpenVPN keys and Wireguard keys have been completely reset and the Port Forwarding settings were completely wiped out. Everything else remains the same (SSID, Wifi passwords, admin password) as far as I can tell. Router is still locked from WAN side.

I live alone so it’s not someone else in the household.

I have no idea what caused this, but I’m thinking
- Hackers? But it would be strange for them to remove my port forwarding settings. If anything, they would want to open more floodgates
- Cosmic rays? But again, strange that my SSID and Wifi passwords and admin password are unaffected
- A rather unpleasant bug in this firmware?

I have never seen this type of behavior before on Asus stock firmware. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. Maybe I need to wipe the NVRAM and start fresh.

Something extremely strange has happened while on this firmware. I upgraded probably a month ago and reset my all my VPN keys a month ago.

Today, all of a sudden, I find myself unable to connect via VPN and my router-side OpenVPN keys and Wireguard keys have been completely reset and the Port Forwarding settings were completely wiped out. Everything else remains the same (SSID, Wifi passwords, admin password) as far as I can tell. Router is still locked from WAN side.

I live alone so it’s not someone else in the household.

I have no idea what caused this, but I’m thinking
- Hackers? But it would be strange for them to remove my port forwarding settings. If anything, they would want to open more floodgates
- Cosmic rays? But again, strange that my SSID and Wifi passwords and admin password are unaffected
- A rather unpleasant bug in this firmware?

I have never seen this type of behavior before on Asus stock firmware. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. Maybe I need to wipe the NVRAM and start fresh.
I was going to mention the possibility of corrupt storage / ram. Maybe the router's storage needs to be cleaned, or you had some corruption. Maybe try a factory reset, and clean setup.

I was going to mention the possibility of corrupt storage / ram. Maybe the router's storage needs to be cleaned, or you had some corruption. Maybe try a factory reset, and clean setup.
Yea. I think I'll just wipe it and start fresh. Hopefully, that solves it. Very strange

Yea. I think I'll just wipe it and start fresh. Hopefully, that solves it. Very strange
Before you wipe and reset,
Pull the power while it is on, wait 1 minute, and put the barrel plug end back in for a clean boot.
Also see here:

Where exactly? RT-AC86U and RT-AX68U are EoL.
Well, it was you who said it, and it's possible I mixed up the 6 and 8. Yes the AX68U is on the list, but it looked like the 86U was also mentioned. Sorry if I read it wrong, or if there was a typo that is now corrected on that thread.

I expect firmware update soon. Other models were updated already. Asus discovered something off around AiMesh.

From other models recent firmware update changelog:

*Please be advised that due to a security upgrade in AiMesh, we strongly recommend against downgrading to previous firmware versions, as this may lead to connection issues. Should you encounter any difficulties, resetting the AiMesh router to its default settings and re-establishing the mesh connection can resolve the problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!