What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U Pro different VPN Internet connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sunly

New Around Here
Hello!
ASUS RT-AX86UPro with Merlin: the desktop PC with network id 192.168.8.172 should use Wireguard for the Internet connection,
the notebook with network id 192.168.8.29 should use OpenVPN for the Internet connection.
What do I need to set to make this work?

I'm no expert on this, but I am using Wireguard myself and I found it to be a fairly simple process to set up. You just need to switch it on and add a user. Then, you will be presented with two options; a QR code for mobile phones and an option to export the configuration file for computers. All you have to do then is download and install the Wireguard app on your devices and then either add a tunnel by scanning the QR code in the router's GUI or importing the configuration file if using a computer. OpenVPN is a bit more involved from what I remember, but if you click on the ? in the GUI, it will give you some links to help you set it up.

I'm no expert on this, but I am using Wireguard myself and I found it to be a fairly simple process to set up. You just need to switch it on and add a user. Then, you will be presented with two options; a QR code for mobile phones and an option to export the configuration file for computers. All you have to do then is download and install the Wireguard app on your devices and then either add a tunnel by scanning the QR code in the router's GUI or importing the configuration file if using a computer. OpenVPN is a bit more involved from what I remember, but if you click on the ? in the GUI, it will give you some links to help you set it up.
The OP means VPN client not VPN server.

Use the VPN Director to configure individual clients. Better yet use the VPN app on the client. You will get better performance than using the router as a VPN client.

What do I need to set to make this work?

Easiest to manage - corresponding VPN clients on your desktop and notebook.

yes, I use VPN-Director. But the desktop PC and the notebook both use the same client OpenVPN.
The desktop PC should use Wireguard and the notebook should use OpenVPN. How do I have to set VPN-Director so that it is used like this?
At the moment I have set at VPN-Director-rule Iface OVPN1 Local IP 192.168.8.29 (notebook) and Iface WGC1 at Local IP 192.168.8.172 (desktop PC).
For both (desktop PC and notebook), however, OVPN is used for the Internet connection.
What do I need to set so that they don't both use OVPN for internert connection?

What do I need to set so that they don't both use OVPN for internert connection?
If you haven't seen it already, see the Asus-Merlin Wiki page for VPN-Director, which generally explains how that feature works. You will likely, if you haven't done so already, need to create a VPN Director "rule" to handle the clients.
On the VPN Director page you can create rules, by selecting the local and remote IPs (these are optional, you can leave one of the fields empty to indicate "any IP"), as well as the destination (either WAN to bypass all VPN tunnels, or one of the five OpenVPN/WireGuard clients). You can also enter a short description to identify that rule on the web interface.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!